The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Would you welcome an extended era of FM without SN?

What if SN took "her" break from the band, like LB and CM did? Would you welcome the 4 moving on without Stevie for 4-5 years? Releasing an album, then touring as a quartet again?

How about a set list (after a new album) like this? (A possible/likely combo)

1. Chain
2. Over My Head
3. Tango
4.New CM Song
5.New LB Song
6.NGBA
7. Eyes of the World
8. I know I'm not wrong
9. Think About Me
10. Not that Funny
11.Everywhere
12.New CM Song
13.New LB Song
14.You Make Lovin Fun
15.Steal your heart away
16. Come
17. Hold Me
18.I'm So Afraid
19. Don't Stop
20. Why
20. Go Your Own Way

Encroe
22. Tusk
23. Songbird

Last edited by ryan4136; 06-02-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Old 06-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, absolutely, without hesitation. I find Stevie to be the one who's talents have faded the most with age (among other things) considering the only thing she does is sing. And I don't particularly find her that exciting to watch anymore. I would prefer an album with all 5, but since she's the one holding it up I have no problem with them carrying on without her since they're all on board and eager to do the thing.

If she took a 5 year break I doubt there's a band to come back to. I don't think they're going to last that much longer.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
What if SN took "her" break from the band, like LB and CM did? Would you welcome the 4 moving on without Stevie for 4-5 years? Releasing an album, then touring as a quartet again?
would love it!

multiple reasons -
  • moving forward, fast and lean, creatively.
  • finally getting those new songs, now!!
  • cheaper concert prices.
  • everybody on the stage having a good time and wanting to be there instead of just going through the motions.
  • potentially a bit smaller venues (although i guess amphitheaters, but would be nice to get some theaters and even clubs. Spandau Ballet is on a highly profitable tour now and they play bunch of clubs!).
  • and last but not least the reason why all of the above would be enabled - no more band politics!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People have differing views on all of this but for me, 100% no. Fleetwood Mac without Stevie is just not Fleetwood Mac. I love Christine's and Lindsey's work but no Dreams, GDW, Rhiannon, SOTM, Gypsy etc. I would no longer be interested.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As much as Steve was my "gateway" Mac, I'm just not particularly fond of her music any longer. The occasional song I still love (Silver Springs, Sister Of The Moon, Landslide, etc) but if what we get from a new album with Steve involved is a Say You Will Part 2, then I can do without her. I just can't forgive her for that god awful Silver Girl. I don't know how that got through the first "filter".
Old 06-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd welcome an album but the reality is they wouldn't tour without her. The shows wouldn't draw large crowds. And I don't think the remaining four would do a stripped-down tour as Lindsey did a few years ago.

But yes, I'd welcome a new album with new music with open arms.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think an album and tour without Stevie would be utterly refreshing- and this is coming from a Stevie fan. Her malcontent and refusal to allow forward motion in this band the last decade is unfair to the band and it's fans. Like someone else pointed out- look how amazing and on point Lindsey and Christine were during Tango when Stevie was largely absent. I think the band would become a much lighter, more enjoyable affair if Stevie were allowed to sit out the next 3-5 years. Then if Stevie wanted to come back for a farewell album and tour, it would be a nice full circle thing.

That being said... this plan pushes the band's timeline out nearly a decade. Do we think these folks will want all of that craziness when they're 80? I'm not so sure.

We also have other factors, too. The band told Christine she couldn't come & go- I have to imagine that would hold true for Stevie, too. And Mick has made it a point to say the Rumours 5 is the very final incarnation of the band, and they won't be altering the lineup from here on out. So the odds of Stevie being allowed to leave and return seem pretty slim. The band is on their home stretch, and they want to finish out in tact so they wrap things up with a pretty bow.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, YES! I think this is a great idea! I'd love to see what the foursome of Mick, John, Chris and Lindsey could do by themselves both in the studio and on stage. I think the absence of Stevie could be a fascinating experience. I wouldn't mind if they just mixed, mastered and released what they've already worked on last year!

That being said, I DO HOPE that before the Mac calls it quits, that they at least do one more album/tour with all 5. So if Stevie does take a break to rest and concentrate on her own projects, I hope it's not for too long, and that she'll recover some creativity and have the desire to record with them again. I believe that they could feasibly continue for another 5-8 years before some of the band members hit 80. But then I see people 80+ like Leonard Cohen who are still out there touring so who knows?

But I'm getting off topic, as usual. YES I'd be fascinated to experience a "Stevie-less" Fleetwood Mac record. And this is coming from someone who adores her and her music!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL! ^^^ Posted this a couple of minutes after Louie! So yeah, basically what he said!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I'd welcome an album but the reality is they wouldn't tour without her. The shows wouldn't draw large crowds. And I don't think the remaining four would do a stripped-down tour as Lindsey did a few years ago.
I think you're right that they'd never tour without her. They're too skittish to even think of doing an album without her.

That said, I'd fully support an album with just the four of them and a tour with just them would be very interesting to me. I mean, I think a tour with all five of them is the most exciting, naturally. It's certainly better with her there and I'd look forward to her return to the fold a few years down the road, but as a once-in-a-lifetime thing, seeing what the four of them would do without her would be interesting.

Michele
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I believe that they could feasibly continue for another 5-8 years before some of the band members hit 80. But then I see people 80+ like Leonard Cohen who are still out there touring so who knows?
I've long said that I could see the band soldiering on into their 80s. After all, people like Pete Seger & BB King toured right up until the end of their lives, and they were far older than that. Bands like the Stones are a good deal older than FM and still going strong, too.

However, I think we're starting to see the strings unravel with this tour. FM will end up retiring not because of their physical abilities- but because they're just done. Done with the drama, the crazy schedules, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
but as a once-in-a-lifetime thing, seeing what the four of them would do without her would be interesting.
This is exactly how I felt when they moved forward with recording SYW minus Christine. I couldn't wait to see how it would alter Stevie and Lindsey's new music. Not because I disliked Christine, but I was just curious how it would distill the sound of the band. The same would go for nixing Stevie (see what I did there? ). I have a feeling Christine & Lindsey would intermesh more without Stevie's presence, whereas the opposite was true of Stevie & Lindsey when Chris left.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bring it on!

I'd say any MJCL set list would need to include Isn't It Midnight, Got A Hold On Me, Brown Eyes, Little Lies, Go Insane, Big Love (still) and one more Lindsey solo song. Or, perhaps a few early Mac numbers; Oh Well? Black Magic Woman?
I think it would be a really happy album/tour/time for the band. Just do it guys!!!!

Not gonna happen though.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
This is exactly how I felt when they moved forward with recording SYW minus Christine. I couldn't wait to see how it would alter Stevie and Lindsey's new music. Not because I disliked Christine, but I was just curious how it would distill the sound of the band. The same would go for nixing Stevie (see what I did there? ). I have a feeling Christine & Lindsey would intermesh more without Stevie's presence, whereas the opposite was true of Stevie & Lindsey when Chris left.
Yes, just the fact that they've worked on each other's songs from the start shows an integration between them that is promising and tantalizing to think about. Just give us their album and let us see what they're like. I mean, Tango was informative and this album would be even more so.

I always say that I dream in quintet, not stereo, but just this one time ...

They don't need to tour. In the old days, a tour was needed to promote an album, but this album won't sell more with a tour (well, unless they actually sold the album at the concert venue, which seems to be something they don't quite know how to do). People coming to the concert won't want to hear the new tunes anyway.

Profit would be the other reason to tour, but they're making a boatload of money right now. Can't that free them up to do something for purely creative reasons next year, now that their pockets are lined? Since the tour would be an even harder hurdle for them, they can forget about that and just give us an album.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 06-02-2015 at 01:43 PM..
Old 06-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes!

A lineup of Fleetwood Mac led by Lindsey and Christine could be musically marvelous. I really don't think those two singer/songwriter/musicians need Stevie to be great. They can be great without her, and to my thinking, probably greater without her than with her, at this point.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

As much as I love Stevie, I would definitely be interested. I mean....I don't really play any of Stevie's contributions to Tango - but that record has some of LB and CM's best pop work on it (I will always be bummed out that Joan of Arc didn't make it though)

So here's my question: What kind of sound would you want to hear from the band without Stevie? With a lot of young trendy acts emulating them in general, what should a modern FM record even sound like??