User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Razor by Blue October? I think. Or are you talking about Celebrity Skin by Hole? (Patrice's song)
yeah, the Blue October song. I must get it.

I didn't like Patrice's performance of Celebrity Skin.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Blue October's other big hit is "Hate Me."

Supernova song - definitely had pre-recorded bits to it. I kept looking for the tambourine player. I heard it, but didn't see anyone playing one.

Patrice was good, Magni was good and Zayra was good, in her own weird way. I know Gilby is a big Patrice fan (they interviewed him on a local radio station). But as much as I love her own music, I don't think she's right for Supernova. But Dilana is!

I don't get why the bottom 3 contestants keep picking songs that others have already done? There are SO many songs out there! I wonder if Patrice's ballad was going to be "Joey," by Concrete Blonde? (Dig back thru this thread for the youtube link I posted - she's great on it!).
Old 08-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden braid View Post
I didn't think the new song was anything special. It seemed to have a good beat but I thought the band wanted to have a new, different sound and I wasn't hearing that. I also really hated the dancers. After Gilby talked about how he didn't like Jill bumping and grinding him, the band has girls come on stage and dance.

I'm glad Zayra is gone. Patrice should be next although tonight's performance was one of her best.
ITA. The dancers were gross. They're trying to be a modern hard R&R band, but they're singing about chicks? Yeah, that hasn't been done 1000 before. Boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachwood Mac View Post
Exactly. I realize it's part of the rock genre, but I couldn't help feeling it would almost be an insult to a female lead singer. It's more suited to those who can't sing or perform and need it as a distraction. Tonight it distracted from Dilana's performance and wasn't needed.

You got that right. If they're trying to be a current, cool, rock band, cut the crap. You don't need the bells & whistles, you all did that back in the day (well, except for Jason - Metallica NEVER would have had chicks dancing around on stage with them.)

Oh, and BTFLCHLD - I think something was up with the performance too. It seemed odd, and parts sounded prerecorded to me.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden braid View Post
IAfter Gilby talked about how he didn't like Jill bumping and grinding him, the band has girls come on stage and dance.
Yes, preach it. What a hypocrite. Dilana looked stupid being surrounded by gyrating go-go girls and I think she was embarrassed. The song sucked and did nothing to accentuate her voice. I'm starting to hope she either doesn't win or, if she does win, tells them no thanks.

As for sending Zayra home, once again I scratch my head at their decision-making. They repeat constantly that they want the contestants to shake it up, show something new, etc. Zayra sings an original song -- in Spanish -- and then takes another big risk by singing an unknown song, and goes home. Patrice trots out yet another Hole song (at least it wasn't Nirvana) and Magni does one that Lukas already nailed the week before and they stay. The time to have sent Zayra was when she was rude and made bad song decisions.

This band doesn't have a clue what they want and I think the loss of brain cells is hampering them. Never thought I'd say this, but I think Navarro should make the decision.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
I If they're trying to be a current, cool, rock band
Tommy Lee is permanently stuck in the 80's.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt View Post
Navarro should make the decision.
That comment is not sauteed in wrong sauce.

Any one else loving the tommyisms?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post

Not really, but the sauteeing in wrong sauce comment was definitely funny.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OH! I forgot to add - I agree that Storm needs to cut the theatrics. Her "WHAT?!?!" paired with the wide-eyed look of fake shock week after week is really starting to piss me off. Plus, she does it for everybody, even if they did suck & deserve to be in the bottom 3.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Supernova File Injunction Against Tommy Lee's Rock Star: Supernova

MTV News (www.mtv.com) has issued the following report from Chris Harris:

The members of Orange County, California, punk trio SUPERNOVA filed for a preliminary injunction Friday (August 11th) in San Diego's U.S. District Court against CBS Broadcasting, Mark Burnett Productions and Tommy Lee, Jason Newsted and Gilby Clarke - the three future members of the band searching for a lead singer on the show Rock Star: SUPERNOVA - which seeks to halt the act from performing or recording under the name "Supernova" if they fail to change or add any words to the moniker.

The filing follows a suit the original Supernova - bassist Art Mitchell, drummer Dave Collins and guitarist Jodey Lawrence - filed against the show's producers in late June, which alleged trademark infringement. That suit seeks a jury trial, as well as the destruction of all "labels, signs, prints, packages, wrappers, containers, advertisements, electronic media and other materials bearing the Supernova mark."

The original Supernova, who first formed in 1989 and have released four studio albums, claim that the suit's defendants intend to illegally use the Supernova name (which they say is taken) and trademark it. The group contacted the show's producers upon learning of the proposed name for the reality-television series, and the two sides have been in negotiations since before the June lawsuit's filing. With those negotiations at a standstill, the band decided to take additional legal action to protect its moniker.

"Our client has taken legal action in order to preserve its rights to the name the band has worked so long and hard to establish," said Supernova's attorney, John Mizhir Jr. "We tried to settle the matter quickly and fairly, but after lengthy negotiations with CBS, Mark Burnett Productions and others, they left us with no options but to seek the preliminary injunction."

The lawsuit claims that Rock Star producers willingly ignored the fact that the Supernova name was and still is in use, and therefore unavailable. The suit also alleges that "individuals within defendants' own organizations informed defendants of plaintiff's rights in the Supernova mark" and that illegal use of the Supernova name will cut into the original Supernova's future income by interfering "with plaintiff's business relationships" or causing them to lose merchandising deals and offers to perform.

A hearing on the matter should be scheduled within the next 28 days; Rock Star: Supernova is scheduled to air through September 27th. If a judge rules in the band's favor, the producers may have to come up with a different name for the show's in-the-making rock outfit.

Calls to CBS for comment had not been returned at press time.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^The ratings just went through the roof for that show. Perfect timing.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic View Post
^^The ratings just went through the roof for that show. Perfect timing.
seems kinda 'perfect timing' to me too...But I dont really care that much since Gilby has stated that after the album's release in November there will not be any more activity for Supernova (ie-No tour, no followup allbum) due to the members outside commitments.

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post

He is pretty funny. His book was entertaining.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
seems kinda 'perfect timing' to me too...But I dont really care that much since Gilby has stated that after the album's release in November there will not be any more activity for Supernova (ie-No tour, no followup allbum) due to the members outside commitments.
Seriously? What the hell is the point of all this then? "YAY! You win! Now sing on the record, play one show with us NYE & buh-bye!" That blows. I almost wish Dilana doesn't win now, she's had plenty of exposure & people seem to love her, she may be better off solo.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
He is pretty funny. His book was entertaining.
You mean I am not the only one who loved it?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation According to an...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Seriously? What the hell is the point of all this then? "YAY! You win! Now sing on the record, play one show with us NYE & buh-bye!" That blows. I almost wish Dilana doesn't win now, she's had plenty of exposure & people seem to love her, she may be better off solo.
interview posted on metalsludge.tv a few weeks back, Gilby said he wasnt really interested at first til CBS/Mark Burnett Productions showed him the $$$. He said while he is very good friends with Jason & Tommy, He has prior commitments in Europe and very much doubts that Supernova would continue past the album (Which is nearly completed-Minus the vocals).

One thing I always liked about Gilby, at least he is honest in saying that when the $$$ talked the BS walked.