Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

More on ticket prices:
http://www.the33tv.com/pages/landing...360&feedID=460

Concert Tickets
Aaron Smith, The 33 News

April 2, 2009

If you've been to a concert lately then you may have noticed that tickets are getting more expensive and harder to purchase in person these days. The industry is being dominated by brokers on the internet.

When Brittany Spears dallas show sold out in hours, you could still get tickets online. And as box office tickets to Fleetwood Mac's Dallas date continue to dwindle, private brokers are still going strong.

Metrotickets is one of five private brokers in Dallas. Owner David Christopherson sells the best seats at concerts and sporting events rubbing shoulders with Jamie Foxx, and Gwen Stefani. he says buyers at the box office don't stand a chance anymore. He says, " We've had them for years and years and years and the seats that we have as a result are better than you'd probably be able to get."

Brokers like him usually get premium tickets from season passes on all events at all venues every year. they get them before you ever have a chance too and they sell them at higher rates.

Christopherson says, " Its just like a car or anything else, anything that's for sale, you can sell it for whatever your price is."

Sometimes the prices are actually cheaper than the box office. Giovanni Zavala bought his Mav's tickets online.
He says, " Today I got twenty dollars less than what actual face value was worth."

Owners here at Metro tickets admit there are times when their tickets have additional fees, but they say in general concert tickets and sporting events have gotten more expensive.

Still brokers are legal according to Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott. The agency also keeps a close eye on them. But, as long as they don't scalp tickets or try to sell them on someone else's property, it may be unfair, but not illegal.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from interview with Bat for Lashes about new single "Daniel"

Digital Spy, 4-6-2009

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/a151...or-lashes.html

It's been compared quite a bit to '80s Fleetwood Mac. Do you hear that?

"Well, I wasn't aware of that when I was making it, but in hindsight it makes sense. I think some of the sounds I choose and the way I feel when I sing a song often harks back to my childhood. 'Daniel' is a nostalgic song about my teenage years and I was brought up on a lot of Fleetwood Mac - my mum and I used to sing 'Gypsy' and 'Rhiannon' in the car! I think without even realising it I drew on those influences, but it certainly wasn't conscious."
Old 04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
My would-be lover has been selected to join the cast of Saturday Night Live. I am in the back row of the theater where she and the rest of the cast are rehearsing for the upcoming show. In one skit, my would-be lover is supposed to play the role of one of the women from Fleetwood Mac. However, nobody can remember the musician's name. I tell some of the stage hands that I can look it up on Google. I do a Wikipedia search for Fleetwood Mac but only come up with long lists of musicians who have appeared with the band at some point during their careers. I never find the name of the right musician. (Author's Note: After waking up from the dream, I realized the name I was looking for was Christine McVie, and I found this out by doing an actual search on Wikipedia.)

http://strategicfailure.blogspot.com...n-theater.html

Does anyone else read these nuggetts besides Michele and I???
I'm reading these waifs of Mac mentions with ravenous interest, as I just discovered this thread since it was bumped to the top of the board. This is riveting, fascinating stuff. Thanks to all for sharing these scrumptious morsels.

-Matt
Old 04-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read everything Michele posts (except Stickies). I like these little Macnuggets. They're like the Random Notes in Rolling Stone, or Patrick Goldstein's "Pop Eye" column in the Los Angeles Times. That's where many of us old farts learned the most about Fleetwood Mac over the years!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In this piece, on the Michigan ABC website, favorite concerts are remembered, by James R. Chesna, April 14, 2009:

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?se...ent&id=6758597

Fleetwood Mac, 1997, The Palace of Auburn Hills: I wasn't the biggest fan of Fleetwood Mac until I saw "The Dance," their terrific TV reunion concert. That made me appreciate them a lot more, perhaps because the time spent apart during the group's messy breakup really saw them grow as people and musicians. Lindsey Buckingham's guitar work is stellar, and the voices of Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie are like fine wine. "Bleed to Love Her" is one of the prettiest love songs ever written, and who could forget Gold Dust Woman Nicks' "Silver Springs"? The Palace show proved just as good.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ohio article about how downtown events give the businesses a shot in the arm:

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/loc...z.html?sid=102

The wait for a table at Boston's tripled Saturday night when Fleetwood Mac performed at Nationwide Arena.

"A normal wait for a Saturday evening is about an hour," said Boston's supervisor April Norris. "(Saturday) we were on a solid wait for three-and-half to four hours."
Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This psychic, Elsa Panizzon. has a blog on which she dispenses astrological advice and talks about the book she wrote, Heaven, I Mean Circle K.

http://www.elsaelsa.com/archives/tag/sex/

Now the soldier read my book which is about my life or at least part of it and the book ends at a Fleetwood Mac concert. I didn’t intend it to end there… it was HQ’s genius that ended the book there but in whatever case, I would describe this day as significant in my life. And I wrote the truth of that day as I understood it but then the soldier read it.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Back In The Day With Fleetwood Mac

Caliente

Back in the day with Fleetwood Mac
By Kevin W. Smith

By Kevin W. Smith
KSMITH@AZSTARNET.COM
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 04.23.2009

The last concert held at Arizona Stadium was headlined by Fleetwood Mac, which was touring behind the release of a little-known gem called "Rumours."

Described as the hottest band in the country at the time, Fleetwood Mac shared the stage with superstar artists Kenny Loggins and the Marshall Tucker Band, along with local band Arizona.

An estimated 67,000 people jammed the football field and nearly filled the stands that hot Saturday night on Aug. 27, 1977, to make for the largest crowd of rock fans Arizona had ever seen.

Tickets were $8 to $10, and the show grossed some $430,000. The Arizona division of the American Heart Association was the major beneficiary.

Still, authorities estimated hundreds of people got in free in the crush that ensued once the gates opened. The surging crowd knocked a deputy down a flight of stairs, and a 16-year-old girl was trampled and suffered an injured elbow.

Fans had started camping outside the stadium at 6 p.m. the night before, 23 hours before the music was scheduled to begin.

The concert ended about 11:30 p.m. after more than six hours of music. Fleetwood Mac played for more than two hours, and an Arizona Daily Star reviewer said Stevie Nicks' vocals and the guitar of Lindsey Buckingham stole the show.

Large clouds of marijuana smoke hovered above the crowd, along with sporadic flares and firecrackers.

Overall, authorities called the concert a peaceful event and nowhere near the mayhem they had prepared for.

Afterward, Chuck Raetzman, UA's superintendent of grounds, labor, maintenance and transportation at the time, was quoted as saying the field suffered no severe damage.

He added that if any part of the field was still faded by the time the Wildcats' televised home-opener rolled around, it would be painted green for television. The center of the field reportedly suffered the most damage from "compaction."

Concern over Arizona Stadium's field was one of the main reasons ASUA moved the stage to the sidelines, off the playing field, for Wednesday's performance.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[I'm not sure because I couldn't find a date, but I think the Meloy interview is this Friday]

http://texasmusicmatters.kut.org/

Texas Music Matters

On The Big Broadcast: ACL ‘09 Preview

On the next edition of Texas Music Matters, we turn a spotlight on one of the big stories of the week: the lineup for the 2009 Austin City Limits Music Festival. The Decemberists will be coming to ACL, and frontman Colin Meloy will tell us about a Fleetwood Mac album that changed his life. Also, a conversation with Randy Reynolds of Austin’s own Leatherbag about the pluses—and minuses—of playing such an enormous event. We’ll also have analysis by leading music journalists from Pollstar and the Austin American-Statesman. Friday at noon on KUT 90.5
Old 04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk is the album that changed his life. I was using his quote as my signature on another msg. board for awhile...

Leatherbag - great local band.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Loved this aside in a Texas Observer article about learning to take up less space]

http://www.texasobserver.org/article.php?aid=3036

More space is about the cheapest thing a homebuyer can buy.

Why wouldn’t they? Nobody outside of Fleetwood Mac ever chose to sleep five to a bed. We prefer a certain distance. We like to have our space. Taking it up is one of the things we do best.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[This is from an interview with the Oregon band called Hockey]

http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/hoc...uary-24th-2009

Sounds like you guys have one of the best fed tour buses out there. Other than food are there any influences you have that would surprise your fans?

Ben: Fleetwood Mac!!

Wow. Immediate Response!

Ben: Love them! The first pop song I ever remember hearing was when I was two years old they had Rumours on tape and I was totally captivated by "Dreams". I didn't even really know what music was but there was something in that song that absolutely enchanted me. I just wanted to hear it over and over and over. Stevie Nicks' voice kinds of floats in over that really mean but understated bass and drum groove.

Anthony: Fleetwood's a huge drum and bass inspiration.

Ben: Very simple straightforward rhythm and blues, its not flashy its not busy, it is just tight and direct and supports the entire song.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This was a bit about David Cook's return to the stage after Adam's death. Don't know who Adam is, but . . .

http://www.people.com/people/article...277964,00.html

At other points, Cook was cheerful, teasing fans and calling himself, "Old Dave" as he chewed gum. But when he covered Fleetwood Mac's "Tell Me Lies," he became emotional at the line, "If I could turn the page."

Then he abruptly left the stage while singing "Come Back to Me," and his band followed. The crowd chanted for his return as he stood in a hallway with his hand to his face, talking to his fellow band members.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[I'm not sure because I couldn't find a date, but I think the Meloy interview is this Friday]The Decemberists will be coming to ACL, and frontman Colin Meloy will tell us about a Fleetwood Mac album that changed his life.
http://www.westword.com/2008-04-24/m...oy-sings-live/

here's the -in my view- AWESOME quote:
Quote:
He also works in sections of cover ditties, including "Dreams," by Fleetwood Mac. "I'm a staunch defender of all things Fleetwood Mac," he declares. "I count Tusk as being one of the records that changed my life, along with Zen Arcade," by Hüsker Dü.
at last there are more and more great contemporary musicians who I respect that hear the same indie-quality I have always heard in TUSK. Yes, I'm one of the Fleetwood Mac Fans that loved bands like Hüsker Dü and Nova Mob from the beginning, all BECAUSE of Tusk.

Thanks for that blurb. These nuggets are really nice.

Last edited by shackin'up; 05-10-2009 at 02:48 PM..
Old 05-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[This columnist from Wales Online talks about his love of music developed from childhood. Of course, his teachers first tried to get him to appreciate classical music, but that didn't catch his youthful ear as much as rock did. Here's an excerpt from the article

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz...1466-23646526/

How my musical education began at an early age
May 18 2009 by Steve Groves, Western Mail

And then I saw Peter Green playing Oh Well with Fleetwood Mac and everything changed. I’m far – very far; very, very far – from being a musician myself, yet I found something which has been a cornerstone ever since.