The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 PM

Default When I See You Again...... Will It Be The Same?

I wanted to pay a little tribute to this tortured song. (because I've been listening to the re-master deluxe version that was just released...)

Next time you listen to WISYA, hear the "Fleetwood Mac" in it.
Listen to the guitar and keyboards, then combine the backing vocals by Buckingham/McVie. Notice how much contrast they have with this scorned and wounded woman. The sound off angels, as Stevie tries to figure out why she can't make it with the one who owns her heart. andddd (Who just happens to be singing 'beautifully' with a tall blonde british woman.)

Try to listen to it in this manner. Why? because Stevie Nicks nails what this song is about. You may not like her tone or timbre, but it accurately depicts the setting.

When you understand it that way, you can then appreciate the delicate voices, keyboards, and guitar that give way to a chamber of living angst.

............. well at least there is a dream left....

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-06-2017 at 09:39 PM..
Old 04-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

SERIOUSLY!!!!

The 'whassamattababy' thing is awful and some of those lyrics are really WTF (she stairs at the stares there are so many things to stare at these days?????)

BUT

I can't dislike this song. There's just something haunting about it. The arrangement and music on it are GORGEOUS. And when Lindsey comes in at the end is beautiful.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I wanted to pay a little tribute to this tortured song. (because I've been listening to the re-master deluxe version that was just released...)

Listen to the guitar and keyboards, then combine the backing vocals by Buckingham/McVie. Notice how much contrast they have with this scorned and wounded woman. The sound off angels, as Stevie tries to figure out why she can't make it with the one who owns her heart. andddd (Who just happens to be singing 'beautifully' with a tall blonde british woman.)

Try to listen to it in this manner. Why? because Stevie Nicks nails what this song is about. You may not like her tone or timbre, but it accurately depicts the setting.

When you understand it that way, you can then appreciate the delicate voices, keyboards, and guitar that give way to a chamber of living angst.

....so with you on this. I love the three voices on this track. With all the stuff that was going on during this time its amazing what input came out of these recordings. It's like 1987 all over again listening to this set and I'm happy to be back In the 80's
Old 04-06-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
SERIOUSLY!!!!

The 'whassamattababy' thing is awful and some of those lyrics are really WTF (she stairs at the stares there are so many things to stare at these days?????)

BUT

I can't dislike this song. There's just something haunting about it. The arrangement and music on it are GORGEOUS. And when Lindsey comes in at the end is beautiful.
It's genius... whether they knew it or not, it came out as a strong message.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked every track on this album when it was new, and to this day.
I even loved "Family Man," which my friend called "The Popeye song" cause of the "Am what I am" part. LOL.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's genius... whether they knew it or not, it came out as a strong message.
I think Stevie said she had to trick Lindsey to do it or something like that. That he was shy about his voice to sing like that so she told him they'd record it as a duet, then she took her part off so it would sound like a conversation.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But how could Stevie trick him into it and take off vocals if he was producing?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
But how could Stevie trick him into it and take off vocals if he was producing?
Yeah I don't know I wondered that too. Maybe she had an engineer do it and not tell him?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

True, but wouldn't Lindsey hear the final product before it got released?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes I will try....um NO it's terrible. The music is fine but her lyrics are voice are SCARILY BAD!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
I liked every track on this album when it was new, and to this day.
I even loved "Family Man," which my friend called "The Popeye song" cause of the "Am what I am" part. LOL.
I also love every song in TITN. Some more than others but the love is there for the whole album.
And yes, I also even love Family Man. Just because of the message, of what Lindsey wanted to become, and he succeeded.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Yes I will try....um NO it's terrible. The music is fine but her lyrics are voice are SCARILY BAD!
Hahahahahahah...
Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Hauntingly scary. Aweful. To the max.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I maintain that Stevie, as addled and desperate as she was at the time, brought heart to the Tango album, which without her blood and guts, would have been overly synthesised and slick. The stripped back "When I See You Again", flaws and all, helps to balance proceedings - it is in its own way, an unwitting masterstroke, exposing Stevie as devastated and devoid of hope.
I remember her mentioning the trick she played on Lindsey regarding the coda but I have recently been wondering if indeed she had even recorded a vocal for this section? Given the situation, Lindsey may have undertaken the vocal out of necessity. I have heard a poor quality outtake that features Stevie during the fade but it appears to be fan-made with just the opening line of "when I see you again" looped (ie not a harmony vocal).
Old 04-07-2017, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I really tried but
I'm still staring at the stairs
(sigh)
There are many things to stare at these days