But the sound of his voice
Well, it follows me down
And reminds me

Sometimes he’s my best friend
Even when he’s not around
But the sound of his voice
Well, it follows me down
And reminds me

I think it's pretty clear that the first "sometimes he's my best friend" refers to Lindsey while the second time that verse rolls around she's now referring to Tom, because she has referred to both of them from time to time as being a "best friend".
except of course that she flat out says in the video that the original words to the song for the choruses is "Sometimes TOM'S my best friend" and the reason she took out his actual name is that she knew he wouldn't like it-- but that it is still about him (her words).

Secondly, hearing his music on the radio…Lindsey? really? How much is his stuff played on radio? GYOW still gets quite a fair amount of play but not a lot else. Not anything where you'd catch his stuff regularly. Tom? Yep.
Cardboard cutout (paper doll) of him in the music store that she was tempted to buy? Lindsey? Really? Tom… waaaaay more likely.

There are soooo many songs about Lindsey, I kinda find it amusing we want every little thing to be about him. I was kinda glad she said Beautiful Child wasn't about him, nor Sleeping Angel, nor 24 karat, nor Watch Chain and etc. She's loved a lot of people. Is it the same as with LB? No relationship is ever just like any other, they were all different. She's said about half the album is about LB; just not this one song.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Secondly, hearing his music on the radio…Lindsey? really? How much is his stuff played on radio? GYOW still gets quite a fair amount of play but not a lot else. Not anything where you'd catch his stuff regularly. Tom? Yep.
Cardboard cutout (paper doll) of him in the music store that she was tempted to buy? Lindsey? Really? Tom… waaaaay more likely.
I'm with you on everything but the cardboard cutout - I think that's of someone else. Tom is telling Stevie, stay out of record stores, don't buy that doll, forget him, turn off the radio, let it go.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I'm with you on everything but the cardboard cutout - I think that's of someone else. Tom is telling Stevie, stay out of record stores, don't buy that doll, forget him, turn off the radio, let it go.
Which is why I firmly believe the man she has to "get over" is one of the Eagles (most likely Joe) -- who were all over the radio and record stores that year.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
Which is why I firmly believe the man she has to "get over" is one of the Eagles (most likely Joe) -- who were all over the radio and record stores that year.
I thought so too, and it was only 4 years prior in the liner notes of Timespace that she declared Joe was the love of her life.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She'd usually hear Lindsey on the radio with Fleetwood Mac and I don't think she gets pangs when she hears Fleetwood Mac, even on a Lindsey song. She's never mentioned that it's difficult to hear his voice, except when she does GYOW on stage. In the past she said that was like taking her back to the world of the big fight when he wrote the song. But I don't think hearing FM on the radio gives her those kinds of qualms.

She has probably heard Trouble on the radio and fallen asleep. Maybe when she hears Holiday Road on the radio, it gets her all emotional and heartsick. Boo hoo. I just can't get over him. Woof, woof, woof.

Quote:
I agree with you. But I do think the song Paper Doll is about Lindsey.

As for the cardboard poster she wanted to buy, Stevie the record stores don't sell those. So, the whole "don't buy that doll" thing is unnecessary.

[/QUOTE]There are soooo many songs about Lindsey, I kinda find it amusing we want every little thing to be about him. [/QUOTE]

I know. I am thinking of the arguments that FWIW was about him. Goodness.

And you know, for me there's a transcendent beauty in an almost 50 year old relationship in and of itself. I mean, it endures when the others have died. So, I don't know why it always has to be thought of as an exciting run through the fields towards each other with a racing heart beat kind of thing. I don't think she writes about Lindsey in those terms. But I do believe if there were a room of men and she had to save one from a fire, she'd pull Lindsey out over all those other. I don't think she likes Lindsey the most, but I think she loves him the most. For me, that's enough.

Michele
Old 10-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
That is my take. On the other hand, I could also see Tom telling Stevie to get over what brief fling the two of them actually had and she is just disguising that fact that by writing about two people instead of one.

But yes, the guy she keeps hearing is getting a lot of publicity. Airplay. Photo displays... she can't escape him. Which is why I went with Elvis, Michael Jackson or Justin Bieber. Although, I guess Bieber wasn't around in 1995.

Michele
Old 10-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Maybe when she hears Holiday Road on the radio, it gets her all emotional and heartsick. Boo hoo. I just can't get over him. Woof, woof, woof.
this made me snort.

Quote:
But I do think the song Paper Doll is about Lindsey
I always thought Joe. "you could have said no/you could have said 'well I just can't/whoa we were off the wall/we were mirrors of each other/passing by"

The fire thing? Not sure… maybe she'd save Dave these days.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That is my take. On the other hand, I could also see Tom telling Stevie to get over what brief fling the two of them actually had and she is just disguising that fact that by writing about two people instead of one.

But yes, the guy she keeps hearing is getting a lot of publicity. Airplay. Photo displays... she can't escape him. Which is why I went with Elvis, Michael Jackson or Justin Bieber. Although, I guess Bieber wasn't around in 1995.

Michele
well, Elvis was dead by then, so that makes it easier to get over him.

Michael… well… the less said there the better.

Bieber.. might have been in diapers then? That might put her in Michael Jackson sort of trouble… so kinda rules him out.

For some reason though she just got really stuck on Joe. Different strokes.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"you could have said no/you could have said 'well I just can't/
Now, I especially thought that was about Lindsey and a reference to the Tango fight, because even though the band knew he wanted out, he wouldn't come out and SAY it directly to them. Which was referenced in the Little Lies thread I was just reading in the other forum.

And Lindsey going on and making oblique references to leaving, but not telling them, the repression led to an explosion. In the lyrics, I heard her saying to him, "We could have avoided all of that, if you'd just been frank, sooner."

But my interpretation of the Paper Doll lyrics was probably strongly influenced by the song's video at the time. I admit that.

As far as your suggestion that she'd rescue Dave from a fire first, bite your tongue.

Michele
Old 10-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

As far as your suggestion that she'd rescue Dave from a fire first, bite your tongue.
no? think of all the dramatic "I miss you, I wish I could have saved you" songs we'd get..
Old 10-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I want to know which song was about/inspired by JD Souther.

I'm going to vote for Starshine, now that it's not supposedly about Mick, being about Hernan.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm just finding it amusing that she's said that half the songs are about Lindsey and yet has only admitted one of them (Lady) actually is and probably the 'blue-gray eyes' in Cathouse Blues. So, Stevie, going to enlighten us about the others? Yeah, not gonna happen.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 10-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
I'm just finding it amusing that she's said that half the songs are about Lindsey and yet has only admitted one of them (Lady) actually is and probably the 'blue-gray eyes' in Cathouse Blues. So, Stevie, going to enlighten us about the others? Yeah, not gonna happen.
Cue that gif……
Old 10-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
Yep, that's how I'm hearing it too. Joe Walsh.

Last edited by blinker12; 10-05-2014 at 08:08 PM..
Old 10-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Cue that gif……
Gif? I know not of what you speak!

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"