Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Heroes question?

I've been playing Heroes Are Hard To Find quite a bit a last few days. I noticed in the liner notes, it says that Christine plays keyboards & Arp String Ensemble. Does anyone know what an Arp String Ensemble is? I assume since Christine plays it might be some sort of a keyboard or similar to a keyboard. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, does anyone knows which track or tracks might this be featured on, so I can listen for it?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ARP was one of the two pioneering companies of synthesisers (the other being Moog). The String Ensemble was a specific type of synthesiser that, as its name implied, emulated a string section.

On Heroes..., the best example of the sound of one is on the opening section of "Bermuda Triangle"...first is the congas, the acoustic guitar, then Christine comes in with the ARP SE.

Live, she only played it on "Sunny Side Of Heaven"...when they toured in 1974, the ARP was played by either Bobby Hunt or Doug Graves (there's an ARP SE on top of Graves' Hammond B-3 organ in the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert video from that era)
Old 09-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I hear it now. I can hear it on the Sausalito CD, too. When Bob introduces Bobby Hunt, he mentions that he is playing Hammond, Clavinet & Arp Synthesiser. Thanks for the picture, too.

Unfortunately, I've never heard Sunny Side of Heaven live.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
Unfortunately, I've never heard Sunny Side of Heaven live.
Check around the tape/CD trading sites...they played it quite a few times in 1976 & early 1977.

The concert they filmed at UC Santa Barbara for the Rosebud promo film, they OPENED with it. Later in the tour, it was the final encore song.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought that they played "Sunny Side Of Heaven" live during the Bob Welch years. I didn't know that they played it during the early Buckingham/Nicks years also. Thanks for the tip. I'll start looking.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It is an understatement that it was a surprise to hear at that UCSB show. I'd never heard them play it prior to that. (at that time, I think that was about the 5th or 6th time I'd seen them)

The two times I saw them with Welch, they didn't play it. "Station Man" & "Jewel-Eyed Judy" were the only two Kirwan songs they DID play.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Isn't the ARP string ensemble cool?

It has such a foreboding sound to it. The Solina string ensemble was a cool keyboard too, less foreboding, more "icy" for lack of a better term. I wish Chris had used the mellotron more like she did on "Night Watch" and "The Ghost." I always thought the studio version of Sunny Side would have been that much more enjoyable wrapped in a blanket of gorgeous mellotron strings.

I didnt' know they kept Sunny Side that long either. It would be interesting to hear some shows from the white album and Rumours tours, just to hear how the B/N lineup did those old tunes. I downloaded a version of Lindsey singing "Hypnotised" and it doesn't sound right, but it's still cool to hear.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The PRE-1975 tunes played with Lindsey & Stevie:

From Peter Green:
Oh Well
Green Manalishi
Rattlesnake Shake
(if they were an opening act, they'd play this as the last song of the set. If they were headliners, they'd end with "Blue Letter" and play "Hypnotized" as an encore instead
Jumping At Shadows (well, Duster Bennett actually, but it was a regular part of Fleetwood Mac's set until early 1976...Peter sang it, but after he left, Christine took over on vocals)

From Danny Kirwan:
Station Man
Sunny Side Of Heaven
Tell Me All The Things You Do

*Child Of Mine

From Bob Welch:
Hypnotized
Sentimental Lady

*Angel

Christine still did:
Get Like You Used To Be
Why
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Believe Me
Homeward Bound

*=Unconfirmed, but extremely reliable sources tell me that Stevie sang these in early 1975 at a few shows
Old 09-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I like that Arp synthesiser. I always liked it. I just didn't know that what it was. It's funny, but I remember reading an interview with Christine where she said she didn't like synthesisers. She liked the more "real" keyboards like piano & organ. It sounds like she used synthesisers quite a bit.

I agree about Lindsey doing Hypnotized. I like his version, but I don't think it's nearly as good as the live Bob Welch versions.

Last edited by macfan 57; 09-13-2003 at 06:09 AM..
Old 09-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's an interesting list, ChiliD. I've heard most of those. I'll soon hear Sunny Side of Heaven & Jumping at Shadows, since someone here on the Ledge is helping me out with those two. I know Rick Vito did "Rattlesnake Shake" during the Tango tour, but I had no idea that the Buckingham/Nicks line-up also did it. Same thing with Sentimental Lady and I didn't know Chris did Homeward Bound during this time. It's interesting if Stevie did Child of Mine & Angel. I've never seen any of these songs listed on any bootlegs from this period.

Do you know if they changed their set lists from show to show, unlike now where it's the same thing every night?

Last edited by macfan 57; 09-13-2003 at 06:13 AM..
Old 09-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Yeah, I've often wondered if the mellotron at the end of "Why" may be a reason people love "Why" so much and never really thought about it being the reason they loved it, they just knew it was a sound they liked but never put 2 and 2 together? Just a theory.

Hey, Stevie singing Welch's "Angel", that's cool. Now, if we can just get Welch to do Stevie's "Angel" and so on (as I'm sure we've discussed before, i.e. Welch doing the "Coming home" on "Mr. Wonderful" etc.)...

John
Old 09-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I've often wondered if the mellotron at the end of "Why" may be a reason people love "Why" so much and never really thought about it being the reason they loved it
That's a real string section bud. Throw in your copy of In The Court Of The Crimson King and listen to the title track, then put Why on and you'll see the difference.

The mellotron is a beautiful instrument though and I wish Christine had used it more for chordal stuff like she did on Night Watch.

Quote:
Yeah, I like that Arp synthesiser. I always liked it. I just didn't know that what it was. It's funny, but I remember reading an interview with Christine where she said she didn't like synthesisers. She liked the more "real" keyboards like piano & organ. It sounds like she used synthesisers quite a bit.
Don't get the string ensemble confused with the monophonic Pro Soloist and 2600 Modular models, which are synthesisers that ARP made. Tony Banks used these a lot on the early Genesis stuff. They're more along the lines of a Minimoog than the String Ensemble. The string ensemble you could play like a real keyboard, but the synthesisers are only monophonic (can only play one note at a time) and more for lead lines, synth bass, and sound effects a la Rick Wakeman or Kieth Emerson. I rarely if ever hear Christine play an actual synthesiser on the older recordings. The only times I've ever heard her use one are on Oh Daddy and Crystal, and neither of which are stellar uses of the intrument. There's one way in the background on the end of Over And Over but it's more a one-note texture kind of synth thing. Christine is definately more in her element on acoustic and electric pianos and hammond organ.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was reading this and suddenly got a huge urge to hear this stuff you listed live...do you know of any good sites?

By the way...what was used for the background of "Keep On Going"? And wouldnt that be awesome with a full string ensemble live?

Just my thoughts for the day...Shamus
Old 09-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Keep On Going" actually had a full string section...live people playing violins, violas, cellos, double basses, etc.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's such a cool string arrangement on that song too. Why didn't they ever use strings or horns later on? I thought they sounded cool on that mid-period stuff. I especially love the horns on She's Changing Me. It makes the song THAT much cornier. Good ****.

Quote:
Don Kirshner's Rock Concert video from that era)
Where do I get one of those?