Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Speaking of Stevie....

I'm not naive enough to think Lindsey never lost his cool, went nuts and maybe got physically violent with a girlfriend or a co-worker. But, I'm not sure he was ever what could be classified as physically abusive or a 'woman-beater' because I don't think Stevie would have stayed with him. And, even if she would have, I don't think she would have ever been able to say that her Dad adored Lindsey and that he would always be in her life for that fact alone. I'll never be convinced Jess Nicks would "adore" a man who beat his daughter. I also don't think Stevie would have been comfortable hugging Lindsey or letting him hug her or drape his arm around her neck as he has done in every decade of photos I've seen. She would have kept her distance from him.
True, and her mother liked him too.

I get the impression about Lindsey and Stevie, not that they never tussled, but that even though he is obviously bigger and stronger than her that he never used more force on her than she used on him. She seems to have a bravado about her (i.e. when she said she'd beat up people with her tamborine and boots) that gives the impression that she thinks she can take care of herself physically even if we logically know she can't and I don't think someone who has been physically victimized would have that air.

It reminds me of her talking about beating up Chris until her father finally gave Chris permission to hit her back. Jess didn't think a boy should hit a girl, but when the older sister took advantage of that maxim, Jess relented and told Chris he could defend himself. Then, she stopped picking on her little brother. I think she has always imagined herself as tough -- even if she's not. And I'm sure she and Lindsey have tangled, but she just doesn't seem like she's been overpowered or made to cower.

I feel that she is aware of him physically though. I get the impression that she's more afraid of him saying things to her sometimes. I've said this before, but you know that video when she is bent over a steam machine? She and Robin are there and Lindsey starts approaching her from across the room and she seems really nervous the whole time he is walking. When he gets to her, he says something very innocuous like "hi girls" or something. But she seemed pretty jumpy. And every time they performed Angel, it looked to me like she was always wondering where he was. Like, "Is he coming to the mic? What's he doing? Where is he?"

But yeah what you said about the neck and the draping. I think we are all taken by that moment in Mirage where he comes and leans on her back and you just have this feeling that this man is coming and lying on her and she doesn't even pay attention because . . . I don't know . . . she's used to his body on hers.

Michele