Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Red Rover?

Red Rover is starting to grow on me, but I'm still not totally sure what to think about it. The same goes for Come.

Just curious...but what is it about Red Rover that you like so much. I really need to know.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, this is a mystery, but there are many speculations...

I thought it was about childhood, then now some think it is about his brother Greg's death, now people feel it is about Lindsey's mom and the death of their father.

I think this song is open for interpretations, as Lindsey like to do that.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been listening to Red Rover for so long now that I simply love it...but I do remember for a very long time, and to a certain extent even still, I liked it so much because it's a very musically suprising song. Someone who hadn't heard it before would have no idea where it's going. My favourite part is when he says "something you can't touch"....."keep it so well hid"......"what you can do"......"heaven or hell"........the way he sings those parts is so damn cool! And that chorus kicks ass aswell...! "Could see you were dying, but no one was crying"....!

Old 04-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueGrass
I thought it was about childhood, then now some think it is about his brother Greg's death, now people feel it is about Lindsey's mom and the death of their father.
Well, I still think it must have a little something to do with his childhood. I mean...the name of the song is a childhood game, unless there is another meaning to Red Rover.

It must be about a number of events in his life, and maybe not just a specific event. I guess it will always be a mystery.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
I've been listening to Red Rover for so long now that I simply love it...but I do remember for a very long time, and to a certain extent even still, I liked it so much because it's a very musically suprising song.
I don't remember listening to the demo of Red Rover, so I guess that's why it's so fresh to me. It's certainly has a lot going on and sometimes all at once.

And that chorus kicks ass aswell...! "Could see you were dying, but no one was crying"....!

This is the part of the song that I like. I'll have to keep playing it some more. I'll be sure to listen to those parts that you mentioned. I'm trying to keep an open mind about this one. It's kind of like Go Insane. At first, I was puzzled by some of those tracks. It all came together after reading some of the reviews and listening to some of them a number of times.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I have been listening and examining this song for a year and a half now and I think it is my fav FM/Lindsey song.

I like the intro vocals..where he goes, "Why, why do you you come around"...his voice sounds so cool like you guys said.

I like how after the first part of the song, it stops, and then starts right back up to.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default I'll REPOST about my thoughts...

Okee folks..I've been singing this at work ALL DAY long and with the lyrics that I now know (which were NOT what I thought he was saying), I think I've figured out what this is about. Dang, it's hard to sing the RIGHT lyrics!! LOL I believe this song is Lindsey telling his mom it's okay to grieve for his father.

Why do you come around so very much (go to the gravesite)

You know it just brings you down, it's just something you can touch (the gravestone? Going to the site depresses her?)

You don't belong here, I guess you never did. (Hmm...not sure about this line, she doesn't belong at the gravesite??)

Whisper murder in your ear, you just keep it so well hid.(MURDER!!?! WHAT??!!? LOL Can anyone explain this!?!? Her keeping her feelings and emotions hidden from the family. Perhaps, she was being strong and stoic for her boys, not showing her emotions in front of them? Some people are like that in the grieving process)

Anyone at all, could see what was missing (Dad was missing?)

Could see you were dyin', though no one was cryin' (She was dying inside after the loss of her husband, Lindsey's family seems REALLY REALLY close)

And the lips you were kissing, night after night (mom kissing dad)

All were bathed in blue, all bathed in white (Blue and white from death..paleness perhaps?)

One of the quiet ones, one of the few (She is quiet and strong, not crying in front of others, not wailing and sobbing)

Now fall down onto your knees (I think this is a demand for her to cry out to God, to ask WHY her husband died so young, let it out, he's saying)

Show us all what you can do (Show the family that you are hurting like we are?)

We came around here, to see if you were well (The family went to see if mom was okay)

And there's nothing for you to fear, in heaven or in hell. (Don't fear death and know that dad is in heaven?)

Red Rover, Red Rover...we come to take you over (The angels/spirits are taking his dad to the other side...heaven)

NOW, my original thoughts were that in the line about lips...I thought he was saying "And I did hear what you said, now I can die." Well, I'm an idiot. LOL
Old 04-17-2003, 02:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the typical Lindsey voice manipulated far away sound on the chorus f.e. "and the lips you were kissing..." and so on. Sounds simply great!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default I love this song!

I have absolute ZERO idea about what it means, especially now that I know he was whispering MURDER - what the?!

But it's so beautiful and complex melodically. Yes, the "Red Rover" chant is a little unnerving, but the "ahh-ahh" over it make it blend into the song.

The only fault I find with it is that it seems that some of the lyrics, poetic as they are, seem awkwardly stuffed into the melody. The natural cadence, syllablic stresses, and pauses have been thrown away so that the song will fit the cadence of the melody.

Just speak it and you'll see:

Normal: lips-you-were-KISSing

RR: lips-youwerekiss-ING

No wonder we couldn't understand him!

Old 04-17-2003, 01:17 PM

Nancy, I bet that was all intentional.

I have a different take from Christy's on this song. To me, it is about someone who is dying slowly. He is speaking to the afflicted person. It might well be someone who has a drug problem and is going through a lot of emotional pain:

"Whisper murder... well hid." This could be about the great lenghths a drug addict will go to to hide the disease. Or, if it's about someone who is dying of some illness, it could be a reference to trying to hide the pain, be strong and face the day.

"You don't belong here..." To me, this is a common sentiment expressed after someone you love and/or respect dies. I would translated this to: "You are not of this world." Meaning, the person was larger than life.

The song makes me think of Curt Cobain, though it is unlikely that Lindsey was singing about him.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default DANG!!

I was wrong!! Read Livia's post:

I'm gonna jump around here a bit and skip to the end. I asked LB, off the air, what Red Rover is about. This is gonna blow your minds! He said that he imagined a set of Greek Gods looking down on earth, on the human race, watching us be self-destructive and wondering what we were going to do next. And should the Gods pull the plug on the human race? It was wild! I'm sorry I don't remember verbatim, I was jotting down notes as fast as I could while he was talking, but that was basically it.

THANK GOD FOR LIVIA and her chance to ask the MAN!!!!!!

It is BLOWING MY MIND that I had a TOTALLY different interp than what he was going for!!!!!!! Now, I love this song THAT much more....because GREEK GODS...THAT IS AWESOME TO ME!!!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: DANG!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
It is BLOWING MY MIND that I had a TOTALLY different interp than what he was going for!!!!!!! Now, I love this song THAT much more....because GREEK GODS...THAT IS AWESOME TO ME!!!!!
LOL!

I've already said this in the other thread, but I'll say it again. It certainly puts a whole new perspective on things. Now, I see why the chant sounds so robotic. Especially the part:

Red Rover red rover red rover
We've come we've come we've come
we've come to take you over

I'll have to listen to it some more. Still, I wonder what's up with the lips turning blue, white, and then...red rover. Could this whole verse vaguely represent the USA?
Old 04-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL, even that we know this song is about Greek Gods I am still puzzled. HOW IN THE HELL DOES THIS FIT INTO THE LYRICS?!?!?!
Old 04-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueGrass
LOL, even that we know this song is about Greek Gods I am still puzzled. HOW IN THE HELL DOES THIS FIT INTO THE LYRICS?!?!?!
Well, I think it fits if these gods are looking down at us and don't like what they see. Who knows...maybe it's just an underlying theme. It could actually apply to some of his other songs on the album. Someone in the Rumours forum said that this could just be Lindsey's way of playing it safe, without having to go through the personal meaning of the song. It's possible.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Something irks me about the way he says Red Rover Red Rover Red Rover.. it just sounds creepy and I don't like it.

The words are good as hell though.. I like to *read* the words. I just don't like to hear him say them all creepy.

Greek Gods is an interesting thought.. I'm going to have to think about that for a while.

Sarah