The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > The Penguin > Q&A Discussions

Old 08-27-2001, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default First vote results and finalizing discussion...

Hi there,

The first vote is over and the results are as follows:

Option 1 - Best Of 1 Compilation garnered 39 votes (66.10%)
Option 2 - Best Of 2 Compilation garnered 13 votes (22.03%)
Option 3 - Live Concert(s) garnered 2 votes (3.39%)
Option 4 - Documentary & videos garnered 3 votes (5.08%)
Option 5 - Documentary & selected live performances garnered 2 votes (3.39%)

Option 1 was selected by the majority and is listed below:

Option 1 – Best Of 1 Compilation. The compilation would consist of most or all of the band’s music videos plus a variety of “favorite” live performances through the years. The format would be something like the following with performances and videos presented chronologically by era:

1. Why (Capital Center ‘75 Concert) ~3:45
2. Station Man (Capital Center ’75 Concert) ~4:00
3. Rhiannon (Rosebud) 6:52
4. I’m So Afraid (Rosebud) 5:02
5. Say You Love Me (Rosebud) 3:55
6. World Turning (Midnight Special) ~6:00?
7. Go Your Own Way (Rosebud) 3:32
8. Dreams (Paris Promo) 4:19
9. You Make Loving Fun (Japan) 3:45
10. The Chain (Mirage Concert) 5:45
11. Tusk (video) 3:30
12. Sara (Tusk Doc) 4:08
13. Not That Funny (Tusk Doc) 2:10
14. Sisters of the Moon (Mirage) 7:45
15. Hold Me (video) 3:57
16. Gypsy (video) 4:12
17. Eyes of the World (Mirage) 3:45
18. Little Lies (video) 3:34
19. Seven Wonders (video) 3:38
20. Big Love (video) 3:57
21. Everywhere (video) 3:41
22. As Long As You Follow (video) 4:07
23. Save Me (video) 4:14
24. Skies the Limit (video) 3:42
25. Paper Doll (video) 3:56
26. Love Shines (video) 4:10
27. Silver Springs (Dance) 5:45
28. Bleed to Love Her (Dance) 3:14
29. Landslide (Dance) 3:50
30. Don’t Stop (The Brits) ~4:00

McVie: 12 songs
Nicks: 9 songs
Buckingham: 10 songs (incl. Station Man as “lead” singer)
------------------------

As stated earlier, the way we're going to proceed is to place this current list for Option 1 in a vote against not more than two variations on this list. For the next two days (Tuesday 8/28 & Wednesday 8/29), y'all are invited to share and discuss your ideas for replacements or variations on the current list that you'd like to see in the running in the final vote.

Do you have your heart set on having all of the concept videos included? Would you prefer the performance of a particular song in place of one that is already on the list? Do you want different members represented? If so, please feel free to share those ideas and any others.

My requests -- 1) Check the vault list to see that what you're requesting on your list appears to be in the vault; 2) Remember we're shooting for about 120 minutes worth of material; 3) Please compile complete lists that I can put in a head to head poll with the current list. As no more than two lists will be put up against the current list, perhaps if you share similar ideas with some other Ledgies, it might be most productive to work together on one list, letting others with similar ideas work on another list. 4) Finalize these challenger list(s) by Wednesday night for inclusion in the final vote by Thursday morning.

The final vote will begin on Thursday (8/29). The list that receives the most votes between the current list and the one or two list variations compiled in the next few days of discussion, will be the list sent to Ken Caillat as our "wish list."

Any questions? Please ask. Thanks again everyone for participating in this. Let the discussions begin . . .

Last edited by Les; 08-27-2001 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:24 PM
Junior Ledgie

Personally, I'd really like it if all the videos are on there. Family Man isn't really important, though, since it'd be redundant to have it along with Seven Wonders on the disc. Also, apparently it's not on the vault list. I also think regardless of the 'lack of bandmember screentime', Everywhere and ITBOMM should be in there for the completeness factor.

I'm a horribly pessimistic person, but I'm actually kinda optimistic when it comes to the chances of the Tusk and Mirage things being rereleased after this disc, and really, if that's even a factor, it wouldn't be a bad idea to leave off the material from those 2 videos PLUS The Dance stuff, and just be patient and hopefully wait for a Tusk/Mirage concerts rerelease.

Another thing is, people seem to be mentioning the Rumours, Post-Rumours, and Greeny eras of the band, but would it hurt to maybe have one or two lil' bits from the Bob Welch era? 'Cause Bob rules.

Okay, I'll quit bothering everyone now. Sorry.

~Brian
Old 08-28-2001, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would definitely want all 12 of the concept videos from List 1. I have no interest in the Family Man video. In the Back of My Mind-maybe. I am not as optimistic about the Tusk/Mirage concerts being eventually released on DVD so I would want to keep the live songs from those 2 videos on List 1. I would still like to see Songbird, but I realize Christine already has a lot of songs on List 1. I like most of List 1, except the 3 Dance videos, which are already on the Dance DVD. However, I want to get 10,000 signatures on the petition and I think the more commercial this DVD would be, the better chance there would be of getting 10,0000 signatures. I would keep Silver Springs from the Dance songs. I would add Peter Green's Oh Well. I'm not sure about keeping Landslide. In the future, I would hope eventually that the Tusk, Mirage, Tango & Disney documentary will all be released on DVD. Whatever is decided with this DVD, I'll be happy with anything. I just want something released.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:55 AM
Ledgie

Talking

Thanks Les. Here's a repost from the other post.

Hello! We were looking at the Option #1. And this is what we would do if it was in our hands. Good or no? What do you think?
*** Asteriks represent changes (songs that were added). We removed some to make room: The Everywhere Video, Bleed to Love Her and Landslide from The Dance, and Save Me video.

1. Albatross (or) Oh Well (?) *******
2. Why (Capital Center ‘75 Concert) ~3:45
3. Station Man (Capital Center ’75 Concert) ~4:00
4. Rhiannon (Rosebud) 6:52
5. I’m So Afraid (Rosebud) 5:02
6. Say You Love Me (Rosebud) 3:55
7. Monday Morning (Japan) ********
8. World Turning (Midnight Special) ~6:00?
9. Go Your Own Way (Rosebud) 3:32
10. Dreams (Paris Promo) 4:19
11. You Make Loving Fun (Japan) 3:45
12. Gold dust woman (3 reels) ********
13. The Chain (Mirage Concert) 5:45
14. Tusk (video) 3:30
15. Sara (Tusk Doc) 4:08
16. Not That Funny (Tusk Doc) 2:10
17. Sisters of the Moon (Mirage) 7:45
18. Hold Me (video) 3:57
19. Gypsy (video) 4:12
20. Eyes of the World (Mirage) 3:45
21. Oh Diane (billed on the list as The FM story") ******
22. Little Lies (video) 3:34
23. Seven Wonders (video) 3:38
24. Big Love (video) 3:57
25. As Long As You Follow (video) 4:07
26. Something from Rick or/and Billy? Suggestions anyone???***
27. Skies the Limit (video) 3:42
28. Paper Doll (video) 3:56
29. Love Shines (video) 4:10
30. Silver Springs (Dance) 5:45
31. Don’t Stop (The Brits) ~4:00

We are hoping that the live Tusk and Mirage concerts will be released on DVD, but we are not too optimistic at this point. We were hoping that if friends of people saw this than they would get interested in the live clips and then maybe somewhere down the line they would be released on DVD. And then everyone could have a good, crisp, clear copy.
Old 08-28-2001, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't see it on the vault list (maybe its just titled something cryptic), but I KNOW there's footage of the "Mystery To Me" lineup on Midnight Special in 1973. When VH1 was showing reruns of the program a year or two ago, they'd play BOTH the 1973 ("Believe Me" & "Miles Away") & 1975 ("Why", "Rhiannon", "World Turning", "Over My Head") episodes.

I see "World Turning" is already on the list, but I think one of the tunes from the 1973 appearance would be appropriate for the DVD.

I think the Midnight Special performance of "Rhiannon" is far superior to the Rosebud film version.

Also, "I Loved Another Woman" from the "Tango" video would give Rick Vito a spot on the DVD AND would also cover bases for a Peter Green tune...Rick's intro of the song DOES "dedicate" the song to Peter Green. But in saying that, maybe to open the DVD with a performance of the original+Danny lineup playing "Oh Well" would be appropriate.

Again, like John (wetcamelfood) has mentioned, I think that there should be SOME inclusion of material by as many members as possible. We can't let Bob Welch be ignored on this DVD; the band already snubbed him from being inducted into the R&RHoF, let's not make the same mistake.

Ok, Les, I want to be clear on the concept here. This is just to fine tune WHAT will be on the DVD, the actual running order of the DVD will be decided at another time? Right?
Old 08-28-2001, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Ok, Les, I want to be clear on the concept here. This is just to fine tune WHAT will be on the DVD, the actual running order of the DVD will be decided at another time? Right?
Hi,

Actually, no. We need this vote to be for the content AND your preferred running order because we just need to get this done and sent to Ken as soon as we can.

I understand there was some discussion that the current list for Option 1 was not in entirely correct chronological order. We can either change that one to reflect perfect chronology or we can keep songs of the same era together, but fiddle with their placement a little so that, for example, there aren't 6 Christine songs in a row or something like that.

About the Midnight Specials . . . I know the Mac appeared on Midnight Special more than just the one time that appears to be in the WB vault list, but if the footage from the other appearances isn't in the WB vault, I'm not sure where that leaves us in terms of trying to get it on the DVD.

Last edited by Les; 08-28-2001 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
We can't let Bob Welch be ignored on this DVD; the band already snubbed him from being inducted into the R&RHoF, let's not make the same mistake.
It's not clear from looking at the Video Vault list that anything from the Bob Welch era is even available to use, unfortunately.

Johnny Stew
Old 08-28-2001, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just to add some of my own thoughts and add to others' posts.

I'm not too fond of the "Everywhere" video. A substitute version from either The Tango Concert Video or The Dance would better represent that song IMO.

I agree that "Songbird" should be included in the video. To me it doesn't matter who gets how many songs but more importantly that the songs Fleetwood Mac is most famous/loved for be included.

The Love Shines video(an amateuric video and a not too well known song) could be dropped in place of something representing another incarnation of Fleetwood Mac. Let's say "Hypnotized" by Bob Welch performed by him or the Lindsey/Stevie lineup.

Put on a different version of Landslide from the earlier days. There has to be SOMETHING on that song in "the vaults". Not that I don't like The Dance version but I just don't think it should be overly represented on the compilation video.

I think I'm partial to The Midnight Special version of Rhiannon too, but can live with either that one or The Rosebud version.

Include a video for "Over My Head"..we shouldn't leave any of the hits off the compilation.

Thanks for listening and to Les and Johnny Stew for their time.

Joe
Old 08-28-2001, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Joe,

I, for one, think that the "Love Shines" video is an extremely important video to be included; just for the REASON it isn't all that well known. If there is a mix of known & obscure material, it would please more people. If we concentrate too much on relatively common clips & footage, we're defeating the initial motivation for this DVD. To get stuff that has been buried in the vaults out to the fans. Not a rehash of the hits over & over again.
Old 08-28-2001, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

chiliD

You're absolutely right...get more stuff that is relatively unknown out to the fans, but im my opinion the video just wasn't that good . If the song was better represented by another live or conceptual shot , I'd be happier. Therefore I think it could be scrapped for something else "relatively unknown".

Joe
Old 08-28-2001, 10:49 PM
Ledgie

Default Hi, everyone!

Okay, I know I'm supposed to compose and submit an entire list, but I'm really short on time. I have just a couple of comments:

I agree with Joe on two points:

1) I would like to see an earlier version of Landslide. Most everyone has seen or owns the Dance version, and if an earlier performance is included, maybe it will introduce some younger (Dance era) fans to the earlier stuff.

2) I would also like to see a performance of Over My Head included. As I said before, I love the outdoor performance where Stevie is harmonizing on the "your mood is like a circus wheel..." part and she's making her fingers go round and round. I have very few brain cells intact anymore, so I'm not sure where that footage is from - Rosebud?? Can anyone help? Is it on the vault list?

Now I'd like to disagree with Joe a bit (sorry, buddy! ) - I'd like to see the Love Shines video included...it may not be the BEST or most professionally shot video I've ever seen, but I get a really happy vibe from it; Christine looks so happy, and there's lots of dancing and stuff...it just gives me the warm fuzzies, kind of like the Seven Wonders video does.

I'd also STILL like to see the LA live performance of Love in Store included - it's a great performance. I don't think anyone answered my question from before about whether a video was made for that song, since it was a single from Mirage (and Gypsy and Hold Me both had videos), but I don't believe it did have a "concept" video. It was a fairly big hit, though, at least in MY neck of the woods - and it charted pretty well, I think...if memory serves, I think it reached #19?

One more thought: I see on the vault list this entry: 20th Grammy Awards '78 (03:30). I'm assuming that this is whatever song the group performed on the Grammy awards show, but does anyone know what song it was? I'm thinking it may have been Dreams, since that was the biggest single from Rumours, but I truly don't know. I was just thinking that whatever song it is, if it is a song already listed on the Best Of compilation list, that maybe the Grammy performance could be a cool substitution. Thoughts? Also, it would be cool if this was included, to also show FM winning the Album of the Year award, and their acceptance, if that footage is available.

If anyone could answer the few questions I have regarding 1)the Over My Head performance I'm talking about, and if it was from the Rosebud video or from somewhere else, and 2)what song was performed at the '78 Grammy's, then I may try to compose and submit a list.

Thanks in advance, guys!
Lori
Old 08-29-2001, 03:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lori, that performance of "Over My Head" was shown on Disney's Fleetwood Mac: Going Home, and appears to me to have been filmed at that same Santa Barbara concert they used footage from for 'Rosebud.'
We had a Midnight Special performance on the list, but it got dropped from the list for two reasons...

1) An interest was expressed in seeing the Buckingham Nicks incarnation of Fleetwood Mac perform some of the older Mac tunes.
and
2) It wasn't apparent from the list that that particular performance was available to use.

So we switched "Over My Head" for "Why."

Presumeably, the Santa Barbara performance IS on the list, as "Remote @ UC Santa Barbara."
Wish Warner Bros. would have given us a more exact rundown though!

It is a cool version, and your suggestion is duly noted, doll!

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 08-29-2001 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2001, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Everywhere too!!

I'd just like to say that i would really like to see the concept-video for everywhere included. I for one like it oke i know stevie and Lindsey aren't even in there , but it is one of there bigest hits , and we are trying to get the 10.000 so i think it should be on there.
Well and about landslide i love that song. It is actualy my favorite mac song of all time so i like to see it included. But i don't mind wich version really aslong as it's on there.
Lets hope we gete the votes!!!
Old 08-29-2001, 05:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think the list Les has is about as good as it's going to get, I would have liked to seen Not That Funny from the Mirage Video but a ten minute song is too long for an already long list. Also I wanted to ask if this dvd would be in 2 channels or will Ken be able to remaster the music videos in 5.1 sound? I'm sure the concerts other then the dance will have to be in 2 channels. Anyone know?
Old 08-29-2001, 05:11 AM
Ledgie

I like most of the running order on the list, but I would some changes like omitting The Dance songs because there is already the DVD so people can just buy that and then they can add more MAc stuff like some Bob Welch and Peter green era stuff cause I love that stuff too.

As someone mentioned earlier about "Believe Me" and "Miles Away" from the Midnight Special Nov. 1973 would be great. I thought that was a really good performance and the only Mac performance I've seen with Bob Welch. Good thing I taped that when it aired on VH-1 back a couple years ago.

I think maybe using "You Make Loving Fun" from the Rosebud video instead of jApan would be better. But then I don't know if you want more different performacnces from different shows because it already looks like every Rosedbud performance from 1976 is on there.

I think "Oh Well", "Albatross," and "Black Magic Woman" should be added along with "Green Manalishi should be added. If you guys do take off the Dance songs then the Peter Green and Bob Welch songs could be added. I mean Peter GReen was in the original Mac. So it would be a good homage. Hopefully they could pull out some vintage Mac performance from the 60s.

and what about "angeL"??? But then I can wait for The TUSK DOc to be released on DVD. Hopefully this will happen!
and what do you know I am listening to TUSK...

well that's my two cents or 25 cents ...what can you buy with a nickel anymore? just thinking about it now... ok that had nothing to do with THE MAC!
-April