Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 1973 picture

I was googling "fleetwood mac sound city 1975", looking for pictures of not just the 5 members but also people related to recording sessions, and found this.
Is Keith Olsen there? I can recognize him.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:25 PM

Great photo!
Old 07-28-2022, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Holy crap, this is rare.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Most likely 1978. Not 1973.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Most likely 1978. Not 1973.
Yeah, given her hair, you’re probably right. Now that I think about it, this is probably from their work on Walter Egan’s MAGNET AND STEEL record. That looks like it could be Egan in the center.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 07-28-2022 at 11:48 PM..
Old 07-28-2022, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yeah, given her hair, you’re probably right. Now that I think about it, this is probably from their work on Walter Egan’s MAGNET AND STEEL record. That looks like it could be Egan in the center.
Is absolutely Walter in the middle.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The Unlikely Path To Meeting Buckingham & Nicks
Egan admits that some of his success is due in part to serendipity. For example, he explained that when he first went to LA he met Chris Darrow who offered him a place to stay. (Darrow had been in the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band among others.) After two weeks in CA, Darrow asked Egan to play in his band that was touring in England, which he did. During that time Egan met Andrew Lauder who was the A&R manager at United Artists. Fast forward to a few years later when Egan is back in LA doing a gig with a new band he had put together. “I was the guitar player and the main writer, but I only sang one song; I didn’t consider myself a singer.” After that gig, Lauder offered him the opportunity to record three singles on his own. “We had done a few demos at Sound City, which at the time was a funky little studio that was just starting to get some notoriety. The engineer, Duane Scott, who had handled my demos, suggested Buckingham/Nicks as the producer, who I didn’t know at the time. Lindsey and Stevie had only been in Fleetwood Mac for about a year or so, and they wanted to keep their identity outside of the band, too. I went to Lindsey’s house and played my songs. We had a few things in common: We were both Kingston Trio and Beach Boys fans, and my middle name is Lindsey. I was very insecure about being the leader of this session, but they made it easy for me and gave me a lot of confidence. We basically formed a band for that record [Fundamental Roll]. I was just very lucky and fortunate to meet up with them at a time when they were really taking off as one of the biggest acts in the world. To this day, that connection with them [Buckingham & Nicks] has carried its way through my career.”

Of course that album produced his biggest hit “Magnet & Steel” inspired by Nicks whom Egan actually dated for about a month during the recording of the record. “Lindsey and Stevie were going through their big breakup. I remember her as still being a little insecure at the time. I would tell her she was a great singer, and she would say, ‘Really? Do you think so?’ Sometime near the end of our month together she said, ‘You’re so much like Lindsey.’ Later, sometime during the ’70s, I remember being in a club in NYC and sitting between Nancy Wilson of Heart and Stevie thinking, ‘It doesn’t get any better than this!’”

Source
With Walter Egan in 2015.
2105-walter-and-lindsey
Great photo of Lindsey smiling. (Now that's rare!)
Old 07-29-2022, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Walter can't get arrested now. 10 years ago he was doing hip replacement billboard ads in Nashville. He played a late night gig at my tiny little bar where I hang out in Nashville, a few months ago. Did he have another hit, other than Magnet?

And he spent quite a few years as a substitute teacher here. Not dogging him, just calling a spade a spade. He didn't set the world on fire...
Old 07-29-2022, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Walter can't get arrested now. 10 years ago he was doing hip replacement billboard ads in Nashville. He played a late night gig at my tiny little bar where I hang out in Nashville, a few months ago. Did he have another hit, other than Magnet?

And he spent quite a few years as a substitute teacher here. Not dogging him, just calling a spade a spade. He didn't set the world on fire...
Christine did a cameo on one of his “lost” 80s records where she and the song sound terrific. Other than this, I know practically nil about Egan.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine did a cameo on one of his “lost” 80s records where she and the song sound terrific. Other than this, I know practically nil about Egan.
I didn't know that. I'd love to hear it. Do you have a link?
Old 07-29-2022, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Definitely not 1973- more like '75-76 recording of Egan's albums that prominently feature Stevie's vocals- which are really, really good, among her best. Any fan should look up Not Shy and Fundamental Roll for these songs, which are California mid 70's rock at it's best. The lost 80's album includes Only Love is Left Alive with McVie- she sounds terrific on this as well- kind of a prelude to her wonderful vocals on Tango in the Night.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Definitely not 1973- more like '75-76 recording of Egan's albums that prominently feature Stevie's vocals- which are really, really good, among her best. Any fan should look up Not Shy and Fundamental Roll for these songs, which are California mid 70's rock at it's best. The lost 80's album includes Only Love is Left Alive with McVie- she sounds terrific on this as well- kind of a prelude to her wonderful vocals on Tango in the Night.
That recording took place from 77-78.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I didn't know that. I'd love to hear it. Do you have a link?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUGJXP9uks

Good harmonies. But around the 1:10 mark, Christine has a very sexy descant that lifts the song into a different level.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 07-29-2022 at 11:14 AM..
Old 07-29-2022, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Good harmonies. But around the 1:10 mark, Christine has a very sexy descant that lifts the song into a different level.
thanks so much for sharing the link!

It's nice to still find unknown gems this late in the game with these folks
Old 07-30-2022, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Love Christine's vocals on it, but man, that is some BUSY production. Sounds like somebody is trying to land 20 jets at the same time.