Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rolling Stone: LB's Return to Rock

[So, this is the first time that I heard from him that Sheryl might have done Chris' stuff, as Stevie mentioned]

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...return_to_rock

Lindsey Buckingham's Return to Rock
Fleetwood Mac leader crafts upbeat new disc, preps tour with the band

AUSTIN SCAGGSPosted Oct 02, 2008 9:52 AM

In 2001, Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham had the intention of recording a solo album, but then his band showed up. "They said, 'Let's do a studio album!'" says Buckingham. "So the bulk of that material was folded into [2003's] Say You Will." Three years later, Buckingham finally struck out on his own with Under the Skin, a moody collection that highlights his virtuosic fingerpicking. On September 16th, Buckingham released a far more rocking sequel: Gift of Screws, named after an Emily Dickinson poem, is a wide-ranging collection of 10 songs he's written over the past decade. "I told the band that I wanted to be left alone for three years," he says, "so I could follow through with my plan: to put out two albums and to tour behind them."

The past 10 years have been particularly joyful for Buckingham. "There was a period where I was leading a fairly narrow life, focused exclusively on music," he says. "The past decade has been a revelation to me. Meeting my wife and having three beautiful children has infused another level of enthusiasm and optimism. You can get a sense of that in the new work." While the new disc displays the intensity that marks much of his solo work, there are moments of uncomplicated joy, such as the buoyant opener, "Great Day." And when John McVie and Mick Fleetwood join in on the galloping "Wait for You" and "The Right Place to Fade," you'll be transported to Fleetwood Mac's heyday.

After touring to support Screws through October, Buckingham will reunite with his bandmates again next spring for a tour. In March, Sheryl Crow announced plans to collaborate with the band, but Buckingham says the idea never moved beyond a casual conversation. "If you're bringing someone in just to do Christine McVie's stuff," he adds, "doesn't that sort of degrade it into kind of a lounge act?"
Old 09-24-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
"If you're bringing someone in just to do Christine McVie's stuff," he adds, "doesn't that sort of degrade it into kind of a lounge act?"
YES .
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Ah, yes. I read that in my Rolling Stone magazine Monday when it came in the mail. Great read!

If you take a look beside it, there is a little paragraph about a "Concert For Change" happening with performances by the Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers. PSU is like a half hour away from me and I am desperately trying to find a ticket. There was next to no advertising of this event (it was confirmed less than 24 hours before tickets went on sale) and the tickets sold out in less than an hour.

I'm trying to find a way in...even if I have to "volunteer." Anyone have any ideas?

I'm a writer going to school for music journalism and this concert is like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! I'm so excited!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaywomen View Post
Ah, yes. I read that in my Rolling Stone magazine Monday when it came in the mail. Great read!

If you take a look beside it, there is a little paragraph about a "Concert For Change" happening with performances by the Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers. PSU is like a half hour away from me and I am desperately trying to find a ticket. There was next to no advertising of this event (it was confirmed less than 24 hours before tickets went on sale) and the tickets sold out in less than an hour.

I'm trying to find a way in...even if I have to "volunteer." Anyone have any ideas?

I'm a writer going to school for music journalism and this concert is like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! I'm so excited!
Down at the Pike Place market, there are a ton of people putting on concerts for change. In fact, they leave open their instrument cases so you can toss in your change.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
YES .
And isn't it GREAT that he personally saved them (and us) from such a selfdestructing move?