User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default For those who've heard SYW...

Does Lindsey push envelopes or is this just the same old, same old FM that we all know and love?

I haven't heard any other songs besides PK so I'm curious as to what you all think of the new album, those who've heard it on AOL or whatever. DO TELL!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can only comment on the snippets etc that I've heard - I haven't heard the AOL stream.

Say You Will
Smile At You
Destiny Rules
Thrown Down

I can comment on the prodcution of these if you like, but it would be spoiler stuff.

I guess as a general evaluation, the best way to say it is that he has refined his process, learning from his years of experience, and this is all very fresh, varied and powerful - with an emphasis on acoustic guitar and hihat percussion!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I posted a little bit of what I heard over on a thread on the Rumours page . . . I don't think you will be disappointed!

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 04-11-2003, 11:58 AM

There's definitely some envelope pushing, including on Stevie's songs. Lindsey did well.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

*Warning: possible spoiler for LB fans who want the album to be a
complete
surprise.*

Seeing as this is the LB forum, I'm answering this question purely in terms of the Lindsey Buckingham songs on the album, and I will say that this is some of the best work he's ever done. If you remove all the LB songs and put them onto a separate CD, there is not a single song which is anything less than fantastic. "What's The World Coming To" is a brilliant song, and Mick's drum beat is a good album opener. "Come", "Red Rover" and "Murrow" have been left untouched (from a musical point of view at least - I can't tell when the sound is coming from a stream but I assume their production has been improved, the sound levels on "Come" have been very noticeably corrected). "Miranda" also sounds exactly how we know it, except that it now has well placed Stevie backing vocals here and there. "Peacekeeper" has the lyrics that Lindsey wanted and not Warner Bros., i.e. "only kill", not "break their will", and it makes such a huge difference, for the better. "Bleed To Love Her" sounds as sweet as ever, and he's kept those cool volume-swell effects, which make the song even more peaceful. "Steal Your Heart Away" sounds great with Stevie's vocals, "Say Goodbye" includes Stevie's backing, and there is some additional instrumentation at some points througout the song, including a fast paced "Red Rover" style paced that I couldn't hear on the GOS demo version.

Even though I said I'll only talk about LB songs in this post, I HAVE to mention the outstanding production work on "Illume (9/11)" and "Goodbye Baby", both of which are also two of the best Stevie songs I've ever heard. The latter is as moving as, if not more than, "Storms", especially to someone who knows what the song is about.

Great job LB...GREAT job!!!

Last edited by seteca; 04-11-2003 at 02:30 PM..
Old 04-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

I have to agree with everyone else. It's actually difficult to describe the album as a whole. There is so much variety. There isn't one particular FM sound that I can think of at the moment. Stevie's songs are very true to her solo work, but with Lindsey's input. Lindsey's songs are very much like his solo work, but some are even better IMO. Mick & John have a major presence, and their combined energy is so refreshing. Then, you have songs that sound like they've borrowed from some of their previously released material. It's a great album! You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LB "pulled out the stops" for the album SYW. For example (of many), on Everybody Finds Out, he is incredible musically and vocally (he magnificently is all over this on many many different layers and actual sounds and full on words). There is so much going on in this one - it takes a few listens. I also believe I hear strings (violins, cellos, etc.) or at least synthed strings on this one.

Also, LB's stark production and similar playing on GoodBye Baby is perfection and bliss.

Kudos to LB for this record!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-11-2003, 01:15 PM

Seteca, I didn't think Say Goodbye had been changed musically, just mixed a bit differently. Maybe it is. I'll have to listen to it again.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Seteca, I didn't think Say Goodbye had been changed musically, just mixed a bit differently. Maybe it is. I'll have to listen to it again.
Hey CV, check out around the 1:10:47 mark on that AOL stream..there's some added beats and possibly some extra guitar/synth work during that "when the lies come around" part. The Stevie backing during those 3 or so lines works incredibly well, her voice sounds really soft and cute!

Last edited by seteca; 04-11-2003 at 07:40 PM..
Old 04-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default hey....

..it all sounds really good news...but don't forget about us little guys who have to wait another 17 days!!!!!! and my computer dosn't even download RM auto files,so I'm doubley stuck
Oh well......I'll just sit here twiddling my thumbs.......

Last edited by tuigirl; 04-11-2003 at 03:58 PM..