Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Question Coach House - San Juan Capistrano questions

Is there ANYBODY here who went to these shows??

I'm a bit baffled by a few things and need you guys to weigh in.

So I know on Throwndown.net there are two things available. One is from Dec. 13. 1992 and one is a hybrid of both nights: Dec 12-13.

First of all, are these dates correct? I have scoured the web and found dates that even claim that the shows were on Dec 10-11, or Dec 11-12, or Dec 12-13. WHICH is right?

Next, I got a 2-disc set with seemingly professionally printed discs, and some nice artwork claiming to be the complete set of BOTH shows. I got very excited about this....

...Until I just played only a few tracks on each disc and realized that it is only two different recordings/angles from the SAME night. There is NO "Wrong" or "Save Me A Place" on my set.

According to what I see on Throwndown, I am thinking I have the second night which is Dec 13. (if that date is even correct)

My Cd also says the first disc is Dec 11, and the second disc is Dec 13. So this is implying the shows were two nights apart, which I highly doubt. It also has incorrect titles for disc 1...probably to make it seem like these were in fact 2 different recordings, when they are totally the same night, just with two different people recording. I can't blame the seller, as I am sure he/she has NO idea about any of this and didn't make the disc, and they sell all kinds of music.

I would like to know if any of you were there firsthand and
1) exact dates
2) exact tracklist for each night

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi, AbbyJoy!!
I was not at those shows (I was a little kid) but, as I know, Lindsey played three times in San Juan Capistrano, on December 11th, 12th, and 13th. These are the dates that most sites says. Only a few say that shows were 10th, 11th and 12th.

Setlist of the Dec. 11th:
- Big Love
- Go Insane
- Don't Look Down
- The Chain
- Trouble
- Tusk
- You Do Or You Don't
- I'm So Afraid
- This Nearly Was Mine
- Street of Dreams
- Never Going Back Again
- All My Sorrows
- This is the Time
- Go Your Own Way
- Eyes of the World
- Soul Drifter

Setlist of the Dec. 12th / 13th (In some places this show is described as a "mix" between both nights, made by Westwood One. It's the only show of the whole tour where the band played Wrong):
- Big Love
- Go Insane
- Don't Look Down
- The Chain
- Trouble
- Tusk
- You Do Or You Don't
- I'm So Afraid
- Never Going Back Again
- All My Sorrows
- Wrong
- Band intros
- This is the Time
- Go Your Own Way
- Save Me A Place
- Eyes of the World
- Soul Drifter

It's all I know, hope it helps! Regards!
Mark.

Last edited by moon; 04-29-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok this is the first time that I have ever been informed that he played Wrong live....ever. I have several different versions of these shows too, but none have Wrong and I thought I have the Westwood One version. Who has a copy of this to post because I would LOVE to hear it! And I won't believe it till I hear it. Please no YouTube links.
Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Hi, AbbyJoy!!
I was not at those shows (I was a little kid) but, as I know, Lindsey played three times in San Juan Capistrano, on December 11th, 12th, and 13th. These are the dates that most sites says. Only a few say that shows were 10th, 11th and 12th.

Setlist of the Dec. 11th:
- Big Love
- Go Insane
- Don't Look Down
- The Chain
- Trouble
- Tusk
- You Do Or You Don't
- I'm So Afraid
- This Nearly Was Mine
- Street of Dreams
- Never Going Back Again
- All My Sorrows
- This is the Time
- Go Your Own Way
- Eyes of the World
- Soul Drifter

Setlist of the Dec. 12th / 13th (In some places this show is described as a "mix" between both nights, made by Westwood One. It's the only show of the whole tour where the band played Wrong):
- Big Love
- Go Insane
- Don't Look Down
- The Chain
- Trouble
- Tusk
- You Do Or You Don't
- I'm So Afraid
- Never Going Back Again
- All My Sorrows
- Wrong
- Band intros
- This is the Time
- Go Your Own Way
- Save Me A Place
- Eyes of the World
- Soul Drifter

It's all I know, hope it helps! Regards!
Mark.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

You can go to Throwndown.net and get the version that is the hybrid of both nights and this has "Wrong" and "Save Me a Place" like I said.

I also never heard that there were 3 nights?? Someone cofirnm there were 2 or 3? Any website I saw, said two nights, and it varied listing the dates I mentioned above.

Also, on Throwndown.net, the notes on that bootleg says it was TWO nights and thus the recording was a combo of both.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know how accurate this site is but it seems to have a lot of info. It only lists two shows on December 10 & 11.

http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/still...he Cradle Tour
Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I went to two shows, but I don't know the dates and I don't remember if there were 3 shows or not, but I think if there were I probably would have gone to 3. I can't remember consciously skipping a show. Wrong was played and so was SMAP.

Michele
Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Wow you are so lucky Michele! Do you remember what nights of the week it was, LOL? maybe that way I can look on old calendars online and get the real dates. If the website redtulip posted is true, then that means all the dates on Throwndown.net to download are incorrect! But the person who wrote those notes said he was there! So I tend to believe those dates are accurate (Dec 12-13?)
Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thursday? Maybe this will help us:

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-12-..._fleetwood-mac

POP MUSIC REVIEW : Whatever You Call It, It Was a Triumph : Former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham leaves enthusiastic Coach House fans wondering where he's been keeping himself.

December 12, 1992|MIKE BOEHM | TIMES STAFF WRITER

It's hard to pick the right descriptive noun for Lindsey Buckingham's concert Thursday night at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano.

A comeback? Besides a few cameos and TV appearances, Buckingham hadn't played in public since 1982, when he was a member of Fleetwood Mac.

Or a debut? Until he stepped on stage to open his two-night stand, Buckingham never had fronted a band of his own. (These shows were warm-ups for an upcoming TV concert taping and a planned tour early next year).

Comeback or debut, Buckingham's show was confident, energized, accomplished, wide-ranging and surprising. Heck, as long as we're slinging praises, why not go all the way? As comebacks and/or debuts go, this one was triumphant.

Instead of easing back into the fishbowl of live performance, Buckingham, a competitive swimmer in his youth, took the cold plunge, opening with a solo acoustic version of the latter-day Fleetwood Mac hit "Big Love."

Buckingham has a reputation for holing up hermit-like in his home recording studio for years at a time, and his lavishly assembled one-man-band solo albums indicate that he may never have met an over-dub he didn't like. But here he was, taking one of the grandest production numbers of his 19-year recording career and stripping it to naked elements.

It was as if he was saying up front that, though we may have forgotten it, he isn't just a studio jock, but someone who can make a song work using only the most basic means. He proved his point with a gutsy, shouting performance that strained and frayed his distinctive, reedy tenor.

When "Big Love" got a big cheer, Buckingham did a frisky little step, then gave a sheepish " 'tweren't nothing" grin. That opener pretty much established the tone for the 18 songs that followed in a too-short 85-minute set: Buckingham emphasized the dramatic, delivered it with intensity and skill (especially in his often remarkable finger-picked acoustic and electric guitar work), and exuded obvious pleasure in being back on stage.

Live, Buckingham was able to extricate songs from the heavily produced hothouse ambience of his latest album, "Out of the Cradle," and allow them to breath. He used an unorthodox lineup of young, unknown players--five guitarists (counting himself), three percussionists, a bassist and keyboard player--weaving light, nimble patterns instead of the usual blatant rock 'n' roll smash-and-thud. Always a great arranger, Buckingham used that large arsenal to produce clarity and nuance rather than clutter and brawn.

Buckingham's varied, well-sequenced program included six solo-acoustic numbers that showcased lustrous nylon-string guitar tones, chorale pieces featuring lush harmonies supported by as many as six backing voices, and rockers ranging from spirited neo-Buddy Holly ("Eyes of the World") to glowering Neil Young-like guitar dynamism ("I'm So Afraid").

While a seven-song sampling of Fleetwood Mac tunes included well-wrought versions of classic rock hits ("Go Your Own Way," "The Chain," "Tusk"), Buckingham didn't have to rely on nostalgia value to stir the audience. Fans saved their biggest ovations for moments of peak intensity, rather than peak familiarity.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey guys, have we seen Lindsey's "tweren't nothin'" grin before? To me, he usually looks like he thought it was something -- even if he takes his brilliance in stride.

Michele
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You know, since these were surprise appearances, it's possible that Lindsey did three shows and it's just documented inconsistently everywhere because it wasn't official.

I don't remember it. Whereas, I still have a clear recollection of BTM 1990, because I was supposed to be at the Cow Palace and then felt it wasn't worth the plane ride at the last minute and didn't go, only to hear from others that Lindsey appeared and I was so distraught. So, I got to see him in Los Angeles, but I never got over missing him up north.

If there were 3 San Juan Capistrano shows, I would think that I would have felt really bad about not getting to see one of them and written it somewhere, but I just can't remember anything like that. But definitely, it's odd that we have so many dates listed different places.

Michele
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Ahh this is so frustrating! I never cared before because I just trusted what was on the boots. What were those pics you posted that say they are deleted?

Anyway, that is fantastic that you got to go. So "jeal" as my friend would say!

Well, I'm thinking I have two versions of Dec. 13 in my set. They DO sound different, but I hear the same audience screams in certain parts. I say that because it matches the Dec. 13 on Throwndown (and it doesn't contain "Wrong" or "SMAP"). That leads me to believe that on the other boot that is there, those two songs would come from the night before, the 12th, but as for the rest, there is no way to tell which night it came from. I guess in the end, we should just be happy all songs are documented at all, even if its not 2 (or 3?) complete shows. UGH...LOL
Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They were snaps of a Billboard article.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

And I'm back to being lost

This article clears up the fact it was TWO nights, however it says the Westwood broadcast was from Dec. 10 & 11. The Westwood boot itself on Throwndown said Dec 12 & 13. UGHHH. LOL. Oh well....we'll never know.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiJoy78 View Post
And I'm back to being lost

This article clears up the fact it was TWO nights, however it says the Westwood broadcast was from Dec. 10 & 11. The Westwood boot itself on Throwndown said Dec 12 & 13. UGHHH. LOL. Oh well....we'll never know.
Abbi, what have you gotten into, now???

So, I checked my torrents, and now I'm as confused as you

I have two seperate torrents (from Throwndown). One with 15 songs, which claims to be from Soundboard, and one with 17 songs, which claims to be a mix from both nights, put together for Westwood One.

But from all this detective work, above, I would be inclined to think (though, really, I have no idea) that the newspaper has it right. It looks well-researched and all the various dates are clearly presented.