The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't design a shawl but if it had been a cape I could have had a field day doing that. I designed my own capes back in the 1980's and everyone loved and wanted them.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I can't design a shawl but if it had been a cape I could have had a field day doing that. I designed my own capes back in the 1980's and everyone loved and wanted them.
I had no idea about the span of your talents; you're a caped crusader!

Has anyone in this forum actually submitted a design? If so, could you share it with us.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-18-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Old 08-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.styleite.com/news/noted-s...f-your-design/

Your life finally has meaning.

Nightbird and oracle Stephanie Lynn “Stevie” Nicks, who has given us so much — songs to cry to, songs to spin to, a spiderweb world to hide in, counterspells to whisper when faced with heartbreak or disappointment — has finally called upon us, her army of women who own too many scarves, to serve her. Nicks, the human equivalent of a Tiffany lamp, the OG Elusive Chanteuse, has invited her fans to design a shawl for her. A shawl that she will actually wear on her body. Stevie Nicks’ body. Are you still breathing? Don’t worry, we’ll wait.

Fans have been invited to submit ready-made designs or sketches of “show-stopping” shawls inspired by Nicks’ “mystical visual style and symbolic lyrics.” The winning design will be worn by the singer, professionally photographed, featured on Nicks’ official website, and returned. Yes — you will get to touch, cradle, smell, sleep with, and swaddle yourself in the very same diaphanous fabric that once rested upon and twirled around the delicate poetry-filled limbs of one Stevie Nicks. The same woman who wrote “Landslide.” HOW AREN’T YOU DOODLING SHAWL DESIGNS RIGHT NOW?!

Here are some of our own ideas:

- A shawl woven from the petals of a thousand white roses.
- Wrap ten tambourines in black velvet at a charmed hour and use them to form a net-like pattern. Take the beard hairs of an old Irish traveller and use them as fringe.
- Find a way to turn a crystal ball into a shawl.
- Find a way to turn a hug from Lindsay Buckingham into a shawl.

If you are still uninspired, 1) you are a monster and 2) just shut up and watch this incredible video of Stevie Nicks singing a demo version of “Wild Heart.” If this does nothing for you, I’m sorry but you are already beyond saving.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
- Wrap ten tambourines in black velvet at a charmed hour
This is my favorite part.

Michele
Old 08-19-2014, 01:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

I can sew well enough both on machine and with hands. But I'm no professional. I actually thought about how I would design one. I have a few ideas but I tend to get nitpicky and my perfectionist side comes out. I like to have something unique and I'm sure Stevie does too. Although that shirt she's been wearing alot lately...she's needs to mix it up. But I digress....
I wouldn't want the shawl to be too loud or boring. And I'd be afraid about some tiny imperfection (a loose thread, tiny hole, etc). Can't have one of my heroes wearing clothes that are shoddy! Even if it's only once! I'd much rather her keep it. I wouldn't want it back. She's paying for it! Shoot, if I had alot of money, I'd make it for her for free even!

The description for the contest almost makes it sound like you have to be a professional designer ('to add to your portfolio'). And I don't have any plans to become one anytime soon so I would feel bad if I'm taking an opportunity away from someone who needs their big break.

Hopefully the one she chooses won't be gaudy. Can you imagine her in one made out of chenille yarn with pieces that are hanging off? Like one of those bad beanie hats? Or something that looks like a heavy insulated drape? Eeeewww! lol

Last edited by Nickingham; 08-19-2014 at 01:10 AM..
Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickingham View Post
I can sew well enough both on machine and with hands. But I'm no professional. I actually thought about how I would design one. I have a few ideas but I tend to get nitpicky and my perfectionist side comes out. I like to have something unique and I'm sure Stevie does too. Although that shirt she's been wearing alot lately...she's needs to mix it up. But I digress....
I wouldn't want the shawl to be too loud or boring. And I'd be afraid about some tiny imperfection (a loose thread, tiny hole, etc). Can't have one of my heroes wearing clothes that are shoddy!
I think contestants should concentrate on the design. Make a prototype, don't worry about the workmanship of the finished product, just yet. Michele
Old 09-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

At least Dave hasn't forgotten about this...Would be nice if Stevie's "Person In Charge" would remind us about these things...
Old 09-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks’ Show Stopping Shawl

Posted on September 20, 2014
[click to see images]

Jen Rocket Blog, Pittsburgh Seamstress

http://jenrocket.com/2014/09/20/stev...stopping-shawl

When I saw the ad on Talenthouse for an opportunity to make a shawl for Stevie I knew exactly what to make!

I have always felt a deep resonating respect for nature and the fantastic, which are two themes I find in Stevie’s aesthetic. My design captures these themes in a flowing silk chiffon wrap shawl that hugs the body while allowing freedom of movement. I intend to airbrush a delicate moth wing pattern onto the silk–an homage for the coming moth season in a fall color palette that complements Stevie’s sensibilities. It will then be trimmed in lush golden fringe, feathers, and semi-metallic crochet applique for layers of movement with a touch of glamour.

Please enjoy the following pages of inspiration and design work that are hopefully just the beginning of this adventure.

check out my inspiration board on Pinterest!

Here’s hoping I win! I will know on October 14th!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Voting Is Open For The "Design A Shawl For Stevie" Contest

Voting is now open for the "Design A Shawl" for Stevie Nicks contest...Design a shawl contest
Looks like there are quite a few submissions with some being really good...

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 09-22-2014 at 12:20 PM..
Old 09-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, that is an awful lot of moons, stars, crystals, mystical animals, spider webs, tarot cards etc. I did like that long, cool wash of blue silk attached to the black feathered bodice though. (The Sea of Love)

Edit: Not to be confused with "Sea of Love" which looks like streamers from a child's birthday party draped over your shoulders and arms. (yikes!)

Last edited by Feather Blade; 09-22-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Old 09-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

some of these are stunning. And others are effing awful.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Wow, that is an awful lot of moons, stars, crystals, mystical animals, spider webs, tarot cards etc. I did like that long, cool wash of blue silk attached to the black feathered bodice though. (The Sea of Love)
Yeap thats the one I like so far but there are so many and some of them...
Old 09-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh my God!!! "The Spirit Of Stevie" shawl by Andrew Mullins!!! What in the world????

"Taken By The Sky" by Feurene Chew is pretty awesome!!! I'd love to see Stevie in that one.

Last edited by sorcerer999; 09-22-2014 at 02:17 PM..
Old 09-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Oh my God!!! "The Spirit Of Stevie" shawl by Andrew Mullins!!! What in the world????

I can't stop laughing.

I started looking at them but found it overwhelming pretty early on. Many of them look like different executions of the same idea. Too many of them look like shawls that Stevie already has or has used before. I hopw she finds something in the submissions that she loves!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 09-22-2014 at 02:25 PM..
Old 09-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Feather Blade
This message has been deleted by Feather Blade.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love "white roses of blue leaves" and "Dream of swirls and flowers".

No offense to anyone, but "Fall Freedom" looks like a dog blanket. "The Spirit of Stevie" is just awful.

There are a lot of entires by people that want to clearly be designers and don't know anything about Stevie Nicks. "Exclusive Silk Batik Shawl", whilst very nice, is not something that Stevie would wear on stage. Neither is "Summer Shawl" by Maria Dogaru.

And Bridget Compolattaro, do you really think that Stevie Nicks would wear a shawl with her own album covers on it?