User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think Stevie said they were paid $400 per week once they joined. In 1975, $1600 per month was a pretty good salary
Per Dick's book, it was $200/week. I'm 99% certain.

(the book is upstairs in my office - and I'm too lazy to go find it and look it up!)
Old 01-27-2021, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

(the book is upstairs in my office - and I'm too lazy to go find it and look it up!)
yes, pretty sure Stevie has given that same figure before as well...
Old 01-27-2021, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

And, I think it was $200 combined, not each.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-27-2021, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yes, pretty sure Stevie has given that same figure before as well...
My memory is pretty photographic. I'd wager on it. Maybe not wager $200, but I'd wager $20!
Old 01-27-2021, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Man you love to dissect things a million ways.
Bottom line, they needed a guitarist. They wanted Lindsey. They had no idea about Stevie until Mick was told about her.
Bottom line, Lindsey was never asked to join without Stevie. The time between Bob quitting and Mick learning the equation that Lindsey was part of a package deal was pretty short. It’s very likely that within an hour of Bob leaving Mick told Keith to see if he could convince Lindsey AND Stevie to join the band. The second Mick understood the equation, which was during that call, the offer was for both of them. It’s not that they didn’t want Stevie, it’s that they didn’t know about her.

Quote:
He could have jumped without Stevie but he didn't.
Its that simple. End of story.
Except he was never offered the Fleetwood Mac gig without Stevie AND his inclination was to decline the offer. He wouldn’t have jumped without Stevie. Keith and Stevie had to convince him that joining the band was in everyone’s best interest.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-27-2021, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Bottom line, Lindsey was never asked to join without Stevie. The time between Bob quitting and Mick learning the equation that Lindsey was part of a package deal was pretty short. It’s very likely that within an hour of Bob leaving Mick told Keith to see if he could convince Lindsey AND Stevie to join the band. The second Mick understood the equation, which was during that call, the offer was for both of them. It’s not that they didn’t want Stevie, it’s that they didn’t know about her.

Except he was never offered the Fleetwood Mac gig without Stevie AND his inclination was to decline the offer. He wouldn’t have jumped without Stevie. Keith and Stevie had to convince him that joining the band was in everyone’s best interest.
You keep talking in circles. I cant keep up
you see life in only black and white. While they may have gotten drunk over margaritas on new years eve and asked THEM to join, you are brushing off the interest Mick had in Lindsey after Bob left. It was a process that led up to New Years Eve but fairly quick since Bob was still playing with the band in October 1974
Old 01-27-2021, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:

I think you are right. When Stevie said they were paid $400 per week, that definitely implies (together). I interpreted it as separately. I am recalling what Stevie said in interviews. I dont recall if Mick would remember to put in his book but Stevie has told the story a million of times how the Mac rolled up in this big fancy white Cadillac and paid them $400 per week.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I am recalling what Stevie said in interviews. I dont recall if Mick would remember to put in his book but Stevie has told the story a million of times how the Mac rolled up in this big fancy white Cadillac and paid them $400 per week.
You actually put faith in ANYTHING $he says? $he's delusional.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
the interest Mick had in Lindsey after Bob left. It was a process that led up to New Years Eve but fairly quick since Bob was still playing with the band in October 1974
Help me: Before the Mexican restaurant meeting, did Mick call Lindsey and ask "Would you and Stevie like to join Fleetwood Mac?"
Old 01-27-2021, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you see life in only black and white. While they may have gotten drunk over margaritas on new years eve and asked THEM to join, you are brushing off the interest Mick had in Lindsey after Bob left.
The margarita night was later, not NYE, 1974.

On NYE, 1974, Fleetwood Mac had some type of get together/band meeting where Bob snapped at Christine, she told him to eff himself, and he announced he was leaving the band. After that, Mick called Keith Olsen and asked him if he thought Lindsey would join the band, Keith explained the equation, and Mick asked him to convince THEM to join. So, Keith went over to their place and spent all night trying to convince them (Lindsey) to join.

I don’t dispute the initial interest was in Lindsey, but within the span of a short phone call shortly after Bob quit, Stevie was part of the equation. Lindsey was never offered the Fleetwood Mac gig without Stevie. He was never actually in a position where he had to say “I won’t join without Stevie.”

The notion that he wouldn’t have joined without Stevie because he was noble or whatever is laughable. He wouldn’t have joined had Stevie not been there twisting his arm. Lindsey didn’t want to be in Peter Green’s old band. He didn’t want to play the old Fleetwood Mac songs. He had a chip on his shoulder that their music was going to get lost in Fleetwood Mac, that they were going to lose their identities within the band. And, by all accounts, he wasn’t easy to work with in the early years. Lindsey oozed resentment, which is something I doubt he’d disagree with.

Quote:
It was a process that led up to New Years Eve but fairly quick since Bob was still playing with the band in October 1974
Bob was playing with them up until mid-December, close to the time Mick went to Sound City. So Mick had only known of Lindsey for a couple of weeks at most, but wasn’t immediately thinking about augmenting the band with him or anything.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-27-2021, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Help me: Before the Mexican restaurant meeting, did Mick call Lindsey and ask "Would you and Stevie like to join Fleetwood Mac?"
No. He sent Keith Olsen over to convince both them to join.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-27-2021, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
No. He sent Keith Olsen over to convince both them to join.
And then Mick called Lindsey after Keith spoke with Stevie and Lindsey?

Thank you.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And then Mick called Lindsey after Keith spoke with Stevie and Lindsey?
It’s never been mentioned if it did. Other than the day Mick met Lindsey while studio shopping at Sound City, the first contact was the Mexican restaurant night.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-27-2021, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Oh okay. It's interesting, in this new interview Mick says that when he asked Lindsey to join the band, Lindsey made it very clear that if he was to join, that Stevie would be joining too.

Then he goes on about loyalty and mercy.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^Oh okay. It's interesting, in this new interview Mick says that when he asked Lindsey to join the band, Lindsey made it very clear that if he was to join, that Stevie would be joining too.
Ever since 1997, they’ve been fuzzy with their history. They’ve embellished and romanticized some parts of their story while minimizing or flat out ignoring other parts. Mick’s 1990 comments mirror what Keith Olsen said, which leads me to believe that accounting.

THE Stephen Hopkins