Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Little Lies- Chris VS Lindsey?

There was rumour/quote surrouding the subject matter of Little Lies.Apparently Christine wrote the song about Lindsey.If this is true,it seems odd considering as many see TITN as the fruit of a Lindsey/Chris collaboration.Surely things only got really bad post-TITN?
Anyone know anything to confirm or deny this?
Old 05-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a quote from Christine about Little Lies

Up Close - 1987
(Is "Little Lies" a love song?)"That's kind of one of my disguised alternative love songs. Its kind of a message to a member of the band that is no longer with us because I think at the time we sensed that Lindsey would be leaving. I think that the subliminal thing in there was sort of a written about him, to him, from the rest of us. But then again it is under the guise of a love song. It could be either or. But I think that is where the inspiration for the words came from."

Rock Lives-1991
(about Little Lies)"The idea of the lyric is, 'If I had the chance, I'd do it differently next time. But since I can't, just carry on lying to me and I'll believe..even though I know you're lying."

BAM Magazine-October 23, 1987
"I have nothing but respect for Lindsey and what he is doing. He was never less than honest with us. And after 12 years in the band, it must have been something of a wrench for him to leave. But if someone is not happy, then nobody is happy. I think his decision was best for everyone who is concerned."

I don't think Chris ever had super hard feelings towards Lindsey leaving as evidenced by her quote above. I don't think they had a real hard time between themselves during the album recording. I think Lindsey's anger and disappointment at that time in the studio was mostly directed at Stevie .

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 05-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky
Surely things only got really bad post-TITN?
I don't want you to take this the wrong way, Tusky, because this isn't directed at you... but I'm totally baffled as to why some fans feel there is some kind of bad blood between Lindsey & Christine.

They've always maintained that, while they get along quite well, they've never been "best friends," and they have often said that best part of their relationship has always been that they've shared a very unique and fulfilling musical collaboration.

I don't think I've ever heard either speak negatively of the other.
And I don't believe that Lindsey's outlook regarding Christine's absence from 'Say You Will' (in regards to the fact that he has said that he looked at it as a positive challenge, as opposed to a negative) stems from any kind of ill will towards Christine.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 05-08-2004 at 06:38 PM..
Old 05-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

"...but I'm totally baffled as to why some fans feel there is some kind of bad blood between Lindsey & Christine."

No offense taken C.V!
But that's why I was wondering how a song that could be deemed vitriolic ("Little Lies") was written by Christine about Lindsey.If it was,it seems odd considering their public mutual-music-lovin' relationship.
Also,kind of connected but O.T, I think alot of fans have at least speculated about the relationship between Chris and Lindsey from the recent debate on The Other Board about Bleed To Love Her to the Lindsey SYW comments.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But that's why I was wondering how a song that could be deemed vitriolic ("Little Lies") was written by Christine about Lindsey.
I guess I've never viewed Little Lies as anything approaching vitriolic. From what she's said, I think the song probably is at least a bit about Lindsey, but it always struck me as a fairly gentle song to him, not a swift kick out the door.

Lines like "no more broken hearts..." and "if I could turn the page in time, then I would rearrange just a day or two" always struck me as sad lines where she sort of wistfully longed to go back and redo a couple of things in the band's history that might have changed how some of the rifts had developed. But obviously you can't undo anything. I kind of look at the song more from the point of view that she recognizing with sadness that maybe the only thing that was really going to make things better (because he wasn't very happy in the band), was for him to leave, and sort himself out, and find something that would make him happier. And they would carry on too. I never really thought it was an angry or vindicitive sentiment in the song. Just my .02.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
No offense taken C.V!
Uhm... "C.V."?
Old 05-09-2004, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"...but I'm totally baffled as to why some fans feel there is some kind of bad blood between Lindsey & Christine."
Because some fans are drama queens. I remember when a Stevie website said, and this was prior to the release of "Twister," that Stevie picked Lindsey to produce and sing on "Twisted" as her way of getting back at Mick Fleetwood for "Silver Springs" and for "Time." Not only did Mick play on the song, "The Dance" happened about a year later. So, I guess my point is don't look too much into what people are saying about the relationships of people they've never met. I'd only use the words of the people themselves.

And, for the record, in a 1995 AOL chat, Christine said that she found the current version of Fleetwood Mac (the "Time" band) a bit odd. Then she said that Dave Mason wouldn't have been her first choice, and that she couldn't see what he had to do with Fleetwood Mac (incidentally, I've had it verified that she couldn't stand Dave Mason). Finally, when asked who she would have picked to be the lead guitarist, she said "Lindsey Buckingham."

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 05-09-2004 at 01:10 AM..
Old 05-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Little Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
And, for the record, in a 1995 AOL chat, Christine said that she found the current version of Fleetwood Mac (the "Time" band) a bit odd. Then she said that Dave Mason wouldn't have been her first choice, and that she couldn't see what he had to do with Fleetwood Mac (incidentally, I've had it verified that she couldn't stand Dave Mason). Finally, when asked who she would have picked to be the lead guitarist, she said "Lindsey Buckingham."
I always thought that Time was an odd album. You've only got to look at the credits on Christine's songs Michael Thompson plays guitar on them all. It was fairly obvious that Christine didn't want Dave Mason near any of her stuff. Yet I think her songs are quite strong and in the right hands (Lindsey's) could have been really good.

Gail
Old 05-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I've had it verified that she couldn't stand Dave Mason.
All right, buddy, you've been slyly & cryptically alluding to that for about ten years now on Usenet. Would you mind telling us what you know! Spill!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
All right, buddy, you've been slyly & cryptically alluding to that for about ten years now on Usenet. Would you mind telling us what you know! Spill!
Well, since he's apparently not involved in her career, I guess it's safe to finally say who it was.

John Courage.

I got his number from somebody who frequented the Usenet at the time. There was a lot of bad information about the reunion that was out at the time (specifically that it was going to be a 30th anniversary reunion tour that would also feature Billy, Rick, Bekka, and Bob Welch, with occasional appearences from Peter and Dave Mason). This information was on a website that the webmaster said was going to be the "official" site (Kiln House). Well, I wanted to know if any of it were true or not, and that was the main purpose of the call. He said that it would only be the "Rumours" band, and that there were no immediate plans for an official Fleetwood Mac website.

Anyway, I also asked him about the "Time" album and tours. He said that he walked out half way through the one show he saw, as, to him, it was just a glorified cover band. He said that he expected more out of Mick and John, and Billy for that matter. Then I asked about any tension between Christine and Dave, as it seemed like they didn't have too many positive things to say about one another. John then said that Dave was a "major asshole," and that there was no way in hell Christine would have worked with him.

So, was it worth the near ten year wait? (Probably not.)

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 05-09-2004 at 03:09 PM..
Old 05-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow.
I'm no Dave Mason fan, but I always thought he looked like an asshole in the Time pics.