User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Is it? Jim Kale, the bassist for The Guess Who, owns the name and goes out on tour with a bunch of guys who weren’t in that band’s classic lineup. Meanwhile, Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman formed their own duo to go out and play the classics because they don’t have the legal right to the name, even though Burton was the lead singer for all of their hits. It would be like Pete Townshend and Roger Daltry not being able to call themselves The Who.

Regardless, Fleetwood Mac was largely on life support after 2004, and became little more than an oldies act. I’d much rather have had a new band like Buckingham Fleetwood McVie creating new, viable music than reanimating the bloated corpse that Fleetwood Mac had become every few years. When the most exciting to happen to a band is the return of someone that made it possible to hear different old songs, and effectively giving us a proper tour for TITN, it’s hard for me to be overly sentimental for that period.

Except in this case the core of the Rumours 5 was still there. Problem was that one of the members didn't want to make new music anymore, within the confines of FM.

Don't you ever concede defeat?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
I agree. The following is from the thread "Stevie as scapegoat" in the Stevie Nicks forum with a nice recap from Murrow and my response.

Mick's soft spot is that he knows which side his bread is buttered on, realizing that an FM with Stevie means much more money in his wallet than one without. This is why so many are disgusted - this once great band has been reduced to nothing more than a cash cow for him. Witness his charging fans $600 a pop plus fees for a brief meeting (ticket price not included!) as part of what I call his "Meet & Fleece" program.

There are also those who are very disappointed with Christine as I am but I'm certain that in an earlier era Christine would have been much more outspoken. The thing is she's now pushing 75 and age sadly does take its toll.
Scapegoat??

Ok so that term is used for a person blamed for sins or mistakes of others. Who would be those others? Mick? Well most people blame him along with her. John? We blame John, but he didn’t get the ball rolling, according to Mick he had to be talked into it. Christine? Again, she didn’t stop it but she made it clear that she knew nothing about it so she is not a part of “majority rules”. Lindsey? He made it clear it’s not his doing or his choice.

Meanwhile Stevie went to great lengths to explain she wanted Lindsey out so she can be happy and dancing. So what is she a scapegoat for??

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Bottom line, for those who proclaim this latest Mac chapter is forward movement, it will only be so under 1 condition: if they record a new studio album. Without new material, they are in even sadder shape than they were before. At least last time around FM was an in tact oldies group. Now they’re an oldies group that’s being cobbled together from the ruins of other oldies groups.

I will also argue that there was a point in time where the FM name ceased to be fluid. I’d wager that point was in the first half of the 1990s. By that point they had fully become a legacy act. No new radio hits were in the cards, and the band’s lineup and set list had both cemented. From there out the public has tolerated no more than 1 of the 5 members being absent. They were smart when Christine left to not replace her- we’ll see how the public reacts this go around with Lindsey’s replacements. If they monkey with the lineup any further, they risk opening for REO Speedwagon again.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
. Now they’re an oldies group that’s being cobbled together from the ruins of other oldies groups.
So Frankenwood Mac might be a more appropriate name now

Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

We still don’t know what the impass was. What exactly did each faction want or not want.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBielski View Post
We still don’t know what the impass was. What exactly did each faction want or not want.
Mere speculation, but I believe part of the impasse was that Stevie couldn't stand to see Lindsey being more chummy with Christine than her. She hated that they did a record and tour together. She hated it even more when he showed more attention to her on stage at the classic east and west shows. Don't **** with the classic Stevie/Lindsey melodrama mantra. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Anybody?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Bottom line, for those who proclaim this latest Mac chapter is forward movement,
Who’s been saying that this is forward movement?

Quote:
it will only be so under 1 condition: if they record a new studio album.
I agree that the only way this new lineup matters is if they make an album. They would be fools to let the opportunity to make an album with talent of that caliber pass, and I have every faith in their ability to do just that. The thing is, a new Fleetwood Mac album wouldn’t be possible with Lindsey in the band, but it is possible now. Just how probable a new album is remains to be seen. But new album or not, I don’t think anyone sees this as a step forward.

Quote:
Without new material, they are in even sadder shape than they were before. At least last time around FM was an in tact oldies group. Now they’re an oldies group that’s being cobbled together from the ruins of other oldies groups.
At least they won’t be playing songs off the same five albums this time out. That’s more interesting to me at this point, and I’m more interested in seeing Lindsey be the artist he wants to be.

Quote:
From there out the public has tolerated no more than 1 of the 5 members being absent. They were smart when Christine left to not replace her- we’ll see how the public reacts this go around with Lindsey’s replacements. If they monkey with the lineup any further, they risk opening for REO Speedwagon again.
Yeah, Mike and Neil are legends in their own right. Billy and Bekka were second generation rockers, Rick a sideman, and Dave Mason a has-been who had nothing new or compelling to offer. There is no parallel with this lineup.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Mere speculation, but I believe part of the impasse was that Stevie couldn't stand to see Lindsey being more chummy with Christine than her. She hated that they did a record and tour together. She hated it even more when he showed more attention to her on stage at the classic east and west shows. Don't **** with the classic Stevie/Lindsey melodrama mantra. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Anybody?

I think that’s part of it. I think all her life choices are finally catching up with her. She’s older. She’s without “love”. She’s childless. She has lost her creative spark. She lost Tom Petty. She sees Linz happy and with kids and more creative than she’s ever been. She sees that she was wrong about the album and people did buy it. And knows more would have bought it under Fleetwood Mac name. I’m sure LB was sure to point that out at the Classics and Music Cares. She was tired of being held to any recording and wanted to be “happy” which in her case is just Denial about where she ended up in life. Creatively and figurativly dried out husk of her former self. Sad.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, she won't have to worry about Christine "stealing" attention from her if we're to believe the rumours that Christine isn't in the band anymore.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 05-17-2018, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think she was mad at him on the last tour and they got into lots of spats (and in my opinion a lot of that was hugely influenced by him being frustrated that she wasn't agreeing to do an album), so she had something against him to begin with. But unlike other times in the past where's been really mad and then gets over it/he makes it up by the next tour which goes better (Say You Will going onto Unleashed and on being a good example), the Buckingham McVie album only made her more pissed at him. I 100% believe she was very bothered by that album and them touring together. Maybe jealousy isn't the right word, but I COMPLETELY think that while she didn't want to get in the studio with him, she did not remotely expect them to release their own duo and tour it and so she just was not happy about it. Maybe with their battle of the wills it felt to her like a move by him to spite her somehow and maybe he did indeed partially mean it that way, a sort of "Okay Stevie, you don't want to record, then fine. I'm done waiting around for you, we're moving forward." Who even knows. I think that really had a big role in exacerbating the situation and getting it to this point. She's always had her up-and-down, ever-changing feelings about Lindsey but throw in this new resentment/jealousy/contempt on top of an already 'down' period, then comes Tom Petty's death, then comes a conflict about the tour which equals a chance to bring Tom's and her friend Mike Campbell into the band, and then here we are.

Last edited by dreamsunwind; 05-17-2018 at 06:53 PM..
Old 05-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Well, she won't have to worry about Christine "stealing" attention from her if we're to believe the rumours that Christine isn't in the band anymore.
Do tell!!!
Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
I think that’s part of it. I think all her life choices are finally catching up with her. She’s older. She’s without “love”. She’s childless. She has lost her creative spark. She lost Tom Petty. She sees Linz happy and with kids and more creative than she’s ever been. She sees that she was wrong about the album and people did buy it. And knows more would have bought it under Fleetwood Mac name. I’m sure LB was sure to point that out at the Classics and Music Cares. She was tired of being held to any recording and wanted to be “happy” which in her case is just Denial about where she ended up in life. Creatively and figurativly dried out husk of her former self. Sad.
Ouch! Pretty brutal assessment but probably spot on. Her mother passing away has likely played a major role in all this as well.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I think she was mad at him on the last tour and they got into lots of spats (and in my opinion a lot of that was hugely influenced by him being frustrated that she wasn't agreeing to do an album), so she had something against him to begin with. But unlike other times in the past where's been really mad and then gets over it/he makes it up by the next tour which goes better (Say You Will going onto Unleashed and on being a good example), the Buckingham McVie album only made her more pissed at him. I 100% believe she was very bothered by that album and them touring together. Maybe jealousy isn't the right word, but I COMPLETELY think that while she didn't want to get in the studio with him, she did not remotely expect them to release their own duo and tour it and so she just was not happy about it. Maybe with their battle of the wills it felt to her like a move by him to spite her somehow and maybe he did indeed partially mean it that way, a sort of "Okay Stevie, you don't want to record, then fine. I'm done waiting around for you, we're moving forward." Who even knows. I think that really had a big role in exacerbating the situation and getting it to this point. She's always had her up-and-down, ever-changing feelings about Lindsey but throw in this new resentment/jealousy/contempt on top of an already 'down' period, then comes Tom Petty's death, then comes a conflict about the tour which equals a chance to bring Tom's and her friend Mike Campbell into the band, and then here we are.
I agree. I think Stevie is in a real ****ed up place in her head right now.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Wait....what?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
Ouch! Pretty brutal assessment but probably spot on. Her mother passing away has likely played a major role in all this as well.
I know, it was harsh, but I agree. I feel sorry for her.