The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The thing that the writer of this article seems to be missing is that while the music the was "influenced" by punk never actually becomes punk, it was still different than anything else at the time. It's almost like he's comparing it to today's music rather than music that was around in 1979.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
The thing that the writer of this article seems to be missing is that while the music the was "influenced" by punk never actually becomes punk, it was still different than anything else at the time. It's almost like he's comparing it to today's music rather than music that was around in 1979.
Exactly. The tone of the article irritates me. Not the critical approach, don't get me wrong, I love that. But when you read it, you can't imagine he ranks it 9/10.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

I love how he says, "Like many double albums, Tusk is too long." Umm, yeah, it's a double album. You didn't expect it to be short did you? It wouldn't be a double album if it wasn't long.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

SILive

Like 1979 original, Fleetwood Mac's 'Tusk' reissue is bold, brash and excessive

http://www.silive.com/entertainment/...eetwood_m.html

By Ken Paulsen | paulsen@siadvance.com

on February 13, 2016 at 8:33 AM, updated February 13, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Fleetwood Mac's deluxe reissue of "Tusk" is as brash and elaborate as the 1979 original, offering extended insights into the development of 20 eclectic songs.

In its original form, "Tusk" was a 2-LP set that followed the mega-success of "Rumours," which had delivered enduring pop classics "Don't Stop," "Dreams," "You Make Loving Fun" and "Go Your Own Way."

Flush with fame and cash, and fueled by cocaine use, according to band co-founder Mick Fleetwood, the band was intent on not making "Rumours II." Instead, they released a 20-song set that mostly (not entirely) eschewed the sunny California harmony pop sound of "Rumours." Songs haltingly methodical and slow crash into breakneck-paced punk-rock romps. On the first listen, it can be unsettling. After that, it works wonderfully.

A few hits emerged from between the heart-racing highs and the faint-pulse lows, including the title track, featuring the USC marching band, and the ethereal top-5 smash "Sara." Most of the rest was not radio-friendly. "Tusk" was a critical smash but a commercial flop when stacked up against "Rumours"-sized expectations.

The passage of time has solidified the legacy of "Tusk" as a masterpiece. The anniversary set captures the album's essence with an in-depth exploration of how it unfolded. Here's why fans will wallow in its abundance of material:

It's excessive, just like the original. The deluxe version delivers 84 tracks, spread across five CDs (the digital version is organized along the same lines.) Those tracks include inside-out looks at the evolution of the album, including the aforementioned title track (eight versions, including one live performance) and "I Know I'm Not Wrong" (eight versions.) Both have aged well. To be sure, half as many versions of each would be plenty, while leaving room for more outtakes and alternate takes.

The hidden gems shine. Stevie Nicks' "Sisters of the Moon" starts softly and builds for five minutes, her distinctive raspy vocals taking center stage. An alternate take of "Storms" haunts with the backing of Lindsey Buckingham on acoustic guitar. Buckingham's "The Ledge," "That's Enough For Me" and "I Know I'm Not Wrong" fuse rockabilly and punk; they sound like they could have been written on the same wild night, and that's a good thing. On each of these three tracks (average length about 2:20), by the time you ask yourself, "Wait, this is Fleetwood Mac?" the tune is already over -- and it's time to jam on the brakes for a track like Christine McVie's "Brown Eyes" or "Never Make Me Cry." Those tracks may not rank among McVie's career's best, but they showcase a moody, silky voice that keeps you from skipping ahead. The alternate takes of these songs give a sense of what it was like in the recording studio, one that was famously, and very expensively, custom built for the band.

22 vintage live tracks. We don't get a single concert, but rather selected tracks from the band's 1979-80 tour in support of "Tusk." Many were taken during a June 1980 run at Wembley Stadium. The tracks present a time capsule of a band still riding the crest of its popularity yet testing the waters with the new material. "Sara" is gorgeous in its simple arrangement and Nicks' passionate vocals during a 1980 Tuscon, Ariz. show. Buckingham practically barks at a St. Louis crowd during a November 1979 performance of "Not That Funny." He gets the point across. During that same show, McVie plaintively belts out "Over and Over," the mournful leadoff track on "Tusk." Tracks from the band's 1975 eponymous album and "Rumours" round out the live offerings.

The band's cohesiveness is on constant display. Watching and hearing Fleetwood Mac's disparate units combine talents is the real pleasure in following the band. "The magic of a band, any band, is in the combination," Fieetwood once said. Although they don't write songs, Fleetwood and fellow original band member John McVie provide the band's backbone, something that's evident during the live performances of "Not That Funny" and "Tusk." Ultimately, Buckingham's orchestration of these songs works so well because it's those guys who form the orchestra. Each of main album's tracks takes on the distinctive personality of the songwriter -- Buckingham (nine tracks), McVie (six) or Nicks (five).

The set, issued by Rhino Records, is available in multiple physical and digital configurations. Among them is a gift set that contains 5 CDs, a DVD, 2 LPs and a booklet, and retails for about $100. All the music can be purchased digitally for $39.99 on music services. The biggest fans will enjoy this encyclopedic approach to an album that holds up to an in-depth re-inspection. The set minus the 22 live tracks sells for $10 less. You can save another $10 by dropping all the outtakes and alternative tracks, but that's where the real fun stuff lives.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What about Mirage

Although Tusk is my favorite FM album, I do, however, think that Mirage should be giving the same kind of special attention. Especially since a deluxe version of Tusk was released back in 2004.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
Although Tusk is my favorite FM album, I do, however, think that Mirage should be giving the same kind of special attention. Especially since a deluxe version of Tusk was released back in 2004.

Was there anything good on that one that wasn't on the 2015 one? Like another live version of Sara, by any chance? The only Tusk that is available on iTunes is multiple versions of the 2015 reissue.

Last edited by Wdm6789; 04-07-2016 at 06:49 AM..
Old 04-07-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Was there anything good on that one that wasn't on the 2015 one? Like another live version of Sara, by any chance? The only Tusk that is available on iTunes is multiple versions of the 2015 reissue.
The detailed tracklist is on fleetwoodmac.net here. The entire 2nd disc was previously unreleased and is different from the material released in 2015.
I particularly like the demo of Sisters of the moon and Storms from that reissue.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 04-07-2016 at 07:22 AM..
Old 04-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
The price of the Deluxe Tusk reissue is a bit hard to swallow, but being rabid fan, I can not settle for the lesser format versions, sans the live tracks.
I initially was resolved to suck it up and pay full price. I pre-ordered it from my local record store, but there are no obligations for me to purchase it. It was priced at $125.

Looking for better options, I was able to purchase it for $80 with free shipping at Target (with my Target Red Card). By no means am I motivated to endorse any merchandiser, but I just want to share my experience with people who might be daunted by the prospect of shelling out so much cash. 80 bucks is still a lot of money but it's the best deal I've seen so far.
Even though I can afford it, I still cannot see myself giving anyone that kind of money for a live disc, which is what I basically wanted out of this. Just yesterday I duped myself out of my own stupidity and bought the 3 disc package at Barnes and Noble for 23.00 thinking it contained the live tracks. I just quickly glanced at the songs on disc three and saw some dates and assumed it was the live stuff.I was so proud of myself for waiting until April to buy this, knowing the price would be reduced by now and NOW realize I'm gonna have to shell out MORE money for the live stuff to be included. This may sound crazy but even though several Ledgies spelled it out for us, the different versions available for this format, I had to read them and reread them over and over and was still readily confused.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Hi All! I'm so sorry that I'm late to this party!

First of all I just need to say that I have literally been waiting for this for over 20 years when I first discovered Fleetwood Mac (yes, I'm aging myself a little...). Tusk is my all time favorite album for a number of reasons.

The Tusk Tour is still my favorite Fleetwood Mac Tour. IMO, there has never been an edgier, gritty, powerful version of the band. The leaders of the group were clearly trying to assert dominance on the stage each night and it came through in their performances. Stevie's vocals and stage presence can be downright haunting, and Lindsey's guitar tone sounds like a demon and madman (probably not too far from the truth...). To me, Lindsey has never played better than he did during the middle stages of the Tusk Tour!

This release was so welcome for me and especially for the live disc of unreleased tracks. Here is where I am most critical of the release though...

While I am very happy that we have some new shows that I don't believe have ever been circulated as bootlegs (i.e., London), I don't hear the band at their peak. Lindsey sounds coked out on some of the songs (I think from the first night, 06/20) and some of the singing from Stevie is sloppy; probably also suffering from the affects of nose candy. I wish they would have included some of the shows from May of 1980, which to me, were the pinnacle of that tour. Chicago, Cleveland (also on Live Album), some of those bootlegs are wonderful. Regardless, it's great to hear some of this new material even if it isn't quite their best.

The live version of Sara is phenomenal. I like it better than the Live Album version simply because it's more raw. I also love that they included songs like That's Enough For Me that I don't think I've ever heard even from bootlegs! And the 5.1 DVD audio? Please don't get me going on that... it's my own little version of heaven. I was so disappointed in 2003/2004 when we heard that Ken had mixed it but never received a release due to the death of DVDA and SACD . The wait was worth it!

All in all, I just wanted to share my impressions and geek out on this release. THANK YOU BAND AND WARNER BROS for putting this material out for us to consume! I've bought it all, including the standalone In Concert and Alternate Tusk vinyl release and will continue to buy any material you release from the Tusk era! (wink wink)

I hope you all have been enjoying this release as much as I have!
Old 08-25-2020, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The only copies available on Amazon are for $900+.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Try discogs if you need a copy. The cheapest is US 90

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/7972811?ev=rb
Old 08-26-2020, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you.