Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Voxy:

http://www.voxy.co.nz/entertainment/...w-1980/5/21755

Fleetwood Mac Announces First NZ Show Since 1980

Legendary super group Fleetwood Mac will return to New Zealand for the first time in nearly 30 years for an exclusive show at New Plymouth's beautiful TSB Bowl of Brooklands in December.

Following on the heels of their hugely successful 55-city sold out North American tour, Fleetwood Mac - Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie - will bring their 'Unleashed' tour to New Zealand on Saturday December 19. The tour is a two-hour plus celebration of all the greatest hits from undoubtedly one of the most enduring, celebrated and influential rock groups of all time.

Promoter Andrew McManus said: "I am thrilled to be bringing this incredible band back to New Zealand for this one-off concert. It's been nearly 30 years which is way too long! Fans will no doubt travel from all over the country to experience this legendary band."

"We love our band and think the title of the tour, 'Unleashed', perfectly describes how we all feel when we get on stage together - especially in 2009. We're so happy to be back out on the road where we'll perform everyone's favorite songs and see all our New Zealand fans," said Fleetwood Mac in a joint statement.

The band has received unanimous rave reviews on their US tour and enjoyed themselves so much that they have added a two month stint through Europe leading in to Australia and New Zealand in December.

And how's this for a set list?! 'Rhiannon', 'Dreams', 'The Chain', 'Tusk', 'Landslide', 'Gold Dust Woman', 'Say That You Love Me', 'Stand Back', 'Go Your Own Way', 'Don't Stop', 'Sara' and 'Never Going Back Again' to name just a few of their incredible classic hits! Their magnum opus 'Rumours'- the 1977 Grammy Award winner for Album of the Year - stands as one of THE greatest albums ever made.

With in excess of 40 million copies sold worldwide, its songs have unquestionably stood the test of time and still sound amazing. And according to the US reviewers, the band's supreme musicianship and superstar aura remain very much intact.

"Fleetwood Mac offers a love affair to last." (Chicago Sun-Times, March 2009)

"It should surprise no onethe band's show at Madison Square Garden proved as musically vital, and as alive with subtext, as ever." (New York Daily News, March 2009)

"the band dug in, rocked out and had no problem reclaiming the original passion of the times to the delight of the audience." (Ottawa Citizen, March 2009)

"An abundance from one of the most successful catalogs in rock history, more than enough to keep the two-hour and 20-minute show airborne from start to finish." (Billboard, March 2009)

"Its official: Fleetwood Mac hasn't lost a stepthe Mac remains a well-oiled machine that need only be kicked into gear when the timing is right." (Boston Herald, March 2009)

"Sending fans home happy...not only is the Mac back, but still in very fine form." (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 2009)

Don't miss the chance to see this extraordinary, iconic band in what promises to be one of the musical highlights of the year.

SATURDAY DECEMBER 19th NEW PLYMOUTH, TSB BOWL OF BROOKLANDS TICKETS ON SALE WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 9 From Ticketmaster, www.ticketmaster.co.nz or 0800-111-999
Old 08-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Taranaki Daily News, 8/22/09

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...ng-to-the-Bowl

A Fleetwood Mac concert for New Plymouth has been confirmed - and for the first time at the Bowl of Brooklands fans will be close enough to see the perspiration on the performers' faces.

The veteran British band is hitting Taranaki on December 19 and the TSB Bowl of Brooklands is the only venue in New Zealand it will play.

And the controversial 1000-seat lake platform will be ready in time for the concert.

Confirming the gig yesterday, New Plymouth District Council manager of business developments and events Garry Sharpe- Young said Fleetwood Mac was the concert of the year.

"They are one of the top 10 selling bands in the world," he said.

"Fleetwood Mac covers a broad range of people, everyone knows their songs."

Mr Sharpe-Young says securing the band is a major coup for New Plymouth.

"This is an A-list band and we are the only place in New Zealand that has them.

"All the major centres wanted Fleetwood Mac and I think it has a lot to do with the venue."

He says you have to be able to offer something different, something unique and that's what the Bowl is.

As with Cliff Richard and The Shadows, the new platform seating over the lake was a deciding factor for Fleetwood Mac.

"Artists like to get intimate with the audience," Mr Sharpe-Young said.

"We have taken note of what artists have said and are maximising the venue."

People on platform seating must be aware that if they wish to dance they must stand next to their seat and not all go to the front.

The platform has been designed to be removed so it cannot bear too much weight all on one side.

Mr Sharpe-Young says extra flights will be put on to New Plymouth to meet the demand of out-of-town concert goers.

Fleetwood Mac has not performed in New Zealand since 1980 when it played in Auckland and Wellington, attracting more than 80,000 people.

Singer Stevie Nicks performed at the Bowl in March 2006 in a double billing with John Farnham.

Fleetwood Mac is in its golden years, performing for more than 40 years. The band is touring the world with New Zealand one of the final stops.

It is made up of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, drummer Mick Fleetwood and the bass player John McVie, for whom, together, the band is named.

There is no new album to promote but at a concert at Madison Square Gardens in March guitarist Buckingham hinted there might be one in the works.

Fleetwood Mac has sold more than 50 million albums worldwide and its 1977 album Rumours stayed at number one on the US charts for 31 weeks.

Ad Feedback But what Fleetwood Mac fans want is the oldies, Dreams, Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way, Gypsy, Little Lies, Landslide and Rhiannon to name a few.

Word is that during the tour the band is sticking closely to its 1975 self-titled album, the first to feature the Buckingham-Nicks combo, and its follow-up two years later, Rumours, one of the biggest-selling albums of all time.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

TVNZ, August 22, 2009
http://tvnz.co.nz/one-news/mac-back-2936721

Legendary super group Fleetwood Mac will return to New Zealand for the first time in nearly 30 years for an exclusive show at New Plymouth's TSB Bowl of Brooklands in December.

The band - Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie - will bring their Unleashed tour to New Zealand on Saturday December 19.

Promoter Andrew McManus says he is thrilled to be bringing the band back to New Zealand.

"It's been nearly 30 years which is way too long. Fans will no doubt travel from all over the country to experience this legendary band," he says.

Fleetwood Mac said in a joint statement that the name of the tour, Unleashed, reflects how they feel to be back on stage in 2009.

"We're so happy to be back out on the road where we'll perform everyone's favourite songs and see all our New Zealand fans," the statement said.

The band has received unanimous rave reviews on their US tour.

Tickets will be available through Ticketmaster from September 9.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In the Sunday Star Times today

It makes me want to go to this one too also. I think i will go to sydney and this, what the hell
Old 08-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Junior Ledgie

Maybe they will add an Auckland or Christchurch show later?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood fluster over ticket prices

August 26,2009

Tickets to the Fleetwood Mac concert haven't gone on sale yet but already there's confusion over how much they will cost.

One website, www.showbiznz.co.nz, has begun offering pre-sale tickets at $147.50 for general admission to $369 for the best seats on the platform over the lake at New Plymouth's Bowl of Brooklands.

But these prices look to be more expensive than what will be offered when tickets go on general sale next month - the Taranaki Daily News understands they will range from $120 to $320.

That won't be officially known until September 4 when first dibs on Fleetwood Mac's December 19 concert will go to TSB Bank customers, who will be able to buy them on-line until September 8. Public sales will then open the next day.

Leesa Tilley, general manager of promoter Andrew McManus Presents, said promoters often worked with on-sellers like Showbiznz who were allocated a very limited number of ticket "holds".

"These aren't actual tickets these won't be available until the general public tickets go on sale and they can market or sell them however they like," she said.

"How they market and sell them is up to them."

The prices to be asked for the big concert look similar to pricing for Taranaki's last major concert, the performance by Sir Elton John in December 2007.

Prices for that event ranged from $155 to $375.

* How much would you pay to go? Post your comments below.

Emma #1 9:28am
I'm confused as to when they go one sale - I was under the impression that I'd be amongst pre-sale customers as I provided Ticketmaster with my email address. It seems that all it was was a ploy to fill my inbox with their spam (none of which included anything about Fleetwood Mac). I'd pay $120 and that would be about it. I love them but have to draw the line somewhere...plus its 6 days out from Christmas....what is with that??

Corina #2 9:31am
It's a once in a lifetime opportunity! Anything under $1000 would be worth it.

Rob Douglas #3 10:11am
Does anybody know whether Christine McVie is coming with them on this tour? Or is she still 'retired' from the band.

Brenz #4 10:11am
$375 sounds outrageous to me! I saw Fleetwood Mac in concert in 1994 when they were the opening act for Crosby Stills & Nash ... in the US, but tickets were only $35. C'mon, Fleetwood Mac is worth seeing, but not at these prices.

chris #5 10:26am
Grow up Kiwis. This is an international act. Artist's no longer make money from record sales as everyone downloads for free just about. This is how they make money. The rest of the world are happy to pay the gate rate, so stop whining, stop asking for discount, you're not special. If you want to see Fleetwood Mac, just cough up the dollars and stop complaining.

Nick #6 10:27am
Rob, pretty sure she won't be there.

Nathan #7 10:28am
at #2- I read somewhere that Christine McVie is still "retired" and it will be just the four of Mick, Stevie,John and Lindsey.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...-ticket-prices
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Junior Ledgie

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...ng-to-the-Bowl

glenno #1 11:24 am Aug 22 2009
I'll be there only if Christine McVie is on keyboards, and the chances of that are about zilch, sadly.

lynnie #2 11:27 am Aug 22 2009
Oh Heck Yes I will be going

Athene #3 11:41 am Aug 22 2009
What about Christie McVie. Come on people, if your going to name the members why not name all of them?

suz #4 11:47 am Aug 22 2009
I would love to be able to go, but I probably won't be able to

Tim #5 12:22 pm Aug 22 2009
ARGH!!! Same day as Green Day. Gutted.

Would be there for sure otherwise.

Mikey #6 12:36 pm Aug 22 2009
Christine has retired, sadly. After many approaches she has always declined all offers to perform with the band again. Sorry guys.

glenno #7 12:54 pm Aug 22 2009
Most Fleetwood Mac fans will go to this concert to hear the songs from the Rumours album era, from the late 70s. The reported line-up for this tour is 80% of the line-up from that era. If you google the song-list for the tour, you'll see they are being true to the 70s era fans. The 5th member, Christine McVie kept the bluesy sound to the Mac, with both her superb keyboard playing and smokey vocals. This helped Mick Fleetwood and John McVie anchor the sound that they are most famous for. Sure Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks probably 'saved' Fleetwood Mac, however without the cornerstone three of the 70s line-up, Rumours would not have happened. Christine McVie has retired from concert appearances, although she has not discounted studio work with the Mac. She also recorded her solo album "In The Meantime", in 2004. Of the still-growing number of people to go through Fleetwood Mac (Daughter of Delany & Bonnie - Bekka Bramlett!) the only others of note are long gone - Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer. Christine, you're a "Songbird".

Chris #8 12:59 pm Aug 22 2009
I'll be there with bells on. Sadly Christine isn't part of the tour but then she retired in 1998. People should respect that, but bear in mind they will still get a stunning concert with the remaining members of the "classic" line up. I saw them in Vegas in May this year and they were in top form but they kept the spirit of Christine in their set list as well as a few surprises which will no doubt be lapped up by fans.

Stuart #9 01:06 pm Aug 22 2009
I was all set to go but have already booked to be away for Xmas. How can a big band like The Mac play one concert at the Bowl anyway?

steve #10 01:43 pm Aug 22 2009
Definitely! And as a TSB customer, I can get an exclusive early bird deal! Who would have thought that I could see Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits, Santana, Cliff and The Shadows (can't - sold out)and all within walking distance of home! No Auckland cost-a-fortune, drama getting back and forth to the venue here! Eat yer heart out Tauranga, Hamilton and Palmerston North. Not to mention Boyracerville, Wellie and Auckland. New Plymouth rocks!

Ad Feedback JP #11 01:44 pm Aug 22 2009
Athene, Christine's not mentioned because she retired from the band in 1998. Fleetwood Mac are now a 4-piece.

Brent #12 02:00 pm Aug 22 2009
I don't think Christine is touring anymore, so sadly I will not be going without her (just not the same).

I am surprised that Stevie Nicks is touring as she was known to say that she would not tour as part of Fleetwood Mac again without Christine.

E #13 02:20 pm Aug 22 2009
I will definatly be there.. im mid 20's and the mac rocks.

glenno #14 03:48 pm Aug 22 2009
....and something I omitted to say earlier...the photo's a dodgy, isn't it?

tony #15 05:21 pm Aug 22 2009
YAY...Stevie coming to my hometown, New Plymouth the best Place to be!!!!

Peter McLean #16 09:07 pm Aug 22 2009
Saw Fleetwood Mac in Brisbane 2004. They played for 2 and a half hour the whole concert! The best shoe I have ever been to!!! Linsay Buckingham one of the mst talented musicians I have ever seen. You Should see this.

criddles #17 11:59 pm Aug 22 2009
OOOW Hell Yeah its about time!!!! I have waiting ever since i was 18 now im 26 cannot wait!!

Kiwigirl #18 04:53 am Aug 23 2009
I live in Canada and saw them in Vancouver in May. I've waited 20 years and they did not disappoint! Stevie and Lindsay are awesome, and Mick still wows me on the drums. John as always reliable and fantastic on the guitar. The fact Christine is not there is not the end of the world, not that I wouldn't have wanted the original 5. If you can get to see this show, you will not be disappointed.

Nicci Hunt #19 05:35 am Aug 23 2009
My mate saw them here in Dallas, & loved them, said it was one of the best concerts she had been too, & she's been to a lot!. Will be flying into Auckland from Dallas on the 18th of Dec...& will be at the concert in the great Naki

Brett #20 09:31 am Aug 23 2009
Got our Cliff and Shadows tickets, will definitely be in this as well. No need to eat our heart out Steve, only a 3 hour nice relaxing drive from PN, on some of the best roads in the country. You are rightly proud of the Bowl, saw Mark Knopfler there a couple of years ago outstanding venue and ourstanding show. Fleetwood Mac are still are great band even without Christine.

Ad Feedback Duncan #21 10:31 am Aug 24 2009
I'd go if it was the Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac.

Ian #22 03:38 pm Aug 24 2009
New Plymouth sucks. It really really sucks.

TW #23 11:49 am Aug 25 2009
I'm so going! With my parents But it's going to be so awesome! Grew up to the Mac playing in the car on the way to summer holidays, and they are just amazing. Christine McVie will be missed, but I relish the chance to see Stevie (nearly got named Stevie, dad's dream!) live, missed her last concert. I'm so excited!!! And totally affordable too. Go New Plymouth for being such an awesome venue!

Kay #24 02:47 pm Aug 25 2009
We'll be coming from Melbourne, so seeing Fleetwood Mac twice!!

Nathalie B #25 05:18 am Aug 26 2009
We will have at least 3 cars full from Hawkes Bay for this! Great pricing too at $120 for such an amazing band. Why can't The Mission get it's act together to get the kind of artists the little Naki seems to be attracting?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Item 3:So, Fleetwood Mac are coming to New Zealand. That's great, because even though the band's classic albums - Rumours (1977) and Tusk (1979) - were a little before my time, I've always had a crush on Stevie Nicks, with her long mane of blonde hair and lacy hippy frocks.

And it's even better that the band is playing in my hometown of New Plymouth at my favourite venue in the world, the beautiful Bowl of Brooklands.

However, sorry to spoil the party, but the gig might not be all it's cracked up to be. You see, what makes the Bowl unique, apart from the natural grass bowl, is the lake in front of the stage. For Fleetwood Mac (and Cliff Richard and the Shadows in February), the New Plymouth District Council is plonking a 1000-seat platform over the lake. Having been to many concerts at the bowl, including seeing Tim Finn row across the lake during Six Months In a Leaky Boat, I have to say it won't be the same without the lake.

By the sound of it, the introduction of the platform was a deciding factor for New Plymouth scoring Fleetwood Mac's only New Zealand show because the band insisted it would make for a more "intimate" gig.

Then again, why couldn't they say to Stevie and the lads that they'd happily put on a row boat for them to use? I don't mind rowing them across.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=10593319
Old 08-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Supporting Ledgie

It's an interesting idea, but for me, if you're not going to be near the stage I just not into it
Old 09-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

FLEETWOOD MAC are performing one concert only at the stunning Bowl of Brooklands in New Plymouth, New Zealand on December 19th with tickets going on sale on September 9th.

Easymix 98.2fm in Auckland will be giving away tickets closer to the concert, and next week on September 9th they will be interviewing Lindsey.

Lindsey on September 9th will discuss everything from the possibility of new Fleetwood Mac music, his reputation as one of the most distinctive guitarists ever, why New Zealand was the only country they didn’t do an encore in, how his wife copes with the sexual tension between him and Stevie Nicks and much, much more. Be listening September 9th!

http://lindseybuckingham.wordpress.c...w-new-zealand/
Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In my opinion: Bad memories of Mac remainBy Grant Harding
5th September 2009

When friends gather, and the conversation turns to rock music it will eventually swing around to the best concert ever seen.

My pick would be Bob Marley and the Wailers at Auckland's Western Springs in 1979: great atmosphere, great performance - an artist at his peak. Yes, it could have been longer, but Bob and the Wailers delivered.

There are other categories.

The one you don't remember - George Thorogood and the Destroyers in Palmerston North. Don't ask.

Then there's the worst concert ever.

You probably wouldn't guess who gets my top billing in that category in a million years.

A clue: they're coming back in December, and their tickets for a one-off concert go on sale Monday.

That's right - supergroup Fleetwood Mac.

It was March 1980 in Wellington, and they were riding high on Rumours (1977) and the recently released Tusk. But in true rock fashion that wasn't all they were riding high on and the state of their personal relationships - four of the band members had once made two happily married couples - was chaotic.

That concert has been on my mind lately because of a couple of texts sent to Hawke's Bay Today bemoaning the Mission's Motown act, and the inability to get an act like the Mac.

It brought a sly grin to the face as I remembered back to the debacle that night at Athletic Park.

I know Mick Fleetwood has written about it, but the best reference I could find on the internet was the following passage: "(Lindsey) Buckingham finally succumbed to the curse of Fleetwood Mac guitarists.

"At one show in New Zealand, as (Stevie) Nicks sang Rhiannon he pulled his jacket over his head and began performing a grotesque imitation of her. Christine McVie slapped him. 'I might have chucked a glass of wine over him, too,' she says. 'I didn't think that was the way to treat a paying audience'."

I suspect that incident came just before the band left the stage to temporarily sort out their differences so the show could go on.

Legendary New Zealand bluesman Hammond Gamble and his band, Street Talk, was the support act that night and they had played superbly.

As Fleetwood Mac deteriorated in front of our eyes, I remember a chant starting up: "Bring back Street Talk." I joined in.

I gave Hammond a call this week to check that my memory hadn't faded. It hadn't - his had. "Are you sure it wasn't earlier than 1980?" he said down the phone from Auckland.

But he remembered the important stuff.

"They were arguing among themselves," he said. "We were told to leave them alone and don't get near them."

Hammond said the gig that followed at Western Springs was a good concert but Wellington was most definitely "meltdown night".

After their team meeting, Fleetwood Mac did return to the stage and Nicks used all of her considerable charm in an attempt to win the crowd over and prove she was the rock goddess we had come to see.

Somehow, though, it was forced. And 29 years later as the band, minus the delightful Christine McVie, prepare for their first New Zealand concert since that fateful March, it remains my worst live rock experience.

On that night, despite my liking for their music and lusting for Nicks, personal problems won out over the band's reputation and ability.

That is well behind them and there is nothing to suggest they will be anything but great in New Plymouth.

But, dear text messagers, there is no need to build up the Mac to put down the Mission.

From what I have observed of The Mission concert crowds, they are at their happiest when they can sing along. And when I hit www.missionconcert.co.nz yesterday there was immediate responsiveness and movement in the office as the Temptations Get Ready blasted out of my computer.

If that was a taster, it will be a good night in the Bay come February 13.

But by all means spend your bucks on a drive to New Plymouth where Stevie, Lindsey, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood could never be as bad again as they were in Wellington 29 years ago.

* Grant Harding is APN's Columnist of the Year.

http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/loca...emain/3903755/
Old 09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

David,

Are you reading? This is pretty much what we were thinking.

Michele
Old 09-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I am still amazed that no one in New Zealand seems to have gotten photos or video of this incident.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I am still amazed that no one in New Zealand seems to have gotten photos or video of this incident.
Just what I was thinking. There must be some somewhere, unless Lindsey has somehow suppresed it? Sounds like he deserved that glass of wine and a damn good slap from Chris! Now that I'd like to see!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:23 AM
Supporting Ledgie

There has just GOT to be photos of it. That would've been a big deal... Fleetwood Mac playing New Zealand. I would imagine some of the press would've gotten at least one shot or two of the incident.