The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin

Amber: How far do you think you walk in a week? You walk & bike most places, I'm just curious if you have any idea about distances? You are the long distance winner, IMO.
Without extra excercising, I bike about 400 blocks a week. That is if I go to Earthjustice 3 days that week. (sometimes I go more, sometimes less). That also includes my regular errands like trips to the store for groceries.

I don't walk much anymore unless I am excercising, as it can hurt my knee. But before I got the bike I would walk to work and back most days (or rollerblade) and same thing to do my errands, so I probably did about 275 blocks a week with that. Over 300 with sundries.
Now I mainly walk to BART & back, and school, which is about 50 blocks a week.
When I do that bike up the hill then hike up the steep hill excercise thing...I do it for usually between an hour and two hours each time, the hike part is between 45 min and 1 1/2 hours. I didn't do it for the past 8 weeks or however long it was raining constantly, but typically I did and will do that between 2-4 times a week. It's pretty hard, you've seen the hill. It's actually why my legs are so very pained right now, but hopefully I can resolve that soon - I'll probably only do once or twice a week for the next couple weeks, especially since I'll have the extra Earthjustice biking and also finals...
Oh, and I do weights, too - arms and calves and sit ups and bun-ups - but only about 4 times a week, I could do a lot more. Sometimes I only do one set. But my body is just killing me right now in the thigh and hip area, it's sapping my strength.

What I need to do is more yoga, I usually only get about 2 hours a week in... It hurts to do it more now cause of my legs, and also it is more difficult for me to do quiet, slow exercises - I can't calm down and it's too dull, I like me the fast, hard movement. I make myself, though.

Thanks for asking, you know how I do love to go on and on about this boring crap!
And if anyone is wondering why I'm not thinner, go f**k yourselves!!! (I just lost 2 more pounds, though. It must have been the beer ).

My question is for...Paula -
are you really happily married? Why don't you guys get bored? How have you stayed together for so long? Do you laugh a lot together? Do you give each other lots of space? What's the deal?

Oh, apparently 12 blocks equals a mile, just found that out. So, that's only about 30 miles/week...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 04-29-2006 at 01:56 AM..
Old 04-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
gldstwmn...is GDW your favorite?
and if so, why? (i know, why not!)
I came up with the idea to put "gldstwmn" on my license plate. I relate to the song in a lot of ways but after a while I decided that wasn't something I really wanted to hold on to so... I bought a new car and decided I wasn't that in love with vanity plates. Lo and behold, one day I'm over on the Nicks Fix and someone has "gldstwmn" on a license plate. So maybe I inspired them to put it on a license plate, who knows?
As for my favorite performances of the song, I like the alternate version that is on 25 Years The Chain box set. For live performances, I prefer the era where she yells "Pick it up!" If I remember correctly it would be Street Angel era. I also love when she ad libs "You don't want to see it." I specifically remember her doing this at the AHI benefit in 2000. I also find myself saying "Pick up the pieces and move on" when things don't go the way I or others expect them to in life. So thank you Stevie for that little bit of wisdom.
Now I have a question for you. You are so good with graphics, is that what you do for a living? If not, then you should. Cha ching!
Old 04-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
And if anyone is wondering why I'm not thinner, go f**k yourselves!!! (I just lost 2 more pounds, though. It must have been the beer ).

Congrats on the 2 lbs! You know, we tend to minimize "small" losses like that but it really isn't small. You had to burn 7,000 calories to lose that. Thing about a 2 lb hunk of meat, it's not that small! Good for you.

I also recently lost 2 lbs. So I'm down 4 since beginning my dedicated gym routine at the end of Jan. That's just over a pound a month. But I've kicked it up this month and am going about 2x as often and am much stronger and have much higher endurance. So I'm burning more calories each time I go. Plus it is making me feel really good so I'm becoming addicted. I can't wait to go today. Isn't that weird?

Amber, don't be afraid to take some ibuprofen or something for your legs. Sometimes we forget that we can do that. Stretch more often if you can too. I know what you mean about it being boring. I have to force myself sometimes too. But it feels so good when you're done!
Old 04-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Congrats on the 2 lbs! You know, we tend to minimize "small" losses like that but it really isn't small. You had to burn 7,000 calories to lose that. Thing about a 2 lb hunk of meat, it's not that small! Good for you.

I also recently lost 2 lbs. So I'm down 4 since beginning my dedicated gym routine at the end of Jan. That's just over a pound a month. But I've kicked it up this month and am going about 2x as often and am much stronger and have much higher endurance. So I'm burning more calories each time I go. Plus it is making me feel really good so I'm becoming addicted. I can't wait to go today. Isn't that weird?

Amber, don't be afraid to take some ibuprofen or something for your legs. Sometimes we forget that we can do that. Stretch more often if you can too. I know what you mean about it being boring. I have to force myself sometimes too. But it feels so good when you're done!

Good job, Suze! I'm not afraid, I take it all the time, that's what I'm afraid of - and have been for months now. I've also had a vicoden prescrip for the past couple months.
Do I really strike you as the kind of person who would take pain rather than take medicine???
It's not weird to want to go, I love to exercise. It's long been my raison d'etre. (Did you see how french I was right then? Score!) So you do more than 2 hours of yoga or stretching a week?
I'm mad today b/c it's foggy and I was going to do the hill. Maybe it'll burn off later in the day.
I told everyone about coconuts and coconut oil, right?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This question is for Amber:

Can you please tell us about the coconuts and the coconut oil?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
This question is for Amber:

Can you please tell us about the coconuts and the coconut oil?
Besides numerous other benefits (antimicrobial, antiviral, antiaging, anticancer, anti heart disease), it helps you lose weight. If you type Coconut Oil into Google, many articles come up, you could peruse those as well. It is very interesting indeed. And especially how other food oil companies ran smear campaigns against coconut oil - which is very clearly the most beneficial oil you can use for cooking/baking/eating/skin.
Here is one.
http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nut...oconut_oil.htm

Old 04-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm going to have to look into coconut oil because that sounds great. I am working today though, OT for extra Kenya money!

Quote:
Good job, Suze! I'm not afraid, I take it all the time, that's what I'm afraid of - and have been for months now. I've also had a vicoden prescrip for the past couple months.
Do I really strike you as the kind of person who would take pain rather than take medicine???
It's not weird to want to go, I love to exercise. It's long been my raison d'etre. (Did you see how french I was right then? Score!) So you do more than 2 hours of yoga or stretching a week?
I'm mad today b/c it's foggy and I was going to do the hill. Maybe it'll burn off later in the day.
I told everyone about coconuts and coconut oil, right?
I just know sometimes people just think its for headaches and don't take it for muscle or other kinds of aches. I should've known that wasn't the case with you. It really sucks you're having that kind of pain!

I don't do more than 2 hours of stretching a week, no. But I stretch after I workout. My current gym does not offer yoga right now but I hope they add it.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
I'm going to have to look into coconut oil because that sounds great. I am working today though, OT for extra Kenya money!

I just know sometimes people just think its for headaches and don't take it for muscle or other kinds of aches. I should've known that wasn't the case with you. It really sucks you're having that kind of pain!

I don't do more than 2 hours of stretching a week, no. But I stretch after I workout. My current gym does not offer yoga right now but I hope they add it.
Wow, that is odd. I've never heard of a gym without yoga.
But I just do tapes at home, myself. You know, when I do them? I went to classes first, though, it is kind of important to have someone teach you the proper way to hold poses and breathe - it is easy to do poses improperly, and it cuts many of the benefits when you do.
For instance, one hard thing in yoga is to think of the pose not as a goal, but a journey. The important thing is to breathe into your body, not strain your body to reach an end result that you think the pose should be. Keep aligned and breathe.
That's kind of a hard lesson, for me and others - because of course it's just nature to want to "get the pose right". But really you have to "keep your body breathing and balanced".
oops, guess I went on and on again. I should do some yoga right now, especially as I'm listening to the Tango record, and You and I Part Barf just came on.
Blergh. C'mon, Lindsey!
Yeah, Coconut oil is the shizz. If you read more about it, you'll probably get really excited about it and be astonished like I am.
I can't believe you're going to Kenya. So awesome.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
especially as I'm listening to the Tango record, and You and I Part Barf just came on.
Blergh. C'mon, Lindsey!
As opposed to part vomit?

You, you, you, you, you, and I are listening to the same album!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As opposed to part vomit?

You, you, you, you, you, and I are listening to the same album!
Isn't that weird?

Old 04-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, Coconut oil is the shizz. If you read more about it, you'll probably get really excited about it and be astonished like I am.
I can't believe you're going to Kenya. So awesome.

Be careful not to eat too much coconut. They say if you are stranded on a desert island, eating too much coconut milk and meat (thereby oils) leads to violent diarrhea and dehydration. This has been - Dumb trivia you don't really need.

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker007nmss
Be careful not to eat too much coconut. They say if you are stranded on a desert island, eating too much coconut milk and meat (thereby oils) leads to violent diarrhea and dehydration. This has been - Dumb trivia you don't really need.

No, that's great. I don't eat nearly that much. I finished a coconut a few days ago, and want to get another today. I used a little oil to cook some chicken.
It's fine.
Great, now I'll totally remember that, because I like stupid trivia, too! *shakes fist*.

I just want to take this opportunity to say that Nightbird on vinyl almost creeps me out. Or...something...not really scary creepy, but I guess it's just darker tinged. The dichotomy between the vocal, which sounds more major to me, and the music that sounds a bit more minor - and the swirling, dipping harmonies - I almost felt like it would be played in some movie when the girl is really happy but is just stepping into the forest of sadness, and is becoming aware of the change in the tone of her surroundings...like she went down the wrong trail...there is also something a little overwhelming about it. It's sooo lush.
But that same quality in the vinyl makes Stand Back spectacular. Stand Back is more consistent within itself, it's all dark tinged. But in a more mechanical way.

Last edited by amber; 04-29-2006 at 04:23 PM..
Old 04-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker007nmss
It didn't seem to bother Tom Hanks...
Old 04-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the supermarket, how can you tell when a coconut is good or bad? The last few I've tried to pick up, it seems the milk is sour.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In the supermarket, how can you tell when a coconut is good or bad? The last few I've tried to pick up, it seems the milk is sour.
I guess you can't. I looked online to see what the meat should look/smell like when you open it up. Also, I pour all the liquid in the coconut down the drain.
Maybe check online again, there might be something. I've eaten about 4, and so far so good.