User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Unless Lindsey and Christine would do a BuckVie II, I'd practically bet my life that there will never be another FM record.

Buck Vie is my favorite album since Mirage, so at least they went out on a high note.

And goat free!
Same here. Stevie is too lazy now to do a new album, no matter how much she hates Lindsey and how much she wants to prove him she's the boss. She only wants to dance around her house and be happy.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can see her handing the band some old demos and giving Mike Campbell some old poems for him to put to music. Then, she could come in to the studio for a few afternoons to lay down vocal tracks. If it didn't require much effort on her part, and everyone was very careful not to make her feel uncomfortable or challenged in any way, it could still happen.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
I'm a goathead - I wish Stevie was on that album so it would have been more widely heard. I like it but it has already fallen out of my regular rotation.

Believe it or not, I wish that Stevie had been on it too, ONLY because it might have actually got some radio play with her. It's such a fun album.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Believe it or not, I wish that Stevie had been on it too, ONLY because it might have actually got some radio play with her. It's such a fun album.
IA. It reminds me a lot of Mirage for some reason, I don't know why exactly, just the sound of it is mostly fun and lighthearted and twinkly in that way Mirage was. At first I was convinced the album wasn't going to be that good because I didn't really like the three singles they released for promotion, especially the Lindsey songs, and I thought he might overproduce it like some of the songs on SYW but I was really pleasantly surprised by it. I loved all of the other songs, they were all just sunny and sparkly and nice to listen to.

I bet Stevie was totally convinced that he would go overboard on the production and that she wouldn't end up liking the album which I think is a big part of why she didn't want to do it. But I bet after she listened to it she thought it was actually quite good and she probably would have liked to have been on it had she known that's how it would've come out. And I think that only added to her being upset/jealous about the album.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
IA. It reminds me a lot of Mirage for some reason, I don't know why exactly, just the sound of it is mostly fun and lighthearted and twinkly in that way Mirage was. At first I was convinced the album wasn't going to be that good because I didn't really like the three singles they released for promotion, especially the Lindsey songs, and I thought he might overproduce it like some of the songs on SYW but I was really pleasantly surprised by it. I loved all of the other songs, they were all just sunny and sparkly and nice to listen to.

I bet Stevie was totally convinced that he would go overboard on the production and that she wouldn't end up liking the album which I think is a big part of why she didn't want to do it. But I bet after she listened to it she thought it was actually quite good and she probably would have liked to have been on it had she known that's how it would've come out. And I think that only added to her being upset/jealous about the album.
To me, it really is Mirage, part II. Both were simple, fun, catchy albums.

If it's the last fm record, so be it. Beats the hell out of SYW!
Old 05-14-2018, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To me, it really is Mirage, part II. Both were simple, fun, catchy albums.

If it's the last fm record, so be it. Beats the hell out of SYW!
oh yes x 1000.
This really seems like a death, and death is never pretty. You may want to dress it up and have it flow like you want, but you're still gonna lose what you love. Such is life.

I'm getting beat over the head with commercials for their shows on tv and the radio. I get nausea every time I hear them. Had it been the fab 5, I would be smiling every time I heard those....

Lindsey wanted a new studio album. She did not. impasse. goodbye Lindsey.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

I don't know about anyone else, but my definition of a "cover band" is, generally speaking, any time a different lead singer is performing a well-known song. So if the new Mac sings Don't Dream It's Over, with Neil Finn singing, they're not a cover band; if they perform some Tom Petty songs with Finn (or anyone else) singing, then they're a cover band. Or when they sing Lindsey's songs = cover band. When they perform Stevie and Chris's songs? Not a cover band. Things get complicated on tunes like The Chain or Don't Stop, though!

So, I'd love to see NuMac perform a few Finn tunes, like I Got You or Message to My Girl. Seems pretty unlikely, though.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but my definition of a "cover band" is, generally speaking, any time a different lead singer is performing a well-known song.
The only time I would refer to something as a cover band is if there isn’t anyone in the band connected to the original song. Like on GYOW. Mick, John, Christine, and Stevie are still there, and they were all on the original. Even when Stevie did “Don’t Stop” with her solo band, I wouldn’t consider that a cover, since she was on the original.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but my definition of a "cover band" is, generally speaking, any time a different lead singer is performing a well-known song. So if the new Mac sings Don't Dream It's Over, with Neil Finn singing, they're not a cover band; if they perform some Tom Petty songs with Finn (or anyone else) singing, then they're a cover band. Or when they sing Lindsey's songs = cover band. When they perform Stevie and Chris's songs? Not a cover band. Things get complicated on tunes like The Chain or Don't Stop, though!

so if you look on setlist.fm for example for the eagles, if they do a solo Walsh or Henley song, that's listed as a cover. even though it's the same singer. if stevie nicks does a solo concert and sings Rhiannon, that's listed as FM cover. if FM does Stand Back, it's listed as Stevie Nicks cover.

so if they sing any Petty, Crowded House, Neil Finn, Dirty Knobs, or Stevie and Christine solo songs, those will all be covers.

since they still call themselves FM, any era FM songs would not be listed as covers on setlist.fm.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The only time I would refer to something as a cover band is if there isn’t anyone in the band connected to the original song. Like on GYOW. Mick, John, Christine, and Stevie are still there, and they were all on the original. Even when Stevie did “Don’t Stop” with her solo band, I wouldn’t consider that a cover, since she was on the original.
see below. that's a cover. Stevie doing Landslide with her solo band, also cover.

any band under the name FM, even with 0 original members, performing GYOW is not a cover.

LB solo performing GYOW is FM cover.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-17-2018, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Which thread???

Just saw Mike Campbell play a bit of "World Turning" and
"Rhiannon" on YouTube. The channel is Normans Rare Guitars.

Titled Mike Campbell & Jason Sinay - 1950 Supro & 1965 Gibson.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
see below. that's a cover. Stevie doing Landslide with her solo band, also cover.

any band under the name FM, even with 0 original members, performing GYOW is not a cover.

LB solo performing GYOW is FM cover.
Yeah, I’m sticking with my definition. It’s much simpler.

Think about it. What about songs like GLYUTB, Crystal, Stand Back, and DLMDA which were redone by the band in some form and released on official FM albums? Do they cross over into also being Fleetwood Mac songs? So, when Billy did DLMDA in 1987, was it a BN cover, or just him singing a FM song?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I can see her handing the band some old demos and giving Mike Campbell some old poems for him to put to music. Then, she could come in to the studio for a few afternoons to lay down vocal tracks. If it didn't require much effort on her part, and everyone was very careful not to make her feel uncomfortable or challenged in any way, it could still happen.
Yeah, good point, Nancy. Stevie could enjoy cutting the album because the atmosphere would be very supportive of Stevie in every facet. But doesn't she still feel that a new album would get passed around for free online and wouldn't make any dent in the charts? I think that commerciality angle would keep Stevie averse to doing a new album--at least that's what she's hinted at in the recent past.

moviekinks.blogspot.com