User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
And I firmly believe that's why he was excluded. Mick's never been good with money anyway, and someone trying to take some of it(rightfully or not), cost Bob his induction.
(ONLY my opinion)

Does anyone know if Bob ever got a settlement over the suit?
They settled out of court in 1996, I think it was.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Ledgie

So sad to hear about Bob. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Time cast a spell on you, but you won't forget me.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
John, mine said the same thing!!! So I entered my secondary email address, and it accepted that one.
Oh OK I'll try that then, but it just feels kinds creepy, hope no one hacked my account.

John
Old 06-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish Bob had been included. But the Hall Of Fame
is a joke. To the point of it being meaningless. I can
only guess that his feeling of being cheated was a
stronger emotion that actually making it into the HOF.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob's omission was so conspicuous, especially in light of Danny's and Jeremy's inclusions, it's hard not to imagine he was excluded by request of the band--ie: Fleetwood and the McVies, who most likely did not want to share a stage with him.

There may have also been an argument going around that if they included Welch they'd have to include Vito, Burnette, Weston, and even Walker, Mason, and Bramlett--hell even Brunning. But that argument isn't fair to Welch as his contribution to the band was long-standing and substantial in a way even Vito's and Burnette's--the most substantial members of this additional list--were not.

Incidentally, the fact that both parties settled out of court suggests that Welch was at least partially in the right to ask for back money, royalties, etc...
Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
But that argument isn't fair to Welch as his contribution to the band was long-standing and substantial in a way even Vito's and Burnette's--the most substantial members of this additional list--were not.
Billy was in the band for eight years, and BTM was the highest charting, biggest selling record that didn't involve Buckingham.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

Incidentally, the fact that both parties settled out of court suggests that Welch was at least partially in the right to ask for back money, royalties, etc...
I get what you're saying, but for myself I would not conclude this at all. I'd have to know the amount and terms of the settlement before thinking that. If it's going to cost you $500,000 to go to trial and win and you can settle for $100,000, then you'll probably do it, no matter how right you think you are.

And sometimes even if a party wants to fight for principle's sake, the insurance company presses a settlement anyway. Or let's say if you sued John Smith who is on contract with Warner Bros. and both parties are named in the lawsuit, then WB might have to indemnify and pay John Smith's part of any judgment or settlement (or vice versa). If WB is the one who is going to be left paying most of the settlement, it might insist on settling even against John Smith's wishes, because it can just write the settlement off as a business expense. WB wouldn't care that Smith wanted to pursue the case and prevail as a matter of personal conviction.

If it costs less to settle, sometimes (indeed, maybe most of the time) people will do that. It's often not a matter of right or wrong. Michele

Michele
Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm pretty sure this is Mick's idea of who is the REAL Fleetwood Mac (i.e. where the money is):

Old 06-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, to those of you who are Facebook friends with Bob Welch, you should read his wall. Wendy is sharing and grieving. One guy answered her, concerning FM...

I don't feel comfortable quoting him verbatim, but one guy posted 'I've had dealings with Mick Fleetwood before, and he's a GREEDY PIG'.

I rather enjoyed reading that!

EDIT - I should add, that she just posted that "It wasn't Mick, who kept Bob out of the HOF, but another small minded person in the band"

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 06-13-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Old 06-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Who could it possibly have been?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Can I put $150 on Christine McVie at odds of 5/1 ? thanks!

lol ,but really I hope that can of worms isn't being opened especially this soon ,it's been so long since HOF now,I never thought of that stuff being important,or awards or any of it.

the ''clue'' Wendy hinted was the person claimed to have kept in touch but hadn't is what throws me off my guess though -so fingers seem to point to ****?! Bizarre ,I don't know what went on

Last edited by Bryan; 06-23-2012 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: added lemony chiffon colored gossipy scandal
Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
lol ,but really I hope that can of worms isn't being opened especially this soon ,it's been so long since HOF now,I never thought of that stuff being important,or awards or any of it.

the ''clue'' Wendy hinted was the person claimed to have kept in touch but hadn't is what throws me off my guess though -so fingers seem to point to Rick?! Bizarre ,I don't know what went on
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Now that Wendy has said that it's NOT Mick, I don't see John as caring that much. And it wouldn't make much sense for Lindsey or Stevie to really care....

ALTHOUGH, Lindsey is quite the prima donna, so I wouldn't necessarily rule him out...

It's definitely either Chris or Lindsey, IMO.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
^Who could it possibly have been?
Well, it's a mystery, isn't it? But I am fascinated by this article published in the Plain Dealer:

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...d=216&Itemid=9

Quote:
One committee member, who asked that his name not be used, said he did recall Welch's name coming up "late in the process" at a meeting not attended by all members of the nominating committee.

"It was a judgment call," he said. "Fleetwood Mac was inducted for its original incarnation as an English blues-rock band and for the version that came together in the mid-1970s that became so famously successful with the release of the album 'Rumours.'

"An argument was made that the band that Bob Welch was part of was not of hall of fame caliber."
Ouch! To be fair, at least the Rock Hall was consistent in that assessment; Bob Weston and Dave Walker were not inducted either. And presumably they also deemed the post-Rumours lineups to be non-RRHOF caliber either, i.e., Bramlett, Mason, Burnette, Vito. And the Rock Hall seems to be fairly consistent in applying this criteria to other bands whose lineups have changed over time. For example, The Who was inducted with Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle and Keith Moon; Kenney Jones was not inducted, even though he was an actual member of the band for four years after Keith Moon's death (i.e., after their classic recording years). Lynyrd Skynyrd was inducted in 2006 without Jonny Van Zant, despite the fact that he was their lead singer since 1987 (i.e., after their classic recording years). To be honest, I think it's hard to consider anything in FM's catalogue prior to 1975's White Album as a "classic" album outside of FM fandom; the vast majority of the American rock music listener population probably doesn't even know that FM existed prior to that album. But then again, one can make the argument that FM's immense influence and popularity as a white blues band in Britain in the late 1960s cannot be discounted, so the first couple of incarnations of FM should be recognized. By contrast, that middle period of FM kind of fell off of everyone's radar on both sides of the Atlantic. Yes, we in the FM fan world love those albums dearly... but they were neither novel nor popular commercially or critically. They were just... kinda there. In that context, I can kinda see how the RRHOF overlooked this era completely. Looking at it another way, if FM was a band that debuted in 1971 and disbanded in 1975 after releasing five albums, never to be heard from again, would they be inducted into the RRHOF? I suspect the answer would be "no."

In the end, it could have been the RRHOF committee. It could have been an FM member. Or both. We will probably never know for certain.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
To be fair, at least the Rock Hall was consistent in that assessment; Bob Weston and Dave Walker were not inducted either. And presumably they also deemed the post-Rumours lineups to be non-RRHOF caliber either, i.e., Bramlett, Mason, Burnette, Vito.......

that middle period of FM kind of fell off of everyone's radar on both sides of the Atlantic. Yes, we in the FM fan world love those albums dearly... but they were neither novel nor popular commercially or critically. They were just... kinda there. In that context, I can kinda see how the RRHOF overlooked this era completely.
I get what you're saying, but it still strikes me as odd. I could see them deciding that most people know Fleetwood Mac as the Rumours 5, with its massive commercial success, and inducting just those individuals. I could also see them recognizing a legendary band's entire body of work and inducting all of its members since day one. But to chop up the history....."these years were good for this and those years were good for that and we can't make that middle part seem special".....that just seems off to me, especially with a core group of members who provided consistency throughout all of those eras.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

the ''clue'' Wendy hinted was the person claimed to have kept in touch but hadn't is what throws me off my guess though -so fingers seem to point to Rick?! Bizarre ,I don't know what went on
It wouldn't have been Rick. He wasn't inducted. Wendy seemed to shoot down the suggestion it was John McVie.