User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
He has talked about the BTLH lyrics though.

Michele
All I remember him saying about BTLH is that it was written over a number of years, and that part of the song was written at the beginning of a relationship, and part of it was written at the end of a relationship. I could be entirely wrong, and BTLH is really about a woman and not his band.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori40 View Post
Just when I think he wants us to make our own interpretations of his work, he'll mention something like fans misunderstanding SUD.
I thought Corey Sipper wrote "Shut Us Down" and LB took co-songwriting credit as he developed the instrumental guitar solo version. I enjoy her version of the song, really haunting. I did not care forLisa Sewy's Version of "Stars Are Crazy." Lyrical interpretation of these two songs never made any sense to me as I don't believe LB wrote the lyrics.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
I thought Corey Sipper wrote "Shut Us Down" and LB took co-songwriting credit as he developed the instrumental guitar solo version. I enjoy her version of the song, really haunting. I did not care forLisa Sewy's Version of "Stars Are Crazy." Lyrical interpretation of these two songs never made any sense to me as I don't believe LB wrote the lyrics.
I'm not in the business, so have no idea where the line is betwen lyrical interpretation, and a co-write He did do a fair amount of changes to the lyrics though, to both songs.

Quote:
Just my own interpretation. If I ever met Lindsey, I'd have a lot of questions about his music. I loved what he did with his promo video for SWS, and other than the few blurbs we got about a few songs on GOS, I can't remember seeing him speak about the meanings of his songs. Just when I think he wants us to make our own interpretations of his work, he'll mention something like fans misunderstanding SUD.
I never heard that before, but it's one of my favorite songs, so I'd love to know exactly what he said? Do you recall?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post

I never heard that before, but it's one of my favorite songs, so I'd love to know exactly what he said? Do you recall?
He just mentioned that he thought the fans were taking SUD to mean that Lindsey won't quit making music, and performing, but it is really about a relationship (I'm assuming between him and a woman, like maybe Stevie). I know that he did not write the song, but I do think that Lindsey chooses other writers' songs for a reason.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All I remember him saying about BTLH is that it was written over a number of years, and that part of the song was written at the beginning of a relationship, and part of it was written at the end of a relationship. I could be entirely wrong, and BTLH is really about a woman and not his band.
Here are a couple of LB comments about it.

Bleed to Love Her: "It does have the element of having to sacrifice your blood in order to get back what is sometimes worthwhile and the elusiveness of it. I mean the verses, that was written over a period of years actually, that song, and the verses were much later. In other words, the chorus, "bleed to love her," was written at the top of a new relationship and the verses, "pretending that she's not there," you know, the elusiveness of all of that, was written near the end."

More BTLH: "That song actually sort of evolved over about a two year period and when I wrote the chorus in which that appears - "bleed to love her" - uh, I had just entered into a relationship with someone and I really felt that I, you know, would be willing to bleed in order to make that work. And then of course maybe two years later, uh, things had kind of, um, drifted a little bit and the verses in there are talking about how elusive someone can be, ah, which I guess is the other side of the coin."
Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Bleed to Love Her: "It does have the element of having to sacrifice your blood in order to get back what is sometimes worthwhile and the elusiveness of it. I mean the verses, that was written over a period of years actually, that song, and the verses were much later. In other words, the chorus, "bleed to love her," was written at the top of a new relationship and the verses, "pretending that she's not there," you know, the elusiveness of all of that, was written near the end."

More BTLH: "That song actually sort of evolved over about a two year period and when I wrote the chorus in which that appears - "bleed to love her" - uh, I had just entered into a relationship with someone and I really felt that I, you know, would be willing to bleed in order to make that work. And then of course maybe two years later, uh, things had kind of, um, drifted a little bit and the verses in there are talking about how elusive someone can be, ah, which I guess is the other side of the coin."

Thanks, Michele. I don't think I ever read the second quote anywhere else before. I guess that settles it, BTLH is about a relationship with a woman and not FM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Bleed to Love Her, but it has to be The Dance version. Studio is crapola.

Mick
Aww, I like both! Actually I do prefer The Dance version, but I love the ending on the SYW version.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

thanks Michele.

he's so overdramatic sometimes with these "bleeding" "heroic" etc descriptions. sometimes i wonder whether he uses those words as much out of their regular meaning as when he says "burning the bridges"

which relationship was that btw? early 90s? he was with Anne Heche less than a year, right? so Cheri or someone else? seems it would be too early for Kristen, before the dance.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He just mentioned that he thought the fans were taking SUD to mean that Lindsey won't quit making music, and performing, but it is really about a relationship (I'm assuming between him and a woman, like maybe Stevie). I know that he did not write the song, but I do think that Lindsey chooses other writers' songs for a reason.
Huh. Do a lot of fans think that?? I never, ever took it to be about anything other than a relationship. I figured it was about Kristen.

Lindsey's just like anyone else, in that he appreciates lyrics he can relate to. Just most people can't then take the songs we like, and make them even better
Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
thanks Michele.

he's so overdramatic sometimes with these "bleeding" "heroic" etc descriptions.
Yes, ironic coming from someone who is NOT the romantic one.

LB: Stevie's always been more the romantic and the poet. She romanticizes her own romanticism. That's what makes her Stevie. I tend to be more of a realist in my lyrics. She's more up in the clouds with her vision, and I'm tending to be more on the ground.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, ironic coming from someone who is NOT the romantic one.

LB: Stevie's always been more the romantic and the poet. She romanticizes her own romanticism. That's what makes her Stevie. I tend to be more of a realist in my lyrics. She's more up in the clouds with her vision, and I'm tending to be more on the ground.
Funny, he's a Libra and she's a Gemini - both air signs with dual personalities. LOL
Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Well i prefer Bleed to Love Her. A question for you: why Lindsey decided to use the same verse ? Any specific reason ?

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "
Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really dig You Do Or You Don't, but I prefer Bleed To Love Her - it's a superb song. I have to say I am more partial to the live version on The Dance, but appreciate the extended outro on the studio take. I think the harmonies during the chorus are more pronounced on The Dance than on Say You Will and I always thought there had been a concerted effort to mix Christine's backing vocals up in the mix at the expense of Stevie's (she can be heard more clearly on the live version). I also think that the studio version suffers slightly from what sounds like a kind of synthetic mid 1990's production whereas The Dance version is more acoustic sounding. (I realise that The Dance as a whole is not exactly live as it had been tweaked to death in post-production.)
I've always wanted Lindsey and Stevie to attempt a truly acoustic version of Bleed To Love Her (and also Down On Rodeo) in concert.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I really dig You Do Or You Don't, but I prefer Bleed To Love Her - it's a superb song. I have to say I am more partial to the live version on The Dance, but appreciate the extended outro on the studio take. I think the harmonies during the chorus are more pronounced on The Dance than on Say You Will and I always thought there had been a concerted effort to mix Christine's backing vocals up in the mix at the expense of Stevie's (she can be heard more clearly on the live version). I also think that the studio version suffers slightly from what sounds like a kind of synthetic mid 1990's production whereas The Dance version is more acoustic sounding. (I realise that The Dance as a whole is not exactly live as it had been tweaked to death in post-production.)
I've always wanted Lindsey and Stevie to attempt a truly acoustic version of Bleed To Love Her (and also Down On Rodeo) in concert.
While there is no Stevie, the One Man Show version of BTLH is acoustic and amazing. And there is no Stevie here either, but acoustic DOR:

Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
While there is no Stevie, the One Man Show version of BTLH is acoustic and amazing. And there is no Stevie here either, but acoustic DOR:

Well thank the heavens there is no SN on these two wonderful songs!