The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I live in a place where some people have no clue what a Kardashian is and their only fixation is pills and Jesus. Harlan KY is not where I love to be but I do love the small town qualities. You could burp on one side of it and everyone would know by tomorrow afternoon. Everything you need is within a 10 minute drive. Everything you want is hours away (Lexington for instance). There are people here that live in pajamas and haven't had teeth since age 3 because they were raised off a check that lets them be lazy and worthless. But there is the other majority, people like me that live from paycheck to paycheck dreaming of leaving this place one day.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Tilthefirefades, I know what you mean. I can never decide if I'd enjoy small town life or really, really not enjoy it. I'd probably find it at once charming and incredibly irritating, and I do like the sense of anonymity bigger places give you, to an extent.

Does sound like an interesting place, though.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

New Orleans born and raised. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Very, very humid though; I could do without that.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Dex

I live in a village called St Dogmaels (or Llandudoch in Welsh) which is the very northern end of Pembrokeshire. Its very close to the town of Cardigan and my nearest beach is Poppit Sands. Its a really lovely area and a really friendly community. I can tell you lots more another time, but I have to go and get ready for the firework display - yippee!! love fireworks! Thanks for your interest - happy googling
Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
Hi Dex

I live in a village called St Dogmaels (or Llandudoch in Welsh) which is the very northern end of Pembrokeshire. Its very close to the town of Cardigan and my nearest beach is Poppit Sands. Its a really lovely area and a really friendly community. I can tell you lots more another time, but I have to go and get ready for the firework display - yippee!! love fireworks! Thanks for your interest - happy googling
Oh gosh it's bonfire night already? Sheesh the year goes fast.

Have a good time. I will be googling, but I'll hold you to your offer of telling me more another time. This thread needs a boost!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Was born in the Philadelphia exurbs of upper Bucks county Pa. but now live in the greatest winegrowing region in the world (sorry Tuscany and Provence )Napa California.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Oklahoma born...

and Oklahoma bred. I hate the stereotypes that Oklahomans are hayseeds and/or idiotic! Even worse is the use of the word "Okie" used towards us citizens of the city of Muskogee, Sorry Merle Haggard, but your song about my hometown missed the mark by light years...The first verse is the most inaccurate verse in all of music!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 11-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The tiny little town of Leary, Ga(the state not the country). I'm about an hour from Bama(Alabama for you yankees and non Americans) and Florida state lines.
Yahoo search for pics of Leary The first 8 rows are of the buildings.

We have the devil's number as our population(666), so that's gotta curse us or something. My paternal family has been here since the early 1800s. It's your typical small southern town, lots of gossip and church going. There's 6 churches within a mile radius of Leary. People here are easy going, laid back, polite, and semi accepting. There's nothing but farms, creeks, and a hunting reserve surrounding us. Right now, the aroma of the farmers harvesting peanuts is filling the air.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Was born in the Philadelphia exurbs of upper Bucks county Pa. but now live in the greatest winegrowing region in the world (sorry Tuscany and Provence )Napa California.
My parents visit Napa regularly and love it by all accounts. Looks like a wonderful place to live.

Mind you, they have been to Tuscany on a regular basis as well and I think would have a tough time rank ordering the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
and Oklahoma bred. I hate the stereotypes that Oklahomans are hayseeds and/or idiotic! Even worse is the use of the word "Okie" used towards us citizens of the city of Muskogee, Sorry Merle Haggard, but your song about my hometown missed the mark by light years...The first verse is the most inaccurate verse in all of music!
I had to google the lyrics to the song, and... Wow what an irritating piece! Like, holy crapballs! Glad to hear he's living in a fantasy world, because he just comes off like a smug judgemental ass.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Dex, last week you asked me where I come from, and I couldn't finish the post. I'm originally from Kent, but I haven't lived there since 1993. I spent many years in London and a couple of years in Sydney, Australia, and now I've ended up here in West Wales. I live here with my very lively 4 year old daughter, who keeps me very busy, and my cat who looks a lot like the photo above. Here are some pictures of my local area.

Are you in Brighton? I just had a chance to look through this thread and saw your photos. I considered moving to Brighton once over, as I used to spend weekends there years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: png untitled.png (73.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png untitled (2).png (49.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks for the photos, MoonSister! Looks like a beautiful place. Out of interest, how do you find being an Englishwoman in Wales, generally? A lot of English people I talk to slag off Wales in a jokey-bantery sort of way as seems to be the British norm, but sometimes I detect a bit of genuine fear of anti-English sentiment underneath that. My husband usually all but refuses to step foot over that way for example, much to my dismay. Maybe some people have just grown a little too used to being the dominant culture of the world over the last few centuries. I'd love to hear your take.

I live in Worthing which is about 10 miles west of Brighton, so you have a good eye! It lacks Brighton's well-earned reputation as a cultural hub but it is a charming place that I've developed a real affection for (something many of the locals seem to lack) and it seems to be consistently on the up, with progressively more interesting things opening up and happening as the days go by. It's nice to be a part of that, I think. I'd happily buy property and spend a solid chunk of my life here, but my husband has his heart set on moving to Canada, where I come from originally, so that's likely where we'll end up long-term.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So you are in Worthing...I don't think I've been there. I only had a quick glance at the photo's, and when I saw Sussex I immediately thought of Brighton. It does sound like a charming place - I've always had a soft spot for British seaside towns. I'm basically happy if there is a café and I can see the sea.

I've been here in Wales for 8 years now, and I honestly can't think of a time I've had a problem with the Welsh/English thing. Its a very accepting area around here. Its always had a lot of incomers from all over Britain and further afield. So its very good mix of Welsh and English and I also know German's, French and Czechs, and many other nationalities that live here. I really do love it here. Even though it might look quiet, there is loads of things going on. After moving around for 20 years (the gypsy me!) I've finally found somewhere that feels like home. I know what you mean about the anti-English and anti-Welsh sentiments, and I know those attitudes are around in some places, but I'm not aware of it around here. My daughter has started at Welsh school, so we are both learning Welsh now. Oh and my grandmother was Welsh so maybe its in my blood.

Canada sounds like a great place, I can understand your husband wanting to move there. I liked Australia because of the big open spaces and I can imagine Canada is similar in terms of space, and all that wildlife!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:10 AM
Ledgie

I live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. A city that you probably have heard of It's a great city with a lot of entertainment. I live here for three years now and I'm still enjoying the city. The center is beautiful with all the canals and houses. I live about 15 minutes away from it -by bike, we do almost everything by bike - .

-Tried to upload a picture of Amsterdam, but it didn't work. Just Google "Amsterdam" and you'll find a lot of pictures-

I'm originally from the north of The Netherlands, I've lived with my parents in a small town near a lake for 18 years. I did a lot of sailing there. For college and university I moved to a bigger town, known for it's education facilities. Had an awesome time there, living with friends, which was a lot of fun.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was born in Tretron, New Jersey, raised in National Park and currently live in Vineland. I'm a Jersey Girl, 100%.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:06 PM

I am born and live in Città della Pieve, a town in the province of Perugia. It's in Umbria very near the border with Tuscany. My house is in the fraction at the base of the hill in the extreme bottom: