The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2020, 09:23 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,494
Default 2020 Movie Reviews

1. Underwater, grade C+ = is deep sea disaster, monster movie. For a January movie this horror sci-fi movie is decent. Usually the movie industry dumps its total duds in the month of January but this movie has plenty going for it, most notable is the lightning speed pacing. Right off the bat the crew of the deep sea station is in trouble and thatís it. The movie is a race for survival for 99% of the movie. The acting is good. The special effects are decent and the monsters are surprising in ways. The problem with the movie is there is no character development and basically no plot but survival. Also, the movie is really dark and sometimes itís hard to tell what is going on.

If you like movies like Alien, Pandorum, The Relic, Leviathon, or Deep Star Six, you will probably like this movie. Itís not as good as some of those but itís decent, especially for a January movie.
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 01-28-2020, 04:03 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,989
Default

Hereís a publicity shot of cute little Ronald Raccoon, co-star of Flahertyís LOUISIANA STORY (1948), a decent enough little picture about confused but satisfied Acadians, frolicking in the shadows of oil derricks in the swampy bayous. Ronald Raccoon walks off with the acting honors in this petit-portrait. Aside from Ronald, itís refreshing to see a picture whose cuts need to be shorter, not longer, and to see the poor when they arenít all bent out of shape over being poor, or hopped up on political grievances!

I have nothing to say about Virgil Thomson.



__________________

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2020, 03:43 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,494
Default

2. Gretal and Hansel, grade C+ = another horror movie, great atmosphere, some genuinely scary moments but a story I couldnít quite make sense at the end. There is a witch in this movie and her story gets muddled at the end and it really hurts the movie. However this movie has great art direction and I did enjoy looking at it. Itís a mixed bag.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2020, 07:15 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,494
Default

3. Birds of Prey, grade C = Blah! Margot Robbie is a great Harley Quinn and that plus some decent fight scenes is all the good stuff. The story is only ok, there is no joker, and the evil guy is not that evil or appealing. Huntress is barely in the story and black canary is wasted. Another February dud. They should of just made this an origin story about HarleyQuinn and skipped the other women.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2020, 11:36 AM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
3. Birds of Prey, grade C = Blah! Margot Robbie is a great Harley Quinn and that plus some decent fight scenes is all the good stuff. The story is only ok, there is no joker, and the evil guy is not that evil or appealing. Huntress is barely in the story and black canary is wasted. Another February dud. They should of just made this an origin story about HarleyQuinn and skipped the other women.
It's funny that one of the big complaints from fans about Suicide Squad was: "Not enough Joker!"

WB's response: No Joker at all!

sad.

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut
__________________
"They love each other so much, they think they hate each other."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-18-2020, 06:02 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,671
Default

Ok, Parasite was lovely. I really enjoyed it! It was a dark film, but I found myself laughing at times.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 02-19-2020 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 AM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Ok, Parasite was lovely. I really enjoyed it! It was a dark film, but I found myself laughing at times.
I thought it was a terrible film, and am disturbed by its popularity.

On Facebook, a friend's mother asked me if I disliked it because it demonstrates "class differences" (considering how well she knows me, the question is bewildering -- I saw NASHVILLE with her in theaters!)

The answer to that charge is clear: the movie portrays the struggling classes as cretinous and the rich as vaguely suffering from mental challenges. In other words, it's phony.

A stranger on Twitter said the movie has the best editing, cinematography, and screenplay of the year! Oscar-speak. sigh. I responded that the editing failed to raise suspense (e.g., the coffee table sequence) or clarity (e.g., who killed whom at the end, and why?). The cinematography, I believe translates as "I want that house!" The screenplay? I think it's "OMG, there's a guy in the basement!"

Hateful film. And no fun. And I'm easy.
__________________
"They love each other so much, they think they hate each other."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-26-2020, 08:24 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I thought it was a terrible film, and am disturbed by its popularity.

On Facebook, a friend's mother asked me if I disliked it because it demonstrates "class differences" (considering how well she knows me, the question is bewildering -- I saw NASHVILLE with her in theaters!)

The answer to that charge is clear: the movie portrays the struggling classes as cretinous and the rich as vaguely suffering from mental challenges. In other words, it's phony.

A stranger on Twitter said the movie has the best editing, cinematography, and screenplay of the year! Oscar-speak. sigh. I responded that the editing failed to raise suspense (e.g., the coffee table sequence) or clarity (e.g., who killed whom at the end, and why?). The cinematography, I believe translates as "I want that house!" The screenplay? I think it's "OMG, there's a guy in the basement!"

Hateful film. And no fun. And I'm easy.
I didn't think it was phony. I thought it was a dark comedy on a, "what if this happened". I will say when the "protagonists" kept getting everything they wanted, I thought, "Oh crap, I'm going to hate this downfall." I didn't. What I loved about it was the fact that the down-slide wasn't typical. I thought the author had quite the sense of humor.

I tend not to politicize things, so I don't have a point of view of: This is too liberal or conservative. Or, it mocks a certain group/class.

As far as phony, I work for a lot of rich people and some of them act exactly like that. Especially, with their children.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 02-26-2020 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Jacket Display Stevie Nicks, Buckingham & McVie ‚Äď ...
$2340.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Jacket Display Stevie Nicks, Buckingham & McVie ‚Äď ... pictureSIGNED Mick Fleetwood Mac Love that burns Deluxe Genesis Publications Book
$1229.68
SIGNED Mick Fleetwood Mac Love that burns Deluxe Genesis Publications Book pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks
$1033.85
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks pictureMick Fleetwood Signed Fleetwood Mac Vinyl Beckett Authentication Services BAS
$807.74
Mick Fleetwood Signed Fleetwood Mac Vinyl Beckett Authentication Services BAS pictureHand Signed Fleetwood Mac English Rose Album Cover
$677.42
Hand Signed Fleetwood Mac English Rose Album Cover picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved