User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
Do you really believe that Stevie 'flew all around the world' trying to become a Heartbreaker? Or is it more likely that is merely a way of her expressing her admiration for the band?
I think I read that on a Petty/Campbell forum somewhere, not from a Mac/Stevie forum.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-30-2021, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
This is torture.

That is all.
Just remember one thing.
Lindsey's departure from Fleetwood Mac made Little Lies a hit and increased album sales
Old 01-30-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Just remember one thing.
Lindsey's departure from Fleetwood Mac made Little Lies a hit and increased album sales
I disagree. It might have put them in the news. But, at the time the video was fantastic and the airplay was everywhere.. Much like Everywhere was Everywhere. Much like Hold Me and Got a Hold On me.
Christine really cranked some mega hits. From SYLM to ALAYF. (Which wasn't as popular because; as bwboy stated, 'There was a huge shift in rock.)'
But she really put out some amazing songs and by the 80's, people took note of her. MTV put Christine's face on National TV as did VH1. Not in the Nicks craze way, but in the , "Wow, that's a beautiful melody, or hook, or funk, etc."

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 01-30-2021 at 04:18 PM..
Old 01-30-2021, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just remember one thing.
Yeah right! I forgot.

That's why Behind The Mask was such a huge success!!!
Old 01-30-2021, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Not in the Nicks craze way, but in the , "Wow, that's a beautiful melody, or hook, or funk, etc."
She really was one of the greatest HOOK writers of all time.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I disagree. It might have put them in the news. But, at the time the video was fantastic and the airplay was everywhere.. Much like Everywhere was Everywhere. Much like Hold Me and Got a Hold On me.
Christine really cranked some mega hits. From SYLM to ALAYF. (Which wasn't as popular because as bwboy said. There was a huge shift in rock. )
But she really put out some amazing songs and by 1987 people took note. Not in the Nicks craze way, but in the , "Wow, that's a beautiful melody, or hook, or funk, etc."
You missed my joke completely.
(Maybe Homer can explain it to you)
Old 01-30-2021, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

If you have any reliable evidence that John listened to the BN album BEFORE those two joined his band, spill it.

You contradict yourself in your fanatical craze to push your own glorified fiction.

The scenario of "You buy one, you get both" -- which you say you accept -- probably came from Lindsey (or, by extension, from Keith).
I'd wager big time that he had NO CLUE who they were.

You do have a way with words, David.

Except they still ended up paying for both. In the end, Lindsey really paid.
----------------------------
I hope everything is okay between us, David. I noticed that you unfriended me on Facebook. I hope I did nothing to offend you. How long have we known each other online? 25 years or so...
Old 01-30-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
You missed my joke completely.
(Maybe Homer can explain it to you)
I didn't. I was just messing with you.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I didn't. I was just messing with you.
Stop Messin' Round
Old 01-30-2021, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stop Messin' Round
I just love early, bluesy sounding Mac..
UK groups copying authentic American blues style...

Last edited by sue; 01-30-2021 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Missed word
Old 01-30-2021, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Between 1971 and 1975, Lindsey and Stevie weren't quite as tied at the hip as you imagine...

So the perfectly plausible scenario is that Lindsey might have decided to take the band's offer to join, even temporarily, just to make some money. You can reject the scenario out of hand, but it's perfectly plausible.
Lindsey was beyond apprehensive about joining Fleetwood Mac and really didn’t want to join the band. Read what Keith Olsen has said. Read what Stevie Nicks has said. Read what Waddy Wachtel has said. Furthermore, Lindsey didn’t enjoy being in the band once he joined. He was moody and could be outright acrimonious towards them. He resented everything he had been working on with Buckingham Nicks getting lost within Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey even had to get a pep talk from Bob Welch of all people when they were making that first album. So, no, I don’t see Lindsey taking their offer on his own.

Quote:
That flies in the face of everything Mick has ever said about hearing all the guitar work on the BN album.
Except, I was talking about Christine’s hypothetical reaction to hearing the album if the band had somehow hired Lindsey without Stevie. Lindsey’s playing was good, but not something that would have caught her attention. Not after having played with Green and Kirwan. However, the harmonies would have caught her attention at some point.

When they went through “Say You Love Me” for the first time, that changed everything for Christine, and even John. They realized they had something special.

Quote:
Well, of course LB, especially at that point, was no Peter Green -- as a guitarist OR a songwriter... When Welch finally split, the band was nothing but a rhythm section and a singer-songwriter who preferred hanging back musically. Fleetwood Mac could have gone no further without hiring someone.
This strengthens the case that they would have added Stevie after becoming aware of what Lindsey was coming from. They needed songwriting. Bob Welch had 2/3 of the last two albums.

Quote:
Green was long gone, as was Kirwan. Welch, Weston, and Walker, and all their respective strengths and weaknesses, were undoubtedly much fresher in the minds of the McVies and Fleetwood.
Peter Green is always fresh in the mind of Mick Fleetwood.

Quote:
Christine has NEVER said that she wanted Buckingham Nicks in the band BECAUSE of their harmonies on the BN album.
And, I never said she did. I was saying that, at some point after Lindsey hypothetically joined without Stevie, Christine would have listened to the album and that the harmonies, not the guitar playing, would have caught her attention. She was a songwriter who heavily used harmonies, so obviously she would have heard the potential.

Quote:
You contradict yourself in your fanatical craze to push your own glorified fiction. The scenario of "You buy one, you get both" -- which you say you accept -- probably came from Lindsey (or, by extension, from Keith).
Not at all. It was just the reality. Have you ever been around a band where one of the guys has a girlfriend with ambitious musical aspirations? In this case, that girlfriend made an album with the band’s new guitarist, there’s a woman in the band he joined, and the two groups were stylistically similar. Do you really believe Stevie wouldn’t have been a factor if Lindsey had joined without her? She would have been hanging around the studio and traveling with them on tour…There was no getting just Lindsey.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-30-2021, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just remember one thing.
Sure. It had nothing to do with it whatsoever. They didn’t play it up at all or make a big deal about it. I’m sure it’s purely coincidental in the video that during the second verse the “close your, close your, close your eyes” is John, Christine, Mick, and Stevie walking through the barn, the “No more broken hearts” is closeup of Lindsey, and the “we’re better off apart, let’s give it a try” was Lindsey walking away. No symbolism in any of that whatsoever.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-30-2021, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's why Behind The Mask was such a huge success!!!
If they had released a new album in 1988-89 that wasn’t complete corporate schlock, with a different producer, at least one passable Stevie Nicks song, and stronger contributions from the new guys, it might have worked. That said, an album by folks in their mid-40s was only going to have so much mainstream appeal.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-30-2021, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That said, an album by folks in their mid-40s was only going to have so much mainstream appeal.
Cough cough Aerosmith.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Cough cough Aerosmith.
Yeah, they weren’t wearing khakis and had Alicia Silverstone in their videos.

THE Stephen Hopkins