The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which album is your favorite?
Under the skin 7 25.00%
Gift of screws 21 75.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question GOS or UTS?

I have not bought any of the last LB solo albums, I'm not a big fan of his solo works, except for OOTC, his best work!

But which one of the last two would you recomend? For those who already own both, which one is your favorite or think is better, and why?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's the thing: they are both spectacular. Under the Skin is a really beautiful album. The songwriting on there, to me, is simply breathtaking. I love Castaway Dreams, Shut Us Down, It Was You, SGTCYM, Down on Rodeo, Show You How, etc. but it's pretty different from Gift of Screws. The latter is more in the vein of something Lindsey would do now that could be comparable to Out of the Cradle, which was 16 years ago. Obviously "Cradle" has a better flow, but individually the songs on GOS are absolutely incredible. Sure, there's going to be ones you love more than others, but I don't think there is a clinker on this record at all.

Plus there's more guitar, it's quicker-paced, and you can JOG to it (yay! All reasons why Nico would put it on her gym playlist). If I were you, I'd buy GOS first. Then in late fall/winter get UTS and you can probably appreciate the slowness a lot more with the change of season.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

MAybe this poll was posted too early. Now that GOS is 10 days old, more people can share their opinion..
Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gift of Screws for me. I love UTS and there are some excellent songs on there, such as Down On Rodeo (one of my favourite songs). It's way more personal and less immediate than GOS but very rewarding to repeated listens.

I think GOS is going to become my favourite of his solo albums and I hope I'm right. I can listen to this album on repeat all day and not get bored of it because it's short enough that you can't lose interest half way through and it's works well as an album rather than just a set of songs (as does UTS). Also, the pacing is great because just when you get to Underground you could do with something a bit more mellow and then there it is. Maybe not quite as coherant as OOTC but it's pretty close. For me, GOS has no bad songs.

If you had to get just one I'd say GOS and then maybe work back to UTS. UTS is similar in vibe to a few things on GOS so if you like songs like Treason and Underground you'll probably like a lot of UTS as well.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have tried, tried and tried to get into GOS, But for some reason I just dont get the same feeling as I do for UTS (Not that the album is bad, it just doesnt rub me the same way)