Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Hello all---

When the split with Lindsey was announced, I couldn’t believe it. How could they do it? How could they destroy the chemistry of the band? I like Lindsey’s music and Christine’s music and, to a lesser degree, Stevie’s music (I think “Thrown Down” is one of the best songs on SAY YOU WILL, and I love the title track, too). But the point is that they all sound better when they’re together. I own all of Lindsey’s solo records, but I would pick him with FM over his solo work any day of the week, because those five people just work better together.

And if they couldn’t swallow their pride and just get along for 18 more months to do one last tour, then they should have called it quits.

Okay, now that I got that off my chest, I can say this---it’s done. Regardless of what I think or what any of us feel, they kicked Lindsey out, and they added Campbell and Finn. This is Fleetwood Mac now, and the reality is that most people at the shows probably have no idea the change was made.

I love Fleetwood Mac, and I love Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They’re both among my all-time top 10 favorite acts. Crowded House is my favorite band ever. I’m saying all this to simply note that I’m pulling for this experiment to work.

I saw the clips from the Ellen show. Mick and John sounded great. Campbell was actually pretty good. It was hard to tell with Christine, and Neil sounded like he was stretching for the high notes a bit, but was otherwise okay. But Stevie sounded horrible.

Then I heard some clips from the festival show they did. The music sounded surprisingly good. But the vocals weren't great. And it hurt my heart to hear "Second Hand News." It hurt because, honestly, it didn't sound bad, and I thought it fit Neil pretty well.

But today, a friend of mine sent me a link to "Free Fallin'" from the Tulsa show and compared it with sharing crime scene photos. He's not exactly wrong about that.

I have withheld my views on this line-up change debacle, because I wanted to stay positive. I wanted to believe that these exceptionally-talented people would be re-energized by the change and find a way to make it work in amazing and surprising ways.

But this is just sad. Truly sad. Sad for a legendary band that is now tarnishing its legacy. Sad for Campbell and Finn, who are mighty artists themselves and will now be associated with FM’s fall. (For the record, I don’t blame Campbell or Finn at all. They’re just the guys who said “yes” to what probably sounded like a rare opportunity.)

And on a related note…

I’ve always been a FM purist. I never liked it when they did Stevie or Lindsey solo songs. Why would they do that when the band has such a deep and great catalog of songs? If you want to hear the solo stuff, go to the solo show. The band shows should be reserved for band songs.

If you’re doing Crowded House songs or Tom Petty songs, then you’re no longer Fleetwood Mac. You’re the Fleetwood Mac All-Star Revue. Change the name, Mick. It fits.

Okay, having said all that, I get it. They’re doing a little tribute to Tom. There’s a slideshow.

But she can't even get the words right. What kind of tribute is it when you get the words wrong? A sad one, really. It offends me as a Tom Petty fan, and it offends me as a Fleetwood Mac fan. And I’m sure she couldn’t care less, because they continue to make money off the band’s reputation.

I can't end on a negative note, so I will just close by saying that my final hope for this band is that they gain some level of comfort in a month or so, and that will lead to better chemistry. It could happen.

matt
Someone said the Free Fallin words were bungled because Stevie's teleprompter broke. Also, I'd be inclined to give her a little grace for opening night jitters and the emotion of singing that song for her close friend with it being one night after the anniversary of his death. Have you seen any of the other videos yet? Perhaps there is something else that you might like better.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Someone said the Free Fallin words were bungled because Stevie's teleprompter broke. Also, I'd be inclined to give her a little grace for opening night jitters and the emotion of singing that song for her close friend with it being one night after the anniversary of his death. Have you seen any of the other videos yet? Perhaps there is something else that you might like better.
You can bet there will be no more glitches during Free Fallin'. Wanna know why? Everybody is recording it and she knows it. Watch and see.
Now who wants to pitch in and buy Matt Lucas et al a box of Kleenex? I'm feeling magnanimous.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
You can bet there will be no more glitches during Free Fallin'. Wanna know why? Everybody is recording it and she knows it. Watch and see.
Now who wants to pitch in and buy Matt Lucas et al a box of Kleenex? I'm feeling magnanimous.
Ummm...I'm fine, really. Just sad.

And I'm also not ashamed to admit when I'm wrong or when I jump to conclusions. I don't know that his changes much of anything for me, but...

I just saw the clip of "Storms" in another thread here at The Ledge, and I have to say...WOW.

It sounds fantastic. Great performance by Stevie, great backing vocals. So maybe there IS hope...

matt

Last edited by Matt Lucas; 10-04-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Old 10-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ummm...I'm fine, really. Just sad.

And I'm also not ashamed to admit when I'm wrong or when I just to conclusions. I don't know that his changes much of anything for me, but...

I just saw the clip of "Storms" in another thread here at The Ledge, and I have to say...WOW.

It sounds fantastic. Great performance by Stevie, great backing vocals. So maybe there IS hope...

matt
I'm glad you found something that you liked better.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

matt
Of course there is hope It's really not so dreadful

It's a varied, interesting show as far as I can tell with 6 wonderful musicians - the audience appeared to love it, and the reviews are good.

This forum tends to be very nit picky with ridiculously high expectations.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't help but think of Tom telling Stevie that, contrary to her belief, she was NOT in a "rock and roll band". He reported she was mightily miffed at this, but he didn't see FM as having the rock and roll bona fides that the Heartbreakers had. Watching the video of Mike playing along with Christine's performance of Isn't It Midnight I just had to wonder what Tom would think.... it isn't really rock and roll.

Having said that, on a personal level I'm guessing the tour will be good for Mike, to get him beyond his sadness re Tom, and frankly I think will help him move out of Tom's shadow. I don't mean that in a bad way; Tom was the leader and Mike was fine with that. But now that the bandleader is gone, the band members have to find a new path forward, and this will be good for Mike to have even more of a profile on his own, as a player and as a singer on his own, even if it's just Oh Well for this tour.

I am curious to see how it plays out with his relationship with Stevie, as she is the new leader in FM. She's already overridden him on doing Free Falling. Her style on the road is a bit different to what the HB's style was. In the old days they may have partied together; wonder who he hangs with on tour with FM, if anyone. Maybe just his wife and family...?
Old 10-06-2018, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

To the title of this thread, who gives AF if Mike likes flying on a G4? Does anyone not like flying private?
I know, lets have all of them fly commercial because that would be so economical and convenient. One half of the band would wind up in North Dakota due to weather or some sh!t while the gear is in Wyoming and the other half of the band is in an airport because their flight has been delayed.
I bet Lindsey rides a bicycle to his gigs with one of those carrier things on the back for his gear because you know he's Jesus and all.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
To the title of this thread, who gives AF if Mike likes flying on a G4? Does anyone not like flying private?
I know, lets have all of them fly commercial because that would be so economical and convenient. One half of the band would wind up in North Dakota due to weather or some sh!t while the gear is in Wyoming and the other half of the band is in an airport because their flight has been delayed.
I bet Lindsey rides a bicycle to his gigs with one of those carrier things on the back for his gear because you know he's Jesus and all.
LoL I love this.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
Surprised it turned out to be this one. I was expecting Refugee.
and ppl will be cryin' over how bad it is
please don't ruin a great song.
$tevie probably only knows Free Fallin' is a TP song and Insider ...
American Girl ... wuht