The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: pick favorites from Seeds (multiple choice, pick all songs you love)
Seeds We Sow (acoustic or electric, clarify in the text which one) 21 40.38%
In Our Own Time 30 57.69%
Illumination 26 50.00%
That's the Way Love Goes 28 53.85%
Stars Are Crazy 28 53.85%
When She Comes Down 9 17.31%
Rock Away Blind 35 67.31%
One Take 18 34.62%
Gone Too Far 16 30.77%
End of Time 23 44.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetofRhiannon View Post
May I ask why people like "Rock Away Blind" so much?

It's not my favorite... and I really don't know why so many people like it so much...

Sorry - not being critical, just wondering..
I can't really give you a reason other than it's a great song. The guitar is lovely and the melody is bittersweet. But, as with all things, that's highly subjective.

My one gripe (and it's a small one that applies to the whole album) is that I'd have tidied up the mix a little. The song itself is IMO one of the best of his career.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

You don't find it a little repetitive?

I guess the biggest reason why I don't listen to it very often is that I don't really enjoy the chorus.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm shocked at how poorly One Take has done. Not only is it my favorite song on the album. It's in my top 5 Lindsey songs ever, solo or Mac. The rest of my top 5 is:

1. One Take
2. Illumination
3. In Our Own Time
4. Rock Away Blind
5. The way love goes

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

haven't looked at this poll in a while... interesting how many songs are practically even in the lead! just tells you how many amazing songs are on this album!!

and none of them are being done on this Fleetwood Mac tour unfortunately

but we do have Sad Angel which is in a vein of some of the Seeds songs, although less punkish or weird i guess, so at least there's that!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Junior Ledgie

1. End of Time
  2. Seeds We Sow (Electric)
  3. One Take
  4. That's The Way Love Goes
  5. Rock Away Blind

They're all excellent songs, though. Just further evidence, along with Gift of Screws that Buckingham is doing some of his best work in the last few years.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Interesting poll results. "One Take" and "That's the Way Love Goes" are my two least faves on the CD.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHN View Post
  1. End of Time
  2. Seeds We Sow (Electric)
  3. One Take
  4. That's The Way Love Goes
  5. Rock Away Blind

They're all excellent songs, though. Just further evidence, along with Gift of Screws that Buckingham is doing some of his best work in the last few years.

and welcome, always nice to have another Lindsey fan on these boards!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

and welcome, always nice to have another Lindsey fan on these boards!
Thanks.

It's nice to have a place to discuss the band and their work.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll have to admit, as being a new Lindsey fan, "Rock Away Blind" took a while to grow on me. But after it did, I couldn't stop listening to it. As for the others, I'm surprised "Stars Are Crazy" isn't/wasn't getting more love since it's such a beautiful song. "When She Comes Down" is another of my favorites just because of the way it sounds, and the emotions he brings to it. "In Our Own Time" because of it's rockish feel and killer guitar. And "That's the Way that Love Goes" probably in the same vein as "Time."

But again, they are all excellent in their own way. It just look Lindsey's solo stuff to grow on me more than Mac stuff and proves he's a master songwriter and guitarist.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadAngel86 View Post
As for the others, I'm surprised "Stars Are Crazy" isn't/wasn't getting more love since it's such a beautiful song.
"Stars Are Crazy" is my fave song from SWS.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
I'll have to admit, as being a new Lindsey fan, "Rock Away Blind" took a while to grow on me. But after it did, I couldn't stop listening to it. As for the others, I'm surprised "Stars Are Crazy" isn't/wasn't getting more love since it's such a beautiful song. "When She Comes Down" is another of my favorites just because of the way it sounds, and the emotions he brings to it. "In Our Own Time" because of it's rockish feel and killer guitar. And "That's the Way that Love Goes" probably in the same vein as "Time."

But again, they are all excellent in their own way. It just look Lindsey's solo stuff to grow on me more than Mac stuff and proves he's a master songwriter and guitarist.
I also love Stars Are Crazy. Even though he is not the original songwriter, what he did with it is so beautiful and soulful, and the lyrics feel very personal.

I've only been a Lindsey fan since Nov 2011, when I saw the Small Machine tour, and I was just blown away (before that, he was 'that good guitarist from Fleetwood Mac'). Just wanted to say it's been an enjoyable ride to date discovering all his solo work for the last year and a half or so; hope you enjoy same.
BTW, I almost always prefer his live recordings to studio - don't know why he over-engineered his voice so much on SWS...on my mixes, I tended to substitute songs from Small Machine DVD or other places...
Old 04-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
I also love Stars Are Crazy. Even though he is not the original songwriter, what he did with it is so beautiful and soulful, and the lyrics feel very personal.

I've only been a Lindsey fan since Nov 2011, when I saw the Small Machine tour, and I was just blown away (before that, he was 'that good guitarist from Fleetwood Mac'). Just wanted to say it's been an enjoyable ride to date discovering all his solo work for the last year and a half or so; hope you enjoy same.
BTW, I almost always prefer his live recordings to studio - don't know why he over-engineered his voice so much on SWS...on my mixes, I tended to substitute songs from Small Machine DVD or other places...
I prefer some of his live recordings to the album versions as well: "Stars" is a good example because I had heard the live version from the Small Machine first and then the album version. Now, I like both but still hold the live version in higher regard. And yeah, I also don't know why he over-engineered his voice on SWS - sometimes it sounds really good, other times it sounds weird. Is he embarrassed of his voice that he feels the need to do that or does he just want to make it sound cool? I'm just purely speculating here.

I also have yet to see Lindsey live, but since hearing most of his music I really, really want to if he goes on tour again. Seeing the Mac in June though for the first time! So excited!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Welcome to The Ledge, SadAngel. And welcome SHN, too

I'm one of the few, I think, who loves WSCD. It is gorgeous, and very Lindsey to me. I'm not going to blast it in the car on my way to work, but it's a great song, and I listen to it sometimes in the evening, and I wouldn't dream of skipping it, or any other song on my favorite Lindsey album.

I love your last statement so much. His stuff does often take time to fully appreciate, but that's what makes it so good. If you're willing and able to invest a little extra time in him, more often than not, he'll reward you. There's so much to love in his music, and I never tire of his songs, since it seems like I'm always hearing something new with each listen. Most people won't take that time, and will simply write his music off as being too weird. He's said it himself, that his music isn't for everyone. It's for those that get it, and appreciate it for what it is.

Quote:
I prefer some of his live recordings to the album versions as well: "Stars" is a good example because I had heard the live version from the Small Machine first and then the album version. Now, I like both but still hold the live version in higher regard. And yeah, I also don't know why he over-engineered his voice on SWS - sometimes it sounds really good, other times it sounds weird. Is he embarrassed of his voice that he feels the need to do that or does he just want to make it sound cool? I'm just purely speculating here.

I also have yet to see Lindsey live, but since hearing most of his music I really, really want to if he goes on tour again. Seeing the Mac in June though for the first time! So excited!
You sound like me a couple years ago. I much preferred live versions to albums, but as I said, he keeps growing on me, and now I really have no preference! In fact, though I understand exactly what you mean about the over production, and I used to wonder the same thing about if he didn't like his voice, I really don't think his voice is all that engineered on SWS. It actually sounds like his real voice to me, maybe a bit higher, but not glaringly so. His voice in concert is stronger, and he sings more in lower registers, but when he sings in his higher register, it sounds a lot like his voice on his albums to me. I also don't think he's embarrassed by his voice in the least (as well he shouldn't be!). Once you've seen him live, you won't wonder about that any more I think he just likes that particular sound, and of course, he loves tweaking and perfecting everything he does.

I hope he tours in 2014. In fact, I'll be in serious depression if he doesn't His live show is awe inspiring, and whatever it takes, you should find a way to go. No way will you regret it, and it may be the best concert you ever go to
Old 04-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Welcome to The Ledge, SadAngel. And welcome SHN, too

I'm one of the few, I think, who loves WSCD. It is gorgeous, and very Lindsey to me. I'm not going to blast it in the car on my way to work, but it's a great song, and I listen to it sometimes in the evening, and I wouldn't dream of skipping it, or any other song on my favorite Lindsey album.

I love your last statement so much. His stuff does often take time to fully appreciate, but that's what makes it so good. If you're willing and able to invest a little extra time in him, more often than not, he'll reward you. There's so much to love in his music, and I never tire of his songs, since it seems like I'm always hearing something new with each listen. Most people won't take that time, and will simply write his music off as being too weird. He's said it himself, that his music isn't for everyone. It's for those that get it, and appreciate it for what it is.

You sound like me a couple years ago. I much preferred live versions to albums, but as I said, he keeps growing on me, and now I really have no preference! In fact, though I understand exactly what you mean about the over production, and I used to wonder the same thing about if he didn't like his voice, I really don't think his voice is all that engineered on SWS. It actually sounds like his real voice to me, maybe a bit higher, but not glaringly so. His voice in concert is stronger, and he sings more in lower registers, but when he sings in his higher register, it sounds a lot like his voice on his albums to me. I also don't think he's embarrassed by his voice in the least (as well he shouldn't be!). Once you've seen him live, you won't wonder about that any more I think he just likes that particular sound, and of course, he loves tweaking and perfecting everything he does.

I hope he tours in 2014. In fact, I'll be in serious depression if he doesn't His live show is awe inspiring, and whatever it takes, you should find a way to go. No way will you regret it, and it may be the best concert you ever go to
You and me both! So he better!

And it WILL be best concert you ever go to!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
I'm one of the few, I think, who loves WSCD.
I think it's great. When I heard about it, I pre-judged as I did with "Sad Angel." I thought this love song to Kristen would be sappy, but then when I listened it was complex, dramatic and unpredictable. It's unusual and I value that.

Michele