Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Any ideas why?
Yes. She said she didn't see how he fit in with the band, but also remember that they go way, way back. Long before Chicken Shack, Fleetwood Mac, or Traffic. They go way back to when she was Spencer Davis's girlfriend and he was the roadie for the Spencer Davis Group. There's a lot of history there. I've heard a lot of rumors, having run a Dave Mason website in the past, several suggesting that Dave was still a cocaine user, and Christine found that objectionable by that point. I've never even tried to verify that, though.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
Really!? I thought it was kind of a sleepy set myself, at least when I saw them. It sounded like a tire whose air was slowly leaking out. Fleetwood Mac was the headliner, but was far outshone by Pat Benatar and REO Speedwagon. I'm not kidding.
At the show I saw, Fleetwood Mac played between Pat and REO. Did they rotate spots?
Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
At the show I saw, Fleetwood Mac played between Pat and REO. Did they rotate spots?
They were the middle band when I saw them on that tour, too. I wouldn't say they were outplayed when I saw them.

Actually, I saw them open for CSN a year before, and people in my section thought Fleetwood Mac stole the show.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yes. She said she didn't see how he fit in with the band, but also remember that they go way, way back. Long before Chicken Shack, Fleetwood Mac, or Traffic. They go way back to when she was Spencer Davis's girlfriend and he was the roadie for the Spencer Davis Group. There's a lot of history there.
Very interesting! I didn't know any of that.

Quote:
I've heard a lot of rumors, having run a Dave Mason website in the past, several suggesting that Dave was still a cocaine user, and Christine found that objectionable by that point. I've never even tried to verify that, though.
I can certainly see how that would be a point of contention...
Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Really!? I thought it was kind of a sleepy set myself, at least when I saw them. It sounded like a tire whose air was slowly leaking out. Fleetwood Mac was the headliner, but was far outshone by Pat Benatar and REO Speedwagon. I'm not kidding.
I think your memory may be off. I too, saw them with REO as the headliner....

And I can still hear all the people around me, bitching because Stevie wasn't in the band. People suck, and don't understand reinvention.

And that night, I became a Bekka fan for life! Probably the best singer FM ever had!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Entirely possible. When FM took the stage at the show I saw, with their moody, sleepy set, it was very anti-climactic. Pat Benatar, whom I'd never seen, was actually quite good on stage. REO, despite the glossy pop stuff played on the radio, is actually a tremendous live band.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think your memory may be off. I too, saw them with REO as the headliner....
Hmm. Now you have me rethinking it. Maybe I am misremembering it. In any case, FM was a letdown to me.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post

Any ideas why?

I remember hearing/reading that they didn't get along, but I always assumed it had something to do with creative differences that surfaced while in the studio. This comment suggests there was already bad blood...
Quote:
Why was she so vehemently against him? I thought he was an odd fit myself, but I wasn't aware of her opposition.
One of Christine's best friends is Steve Winwood....they go WAY back. At the time of TIME, there was still some major bad blood between Steve and Dave (don't know if it ever got cleared up)....she was just taking Steve's side. Plus, she didn't think he added anything to the band, that Mick had only asked him to join the group out of sympathy (I guess he was in a pretty bad way at the time....homeless, no record deal, maybe still using, etc.).
Old 02-17-2014, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
One of Christine's best friends is Steve Winwood....they go WAY back.
One of Christine's best friends is Mick Fleetwood. They go way back, too. (The point being that I'm sure whatever issues she's had with Dave are her's alone.)

Quote:
At the time of TIME, there was still some major bad blood between Steve and Dave (don't know if it ever got cleared up)....she was just taking Steve's side.
Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi reformed Traffic and didn't include Dave Mason. One would think that she'd take Dave's side on that, because it would mean that he wouldn't have the time to be in Fleetwood Mac.

Quote:
Plus, she didn't think he added anything to the band, that Mick had only asked him to join the group out of sympathy (I guess he was in a pretty bad way at the time....homeless, no record deal, maybe still using, etc.).
He was "homeless" in that he doesn't have his own place, but he's on the road so much, he doesn't see the point. The reason he was staying with Mick at the time was because Jim Kruger, his guitarist and musical partner since 1974 (and writer of "We Just Disagree") died. Dave was trying to figure out his next step.

At the same time, Fleetwood Mac was listening to audition tapes, none of which were inspiring Mick. Mick's first choice was Jerry Lynn Williams, but he said no. Per the story Mick and Dave have said, Mick jokingly made the comment, "if I can't find somebody soon, I'm just going put you in the band" and Dave said "I'd love to be in the band."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
One of Christine's best friends is Mick Fleetwood. They go way back, too. (The point being that I'm sure whatever issues she's had with Dave are her's alone.)

Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi reformed Traffic and didn't include Dave Mason. One would think that she'd take Dave's side on that, because it would mean that he wouldn't have the time to be in Fleetwood Mac.
He was "homeless" in that he doesn't have his own place, but he's on the road so much, he doesn't see the point. The reason he was staying with Mick at the time was because Jim Kruger, his guitarist and musical partner since 1974 (and writer of "We Just Disagree") died. Dave was trying to figure out his next step.

At the same time, Fleetwood Mac was listening to audition tapes, none of which were inspiring Mick. Mick's first choice was Jerry Lynn Williams, but he said no. Per the story Mick and Dave have said, Mick jokingly made the comment, "if I can't find somebody soon, I'm just going put you in the band" and Dave said "I'd love to be in the band."
There's probably a reason why they didn't include Dave....knowing that reason, Christine probably thought "Why have him if they don't want him?"
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One of Christine's best friends is Steve Winwood....they go WAY back. At the time of TIME, there was still some major bad blood between Steve and Dave (don't know if it ever got cleared up)....she was just taking Steve's side. Plus, she didn't think he added anything to the band, that Mick had only asked him to join the group out of sympathy (I guess he was in a pretty bad way at the time....homeless, no record deal, maybe still using, etc.).
Makes me think of Christine's comments about her early years. Cameron Crowe got her to remember the pre-FM days and it's a shame that more interviews didn't focus on that, because she had a lot of history -- even before Chicken Shack -- and we don't get to hear those stories.

Quote:
By the time she made friends with the group, Christine Perfect was already a journeywoman blues-circuit rocker herself. As a “real tubby” teenager – she weighed 160 pounds at 16 – Christine and a girlfriend/singing partner snuck away from their strict parents in Birmingham and visited every talent agency they could find in London. Their act consisted of strumming guitars and warbling Everly Brothers hits. Their career, which was highlighted by a obe-song pub appearance backed by the Shadows, was cut short when their parents found them out. Christine was sent to art college in Birmingham where she joined a folk club. “We’d meet every Tuesday night, above a pub somewhere, and drink cheap beer. Whoever could, would play a folk song or violin, whatever they could do. Anyway, one night in strolls this devastatingly handsome man, who was from Birmingham University. It was Spencer Davis. I just fell in love with Spence. I swore I would get thin and go out with him.

“And I did.”

Christine and Spencer began singing together, fronting the university’s jazz band, but, she says, their relationship proved more musical than illicit. “Stevie Winwood was about 14, still in school and playing at a jazz club called the ChappelPub at lunchtime,” Christine says. “He met Spencer Davis Group.”

“I used to trail around religiously. Boy, they were so hot. Nothing was like that. Stevie Winwood played like I’d never heard anybody play before. It just gave me goose bumps. They were just a blues band, but a really, really great blues band. He [Winwood] could yell the blues. A 15-year-old boy. No one could believe it. The 19-20-year-old girls would have the hots for him.”
Old 02-18-2014, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There's probably a reason why they didn't include Dave....knowing that reason, Christine probably thought "Why have him if they don't want him?"
Again, I doubt Steve Winwood had any influence on Christine's feelings about Dave Mason.

Traffic maintain the Dave Mason quit the band, and was never really a major part of the band. Winwood considered him to be an auxiliary musician in the band, never really a full member of the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Winwood stated once that Mason was only an invited guest in Traffic. I always thought he was an odd choice for FM. I never really liked his songs on Time but he is a good guitar player.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
The fact remains......Christine didn't want anything to do with Dave.....she didn't want him in the band, she didn't want him on her tracks, and she didn't want to be on stage with him...period.
I'm very curious as to where this info derives. I've never seen such a statement about Christine and Dave and what caused the apparent friction.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The OCD in me wants to know why this isn't in the Post-Rumours forum.