Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey's Inspired Solos

Since this is being discussed here and there...

What is your favorite or most memorable Lindsey solo (from ANY time period)?

Mine falls under memorable because picking my favorite is too difficult. The first time I was able to see FM live was in 2003, he really sent me to my knees with his Come solo. I have seen plenty of performances from the 70s on of FM on DVD, but live is, as everyone knows, totally different. Not many people there knew that song at the time because it was just released (obviously not huge Buckingham/GOS fans) and by the time he was done everyone was on their feet cheering. He blew everyone away with that song.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1LiddyBuckFan View Post
Mine falls under memorable because picking my favorite is too difficult. The first time I was able to see FM live was in 2003, he really sent me to my knees with his Come solo. I have seen plenty of performances from the 70s on of FM on DVD, but live is, as everyone knows, totally different. Not many people there knew that song at the time because it was just released (obviously not huge Buckingham/GOS fans) and by the time he was done everyone was on their feet cheering. He blew everyone away with that song.
I can't say the Come solo is my favorite, but my 2nd SYW show was the same way, excitement-wise. I knew it was coming, so I just stayed on my feet through the entire first part . Lots of people around me were sitting, but I figured they'd just be standing up in a minute anyway, so I didn't bother sitting down to get out of their view.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
I can't say the Come solo is my favorite, but my 2nd SYW show was the same way, excitement-wise. I knew it was coming, so I just stayed on my feet through the entire first part . Lots of people around me were sitting, but I figured they'd just be standing up in a minute anyway, so I didn't bother sitting down to get out of their view.
I havent seen the Dance tour...but on the Dance DVD the solo at the end of "I'm So Afraid" still gets me. I love the tone on that.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Speaking of tone, the solo and the end (and middle) of Running Through the Garden is just a gorgeous sound. And I don't know how the hell he plays so fast and accurately on it, since outside of Say You Will he's never done that, but it's quite a powerful solo.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I havent seen the Dance tour...but on the Dance DVD the solo at the end of "I'm So Afraid" still gets me. I love the tone on that.
That is a phenomenal performance of that song.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

F-YA I do miss come.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nicki View Post
Speaking of tone, the solo and the end (and middle) of Running Through the Garden is just a gorgeous sound. And I don't know how the hell he plays so fast and accurately on it, since outside of Say You Will he's never done that, but it's quite a powerful solo.
His tone sounds like a mosquito on acid to me. Anybody can sound fast when they slow the tape down, play the solo, then play it back at normal speed. (same thing he did on "This Is The Time" & "Play In The Rain")

My fave solo of his is on "Isn't It Midnight".
Old 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
His tone sounds like a mosquito on acid to me. Anybody can sound fast when they slow the tape down, play the solo, then play it back at normal speed. (same thing he did on "This Is The Time" & "Play In The Rain")
I figured it was that, but it doesn't sound as tinny and obviously sped up as his usual sped up solos. Though I believe he plays notes higher than the guitar can hit, so that should have tipped me off.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:51 PM
buckymcnix
This message has been deleted by buckymcnix.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nicki View Post
Sounds like a trick with the tape speed. Good solo though.

I like the solos he did on the Tango in the Night album.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like the tone he got in RTTG from speeding the tap up. I also really like the tone (noise? lol) of the Murrow solo. It just sounds so busy. The speeding up solos thing there is cool. The tone on Come isn't as good as his non-sped up tone though.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I really like the tone he got in RTTG from speeding the tap up. I also really like the tone (noise? lol) of the Murrow solo. It just sounds so busy. The speeding up solos thing there is cool. The tone on Come isn't as good as his non-sped up tone though.
Yea the solo on Come has definitely been sped up. If you're really interested (which I'm sure you're not!) you can find a thread from a couple of years ago in which I explained why I'm sure it is.

It's really obvious when solos are significantly sped up because speeding up a musical instrument is similar to speeding up the video of a moving car - the car does appear to be moving faster, sure, but then all the other things associated with that speed (such as the way the car moves, the rate at which it slows down, speeds up, stops, turns) all look completely ridiculous. The more you speed the video up, the more stupidly obvious it becomes that the car was not originally moving that fast. Same thing goes with musical instruments. Yes, the notes are faster, but all the things which are associated with playing a guitar at that speed are missing/sound weird&wrong (and some impossibilities are there as well, just like the 500mph car which suddenly stops at the lights.) The totally artificial ringing/decay of notes is at the top of a large list of tell-tail signs.

Come, Murrow, Running Through The Garden, Instrumental Introduction to This Is The Time...to name a few. Very obviously sped up.

Now the question is...does he do it in order to create the song he has in his vision, in which case doing what he has done is a demonstration of his great production abilities - or - does he do it in order to make listeners think he can play electric guitar faster than he actually can?

I don't just put that question to LB, I put it to any guitarist who speeds up solos on a song. In LB's case, I'm pretty sure it's the former and because he would never want a session guitarist to play a solo for him, but maybe there's also a teeny tiny bit of the latter there aswell.....

Last edited by seteca; 02-15-2007 at 08:02 AM..
Old 02-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seteca View Post
YNow the question is...does he do it in order to create the song he has in his vision, in which case doing what he has done is a demonstration of his great production abilities - or - does he do it in order to make listeners think he can play electric guitar faster than he actually can?

I don't just put that question to LB, I put it to any guitarist who speeds up solos on a song. In LB's case, I'm pretty sure it's the former and because he would never want a session guitarist to play a solo for him, but maybe there's also a teeny tiny bit of the latter there aswell.....
you're probably right there. as a listener though, whatever his intentions were (self serving or serving the song) doesn't detract or add so it's almost irrelevant what he was trying to do, for me at least. my favourite solo would be the studio version of Murrow. technical brilliance or simplicity is irrelevant to the enjoyment level for my ears. I can appreciate the talent of someone like jimmy page but I'd sooner listen to murrow or sisters of the moon, I love that solo too.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Billo

The solo that keeps jumping out of my head (heh) is Second Hand News.....I know, not obscure, but very Lindsey and very appropriate for the song. And I just love it wailing thru the fade out.

I have to laugh at some of the guessing that goes on here. I for one just can't picture LB giving a flying **** about whether we think he plays the guitar fast or not. Nor, do I think he does a tape-speed solo to impress from a production standpoint. I would say it stems more from trying to do something weird, and something that pleases his ears. And also, probably stems from the influence of Hendrix, The Beatles, Brian Wilson and others that manipulated tape speeds, directions, etc. I mean, I see him more as an artist and just liking the texture and something different....probably why he's used that effect numerous times.

I also don't think he views himself or his place in the world as a lead guitarist per se.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Something else to consider - he's never slowed down a guitar solo. Either because he doesn't want us to think he is really that slow, or because he loves the frantic energy of sped up sounds. The latter being quite likely. But I can't think of him speeding anything else up. Just guitars, and guitar SOLOS at that.

I can think of other artists that record a song and slow the entire thing down, which creates a pretty nice effect. The only thing that bothers me and makes it suspicious is that he only speeds up solos (well actually he speeds up voices all the time too) and he never slows down. He needs to branch out more!
Old 02-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i can't think of any solos that sounded slowed by any artist. i'm not disputing that it's done.. i just can't think of anything off the top of my head. example, please?

i also can't think of a time that i've ever liked the sound of what i've played slowed down, other than when i'm trying to isolate a particular segment and can't think fast enough. but i'm not by any means a professional, so i'm sure it's application is beyond my technically-limited vision at this point.