Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Village Recorder

Does anyone know anything about The Village Recorder? I don't know why, after living in LA for 12 years, it's only now just occurred to me to drive by and take a look at it. Is the mural still there? I've seen that image watching the Tusk Documentary so many times. And I love finding famous locations like houses from TV shows or movie shoots. I figure, why not. Anyone else been by there?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You've got to be kidding me!!! I have driven past this building hundreds of times going to the beach from West Hollywood and I never knew that on the opposite side of this random building was that famous mural. And that one of my favorite albums of all time was recorded there. Damn, if this weekend wasn't Karmageddon I'd drive down there tonight an snap some pics.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This whole "Carmageddon" phenomena is manufactured by the media. It's just the same as the "Y2K" panic of 1999.

The damned freeway is going to be closed for 52 hours. The media has been hyping this sh*t for 4 months...if there are traffic jams, it just proves that there should be IQ tests to get your driver's license instead of eye exams.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

chiliD, when Hollywood Blvd is closed the week of the Oscars, every street near the entire area is completely insane. I can only imagine that when all those cars that usually block up the 405 are displaced onto surrounding freeways that are already congested, thing are going to be crazy. I'm going to play it safe and just stick around Hollywood this weekend. I hope it is blown out of proportion and nobody has any troubles. But why take chances?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:36 PM

I'm going to sit here in Lake Balboa/Van Nuys and drink wine and watch movies and cook.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It seems like it hasn't been too bad. That's a good thing. I may take a ride down that way today or tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Village Recorder: Photos

So yesterday I began my trek from Hollywood down to West LA to check this place out. I put Tusk on my iPod and started heading down Santa Monica Blvd. I hadn't realized it had been so long since I had just listened to this incredible album from end to end. And with all the alternate mixes, live versions and demos I've been listening to I'd forgotten how much I love Tusk just as it is. Sara came on and I was blasting it with the windows down. It was a beautiful day out yesterday. And I was so caught up in the sheer beauty of this song that I drove right past the studio! The excitement was building the whole trip and I was totally lost in the music.

About two miles away I had realized my mistake and turned around. I swore out loud at myself for having made such a stupid mistake and started heading back to my intended location. I got to Butler Ave and saw it from the front. Making my turn I was surprised to see the words "Masonic Temple" over the door. I guess this building has a rich history.

As I went down the street I caught a glimpse of the mural in my rear view mirror and I could hardly contain myself. I noticed a number of police cars on this street (I think there's a station nearby) so rather than try to make some sort of U turn I thought it best to simply go around the block. Then something wonderful happened. As I approached the Village Recorder the song Angel started blaring through my speakers. And it struck me that I was seeing this building through my own eyes exactly the same way I saw it twenty years ago when I first saw the Tusk documentary. And I realized what a lovely gift from the Universe that was. I always say that the Universe speaks to me through Stevie's songs and for this afternoon to play out the way that it did, with my missing my turn and all that, I realized that this was exactly how it was supposed to happen. The mural was off in the distance getting closer and closer as Stevie sang "...and many of those dreams pass us by... keep passing me by", exactly like in the video. I was so overcome with emotion that I laughed out loud for a full minute.

I parked and just sat there looking at it in wonder while Stevie kept singing. Finally I got out and took a few pics. I posted the one with me in it on my Facebook and someone commented on my serious expression. The truth is, I was so in awe over standing on this spot that I was utterly speechless and didn't even realize that I had forgotten to smile.

The mural is very faded and these metal things have left dripping rust stains all over it, but it's still quite a majestic sight. I remember seeing the video for the first time and not quite getting that it was a mural. I even thought just for a moment that the studio was somehow perched up on this mountain. Then, once I realized it was a mural I kept trying to figure out what that thing teetering on the mountain top was supposed to be. I don't know who the artist was but it's supposed to be California sinking into the ocean. It wasn't until seeing it in person that I finally got it. It's a chunk of freeway that's broken off, with a big piece falling into the water. I'm quite saddened that it hasn't been cleaned up or restored. It's really breathtaking, and it reminds me of some of the really artsy album covers of the 70's, like that big stone giant crushing the members of Queen or the crying ape with the cake on Mystery to Me.

Anyway, I know this isn't anywhere near as exciting as meeting Stevie in person, but it was still quite an experience for me. And much more of an experience than I was expecting. It's like I always say... Hollywood is magic.

And if you want to compare the photos with the video, here it is:

http://youtu.be/3A6ICAlcREw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VillageRecordersDon.jpg (46.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg VillageRecorder.jpg (36.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a link to a better photograph of it, taken from someone's Flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianjacobs/483119070/
Old 08-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Village Recorder

I just posted about my visit to take a photograph of The Village Recorder today. Since it was about the making of the entire Tusk album I posted it in the Rumors forum, but in case some of you never go there, my story had a lot of Stevie in it, so I thought you might like to read it. Here's the link:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...01&postcount=7
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for linking here. I NEVER go anywhere but Stevie here.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm actually surprised to mural has remained on the wall for over 30 years... it's amazing it's not been painted over, flaked off, etc. Sans some fading and the rust stains, it's in remarkable shape.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for your photos.I have to look up the Trod Nossel studio video I shot a while back and post it.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

awesome. i always thought that was a cool mural, even tho i wasnt quite sure what it actually was supposed to be, thanks for the info on it. it is a shame that it hasnt been restored but...
so thats you it the first pic in front of the mural?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Macfanforever, mikebise, you're welcome. I love living in a city where I can go see stuff like this. I drive by Fairfax High School (the front side of Rydell High) every chance I get. Being a life long Grease fan I get a strange sense of comfort seeing it. Same as the Happy Days house.

SuiteShangriLa, yes that's me. I'm usually smiling a lot more, heh heh. I was really choked up that day. Here's a better pic of me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DonRed.jpg (23.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm actually surprised to mural has remained on the wall for over 30 years... it's amazing it's not been painted over, flaked off, etc. Sans some fading and the rust stains, it's in remarkable shape.
As faded as it is it's still quite stunning. I can only imagine what it was like back in the day.