User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Well, if she thinks they're about her - of course she does!
Well, she thinks they're all about her, especially Murrow! That doesn't mean she always likes them.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, she thinks they're all about her, especially Murrow! That doesn't mean she always likes them.
Come again? I missed that... Murrow??
Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Come again? I missed that... Murrow??
Murrow Turning Over in His Grave. I joked that Stevie thinks that's about her.

Michele
Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, if she thinks they're about her - of course she does!
I think Stevie thinks Come is about her, and that's why she doesn't like it/won't sing it.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry, but I'm mad at Stephanie. That WSS / IOOT comparison PROVES this should have been a Mac ablum.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Murrow Turning Over in His Grave. I joked that Stevie thinks that's about her.

Michele
Oh, yeah...I thought you meant she had actually said it was about her.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nothing - NOTHING - will convince me that they don't still release material that references their relationship, whether directly, indirectly, thematically, historically or in the present day. They developed a fairly simple and overt technique at the time of Rumours of speaking to and about each other in that way, when they couldn't communicate as people any more, and it has carried on, on both sides. And I'd suggest you have to be being wilfully perverse not to interpret at least some of these 'latest' LB lyrics that way?

I also think that Kristen Buckingham understands completely the various roles that SN plays in her husband's life: muse, friend, colleague, nemesis ... Really healthy relationships can cope with that kind of honesty and complexity. And of course it's all that much easier when you remember that SN doesn't actually want LB any more either!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And ok. I don't think Secret Love was written about LB. But I definitely do connect its revival in the new album to him. When I hear, "we've already passed it," I compare that to "We crossed the line."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
They developed a fairly simple and overt technique at the time of Rumours of speaking to and about each other in that way, when they couldn't communicate as people any more, and it has carried on, on both sides.
What's interesting to me is that they both started using recurring symbols before FM and they still use those same symbols today and they are symbols that they share. You can say they are very common and all songwriters use them, but Christine wasn't running around winning, losing and drawing lines all over the place.

Christine has done "Who's Dreaming This Dream," but Lindsey and Stevie use "dream" with inordinate regularity and I cannot help but connect their separate dreams to each other.

Michele
Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
So, to compare...

His:
"We crossed the line
From the fire we were running"

Hers:
"And even though they were so in love
They drew a line in the sand just because
In the smoke and the fire
She burned his house down"
Stevie's lyric here is a reference to Wide Sargasso Sea, isn't it? It's basically the entire plot of the novel summed up in four lines.

However, in some of these new songs ("Stars," "The Way Love Goes") there's definitely a sense of impossible longing that might make a person wonder what Lindsey uses as a reference point when communicating this kind of longing and regret in his songs.

(My apologies for English-majoring it up here. )
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What's interesting to me is that they both started using recurring symbols before FM and they still use those same symbols today and they are symbols that they share. You can say they are very common and all songwriters use them, but Christine wasn't running around winning, losing and drawing lines all over the place.

Christine has done "Who's Dreaming This Dream," but Lindsey and Stevie use "dream" with inordinate regularity and I cannot help but connect their separate dreams to each other.
Yup. It does pre-date Rumours, I agree, but I think '76-77 was the point at which songwriting became their main channel of communication. And yes, 'dream(s)' is an absolutely key word.

Their lyrics as a whole actually remind me a little of the Brontes' 'Gondol' fantasy: a private but shared world with its own artefacts and language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah View Post
In some of these new songs ("Stars," "The Way Love Goes") there's definitely a sense of impossible longing that might make a person wonder what Lindsey uses as a reference point when communicating this kind of longing and regret in his songs.
Yes, that's what I was getting at but you've put it much better! The yearning tone just doesn't square with LB's much-vaunted contentment in the present day, so either the lyrics were written quite a long time ago, or he's not as content as he appears, or they're not about him?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as interpretations go, I find many UTS and Stevie's TISL and SYW songs to be about The Dance and Will's birth, while I think this new batch of Lindsey songs are about what went on from 2003-2009.

UTS is about loss, but it's actually more upbeat than what we've seen of SWS. UTS is about making amends, reconciling, nurturing, dealing with loss but facing a future that holds new and different promise.

In SWS we find that the future didn't take away the pain. It's still there and will remain and can't be replaced with other joys or compensations, nor can it be papered around. They tried to continue some kind of love relationship, but had to break that off, because it was too painful to be half in and half out of a relationship. It caused her harm. So, there's this realization threading through the songs that we'll have to live with this unfilled hole until death. While UTS had regret, tinged with optimism, these new songs have regret saddled with a bit of despair, because now you know it can't be healed. Been there, tried that, didn't work.

Michele
Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ Brilliantly put. I think that's it, precisely.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Agreed, Michele nailed it, I think.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's pretty obvious, isn't it?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I agree. Once again Michele hits the nail on the head.