User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodmod View Post
Not available on the UK iTunes store, is it available anywhere other then the US store?
That figures! I was just about to go look.
Oh well I guess it's not too long until the album comes out now.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Friggin' Good news. I was afraid DOR was the first single, and he'd been influenced by the "safest thing first virus". BUT this is an oldfashioned tricky earpiercing choice of an artist that keeps on going and will last forever as the artist he wants to be.

Frig, am I excited about this. Not because it's the best song, but because he proves that he will not EVER bow for commercial choices as long that he is his own boss. Way to go old weirdo. I love you.

I totally agree! This way, his music will be released and listened to by the smallest audience possible. If DOR was released as the first single, then too many people may have heard it, liked it, bought the CD and would have actually listened to the entire album and appreciated all of his work on UTS. But this way the single and album will most likely fizzle out in a few months with little or no fanfare. Yeah!!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I totally agree! This way, his music will be released and listened to by the smallest audience possible. If DOR was released as the first single, then too many people may have heard it, liked it, bought the CD and would have actually listened to the entire album and appreciated all of his work on UTS. But this way the single and album will most likely fizzle out in a few months with little or no fanfare. Yeah!!
Have you not been paying attention while watching the DR doc? It's all about the art, dude.

I heard Lindsey bought a two-bedroom apartment, btw.

Last edited by danax6; 09-19-2006 at 06:41 PM..
Old 09-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ooo sarcasm! Nice. Let me try. Yes, you're right, Show You How is sooo uncommercial, nobody will ever, ever like that track. In fact people will hear Show You How and cover their ears screaming "It hurts! It hurts! What is this dreadful unMac-like din?" and deliberately smash the album to save others from hearing it. The album won't just fizzle it will die a grisly death. Whereas DOR as the first single would obvioulsy have brought about world peace and helped Under The Skin be bigger than Thriller. Of course. What a mistake to release Show You How as the first single! It's like Lindsey has turned into Animal Collective or Acid Mothers Temple or something! What the hell is he thinking?

Like Down On Rodeo had a chance in hell of being a hit

Last edited by trackaghost; 09-19-2006 at 07:14 PM..
Old 09-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Yes it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD View Post
Is this available as a single or maybe a promo single?
eBay: LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM - SHOW YOU HOW, DOWN ON RODEO (item 280029500828 end time Sep-23-06 11:30:00 PDT)

http://cgi.ebay.com/LINDSEY-BUCKINGH...QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: I wonder "who" has the current winning bid, the current highest bidder's acct. name seems very familiar to me.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 09-20-2006 at 10:31 AM..
Old 09-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Ooo sarcasm! Nice. Let me try. Yes, you're right, Show You How is sooo uncommercial, nobody will ever, ever like that track. In fact people will hear Show You How and cover their ears screaming "It hurts! It hurts! What is this dreadful unMac-like din?" and deliberately smash the album to save others from hearing it. The album won't just fizzle it will die a grisly death. Whereas DOR as the first single would obvioulsy have brought about world peace and helped Under The Skin be bigger than Thriller. Of course. What a mistake to release Show You How as the first single! It's like Lindsey has turned into Animal Collective or Acid Mothers Temple or something! What the hell is he thinking?

Like Down On Rodeo had a chance in hell of being a hit
You're right that it's highly unlikely "Down On Rodeo" would've been a "hit," but I do have to agree that it would have a better shot at receiving radio airplay than "Show You How" will have.

All arguments about "safe choices" verses "taking chances" aside, if your album doesn't receive exposure then no one's going to know about it. And if they don't know about it, then they can't buy it.

Gotta throw out the bait before you can reel 'em in!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
If DOR was released as the first single, then too many people may have heard it, liked it, bought the CD and would have actually listened to the entire album and appreciated all of his work on UTS.
Why would people who buy it because of a "safe" song be expected to appreciate the rest of the "unsafe" material? Releasing a more artsy single would lead to a much greater percentage of the buyers to appreciate an entire artsy album.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nicki View Post
Why would people who buy it because of a "safe" song be expected to appreciate the rest of the "unsafe" material? Releasing a more artsy single would lead to a much greater percentage of the buyers to appreciate an entire artsy album.
Exactly. If DOR was the first single, he'd interest people that would go "WhatThe FCK" when they listened to the album. I still think that Red Rover would have interested more people than Peacekeeper and SYW did simply because it would have gotten attention due to quirkyness. Nobody of the big audience is waiting for a Fleetwood Mac that sounds like Fleetwood Mac these days. That's history. And Lindsey doesn't take the BIG risk here: He's not bringing out Shut Us Down as a single (which I would have LOVED), but a song that has a hook that spins around in your head AND has an overall different approach than radio is used to.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
You're right that it's highly unlikely "Down On Rodeo" would've been a "hit," but I do have to agree that it would have a better shot at receiving radio airplay than "Show You How" will have.

All arguments about "safe choices" verses "taking chances" aside, if your album doesn't receive exposure then no one's going to know about it. And if they don't know about it, then they can't buy it.

Gotta throw out the bait before you can reel 'em in!
Sorry, I don't think Down On Rodeo is ever gonna get big time radio play, no matter how good it is. Once again this maximum exposure/sales argument doesn't convince me. Lindsey is never going to sell millions again, especially as a solo artist, it's his hardcore fans he needs to appeal to rather than casual listeners.
But to tell the truth I'm more interested in what the actual music will be like, I don't care at all what the first single is or what it sells.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry, I don't think Down On Rodeo is ever gonna get big time radio play, no matter how good it is. Once again this maximum exposure/sales argument doesn't convince me. Lindsey is never going to sell millions again, especially as a solo artist, it's his hardcore fans he needs to appeal to rather than casual listeners.
My comment is being misconstrued... I didn't say that "Down On Rodeo" would get "big time radio play" or that Lindsey is going to sell millions again (wait, did he ever sell millions on his own?). I just tend to think that when DJs across the United States get that promo CD, they're going to opt not to play "Show You How," whereas they would be more inclined to give "Down On Rodeo" a chance.

The thing is, I have no idea what kind of numbers Warner/Reprise might be eyeing for this release. I'm sure it's something far more reasonable than what they expected for 'Say You Will,' but if it doesn't do at least what 'Out Of The Cradle' did (roughly 54,000 copies), then the danger is there that we won't get that electric album Lindsey has been talking about.

That's the only reason I want this album to get as much attention and as broad of an audience as possible.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 09-20-2006 at 01:13 PM..
Old 09-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Nobody of the big audience is waiting for a Fleetwood Mac that sounds like Fleetwood Mac these days. That's history.
I must respectfully disagree -- if it's a "big audience" we're talking about, then the "big audience" apparently wants classic-sounding Fleetwood Mac, as evidenced by 4.4 million sales for 'The Dance' and 853,000 for 'Say You Will.'
Old 09-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My comment is being misconstrued... I didn't say that "Down On Rodeo" would get "big time radio play" or that Lindsey is going to sell millions again (wait, did he ever sell millions on his own?). I just tend to think that when DJs across the United States get that promo CD, they're going to opt not to play "Show You How," whereas they would be more inclined to give "Down On Rodeo" a chance.

The thing is, I have no idea what kind of numbers Warner/Reprise might be eyeing for this release. I'm sure it's something far more reasonable than what they expected for 'Say You Will,' but if it doesn't do at least what 'Out Of The Cradle' did (roughly 54,000 copies), then the danger is there that we won't get that electric album Lindsey has been talking about.

That's the only reason I want this album to get as much attention and as broad of an audience as possible.
I know you didn't, I'm just enjoying arguing with you!
Warner knows how well Lindsey's last solo efforts sold and I'm pretty sure it has a fair idea how Under The Skin will sell too. I don't think Warner would be announcing this proposed second album in all the press pieces I've read so far if the second album was dependent on the success of the first. I think it is expecting similar numbers to OOTC and I'm pretty sure it will do that with or without radio support.
Also what's so uncommercial about Show You How anyway? There's a good chance it will perform okay, why are we dismissing it? I was just bummed at Bandon's suggestion that releasing that as the first single over DOR would effectively kill the album before it even had a chance!

Last edited by trackaghost; 09-20-2006 at 02:08 PM..
Old 09-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I must respectfully disagree -- if it's a "big audience" we're talking about, then the "big audience" apparently wants classic-sounding Fleetwood Mac, as evidenced by 4.4 million sales for 'The Dance' and 853,000 for 'Say You Will.'
I said "These days" dude. don't dig up **** from ten years ago. That was a brilliant nostalgia-tour that underlined what I mean.

And SYW sold relatively poor. Because that was a new mac. That didnot sound as the old one: exept for those two singles. If EFO, Miranda, Red Rover and Illume were singles from that album they would have gained NEW interest. That´s what I´m saying.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I know you didn't, I'm just enjoying arguing with you!
It's fun to have NEW Lindsey songs and topics to debate and discuss, isn't it? At least it is for me.
I hope Gerald realizes that's the intention behind my dialogue with him, too.

Quote:
I don't think Warner would be announcing this proposed second album in all the press pieces I've read so far if the second album was dependent on the success of the first.
Well, I certainly hope that's true. I guess I'm still a little wary since so much was made out of 'Gift of Screws' in all the Warner-generated press during 'The Dance' and directly after... and we all know what happened with that.

Quote:
Also what's so uncommercial about Show You How anyway? There's a good chance it will perform okay, why are we dismissing it? I was just bummed at Bandon's suggestion that releasing that as the first single over DOR would effectively kill the album before it even had a chance!
I don't know where Bandon's from (I'm guessing the US), but I know that there isn't a radio station anywhere around me that I can imagine playing "Show You How." I can think of several that would spin "Down On Rodeo" though.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I said "These days" dude. don't dig up **** from ten years ago. That was a brilliant nostalgia-tour that underlined what I mean.

And SYW sold relatively poor. Because that was a new mac. That didnot sound as the old one: exept for those two singles. If EFO, Miranda, Red Rover and Illume were singles from that album they would have gained NEW interest. That´s what I´m saying.
Now I'm the one who doesn't understand what you're saying.
First you said that the "big audience" doesn't want the classic Fleetwood Mac sound, and then you said that 'SYW' sold relatively poorly because the "new Mac" didn't sound like the old one.