Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default How has your fandom changed over the years

How has your Fleetwood Mac fandom changed over the years?

EG -if you liked th early male line-ups, did you welcome the inclusion of Christine or did you think it was the end of civilization as we know it to have a GIRL in FM.

As an early fan did you welcome Buckinghamnicks with open arms or did you think they should be lined up against the nearest wall and........... for changing the sound of your favourite band?

Does your fandom start and end with Rumours and Tusk?

Did you start with the Rumours era but have since come to love the early/later incarnations?

Did you see only Stevie for years but now realize you loved Lindsey and or Christine all along?
Or was Stevie your route to discovering Lindsey/Christine/Peter/Bob/Rick/

Did it all start with Tango/ Dance and you're still discovering new delights?

Did you discover Bekka and work backwards?

Or has the definitive Fleetwood Mac not happened yet for you?

etc etc
Old 11-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I got into Mac through Rumours/Mirage which were the two albums my Dad had when I was growing up. I got into Stevie myself as an extention of the mac but ended up being more of a Stevie fan than a mac fan. When I was younger my Mum bought me Rumours, Mirage and Tango in the Night on tape and Behind the Mask on CD..i must've been about 5 or 6. Then I picked up a copy of Other Side of the Mirror in a charity shop and was hooked.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was a Peter Green fan before there ever WAS a "Fleetwood Mac". But, after Peter left and I heard Kiln House, I remained a fan...the group had by then, gotten to be the bigger entity than any particular member. Then through the '70s, I got used to the constant personnel changes (so when Lindsey left in 1987, and Steve & Christine left in 1990, they weren't earth-shattering events)

I've been just fine with each "reinvention" of Fleetwood Mac...with the exception of the return of Lindsey & Stevie in 1997. I thought that was the worst thing Fleetwood Mac could've done.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does your fandom start and end with Rumours and Tusk?
I started with MIRAGE in fact. Though I already knew DREAMS, DON'T STOP and YMLFUN. But the Gypsy video got me interested in this band. This was simultaneously with BELLA DONNA so actually Stevie was the first atracttion.

Then I bought the LIVE album (cause I'm a live versions fan) and that was when I became fan of the Rumours lineup. I've listened other lineups but the Rumours one is my favorite.

Did you start with the Rumours era but have since come to love the early/later incarnations? Frankly, I don't LOVE them, but I like some. I'm not into blues that much, but some songs are interesting.

Yes, she was the route.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I first got into them I was a die-hard Christine fan. I loved her stuff - and refused to become one of those "Stevie Nicks obsessives" Then I became a Stevie Nicks obsessive

I mean I was way obsessed with her and FM...but over the years I've mellowed...I'm not longer "obsessed" more appreciative...that sounds lame.

They're my #2 favorite band of all-time, but I'm just not as rabid as I used to be in my fandom.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

you're all probably going to be shocked by this, but mine hasn't changed. I was hooked by our Rock Goddess on The Dance and I'm still rocking a little to the Queen Mother more than ever today.

shocked, right?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I became a fan with the release of Rumours... then got the "White Album" and "Buckingham/Nicks". I have been SO incredibly sold on them ever since! When they played Atlanta on the Rumours tour I already had tickets (3rd row in front of Lindsey!!) but won their album catalog from a radio contest. I mainly listened to just the Christine and Bob Welch songs off them, tho. Since then tho I LOVE those early albums.

I have remained a die-hard fan of theirs all along. Was incredibly "suspicious" of the TIME phase but hung in since Christine was still there... even got that cd just for her songs. Since then, I love me some TIME and that is one of my very, very faves.

I thought SYW would have been cooler as a long-awaited B/N follow-up.

"Lucky in love... Unlucky in opening cereal boxes... -- Lisa Douglas, re: Olivah
Old 11-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting question.

I came to the Mac the way most people did: Rumors (my older sister bought it when I was six) and Mirage (which came out when I entered junior high).

I first loved Stevie ("Gypsy" and "Dreams") in part because of her look, in part because her voice is so unique.

So, within a year, I wound up getting Tusk, then the white album--both of which I loved. By then, my favorite member was--and still is--Christine. I couldn't get enough of her voice.

So, in pursuit of more Chris, I bought Heroes (which at first shocked me; I was horrified by the weirdness of the songs, and the horns in the title track...), then Penguin (which I LOVED). All the Bob Welch-era albums became so interesting to me. Then, I moved further back. Kiln House, Then Play on, etc... I still can't believe the richness of this band.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was in HMV one day and saw the Rumours re-master on sale of £6.99 and since my parents used to play The Dance a lot in the car I though "Why not? It's supposed to be an all time classic" so I bought it, thought it was great, especially Lindsey's stuff. Second Hand News remains one of my favourites. The I order Tusk and the White Album. Loved them. Then ordered Say You Will and Tango In The Night. Eventually got Mirage one day when I was in Belfast. Then, since I'm a big Blues fan I moved onto the earlier stuff and have been slowly working my way through that. I'm a completist for bands I like, regardless of line-up, so I'm willing to give any incarnation of FM a chance (I hate it when people dismiss Black Sabbath because they aren't the original/most popular line-up so I refuse to do that with FM).
Lindsey's stuff is still my favourite, with Peter Green in second place.

[I think this post was rather rambling... blame alcohol lol]
Old 11-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I started with "Tango" in 1987. I was 13 at the time, and didn't have a ton of money for music, so whatever I did buy, I had to be fairly selective. I had been following the group on MTV, and had developed a curiosity. That peaked when Lindsey quit the group, and I knew I had to buy the "Tango" tape. A few weeks later I bought "Mirage" (since I knew "Hold Me" and "Gypsy") and found an LP of "Mystery To Me." So very early on in my fandom, I realized there were other eras of Fleetwood Mac. My next purchases were Lindsey's "Law And Order" and one of those Boston Tea Party shows from the Peter Green Days.

Christmas of 1987 saw the additions of "Fleetwood Mac" and "Tusk." I also saw and read the CD box for "Future Games," which helped me understand where the band had gone, and where they were going. Oddly enough, "Rumours" was the last Big Mac studio album, which I got in the new year. I also was able to pick up "Penguin," "Fleetwood Mac In Chicago," and "Heroes Are Hard To Find" in the cut-out bins, as well as various solo albums. The most intersting thing I found was at a record show, and that was the Christine Perfect album. Now, this was before I had gotten her 1984 album. A few months later, I went to Chicago and picked up "Then Play On," "The Visitor," and "Future Games."

So, within the first year or so of the release of "Tango," I went from not knowing anything about Fleetwood Mac to being a fan of the group. By my third year of fandom, after going to many record shows, used record stores, flea markets, music import stores, and even estate sales, I had all of the studio albums, a good chunk of the solo albums, my first copy of Buckingham Nicks, and had chatted with the record companies and even managers.

How has it changed, going into my 20th year of fandom? A lot of the mystique, thanks to the various bootlegs that have surfaced within the last few years, might have died down a bit, but that's been replaced by a new level of respect for the group. I don't listen to them as avidly as before, but then I'm now 32 and have actual responsibilities. I don't always rush out to the store to pick up a new solo album, but then I've always been very cautious with money. In other words, I'm still the same fan, just grown up.

In terms of my attitude towards the band, that hasn't changed. From the beginning, I knew this was a band of change. I quickly learned of the different eras, and as quickly found a magical quality in the music of every era. It's probably also why I don't really have an issue with the later incarnations of the group. The band's history, and diversity, has made them the most interesting band to me.

I should note that within months of getting into the band, I started playing guitar and writing songs, so having all those singer/songwriter/guitarists is something I've identified with, and have personally benefitted from. It's like there is this weird connection, forged at an early age, for me.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It was Stevie's voice and songs that captured my attention first. 'Rock A Little' was the first album I owned by her (got it for Christmas in '85), and from there I sought out her first two solo albums and then started collecting her albums with Fleetwood Mac -- which is how I also became a big fan of Lindsey and Christine.
The more I learned about Fleetwood Mac, the more I wanted to hear the music of the earlier incarnations, and eventually my fandom encompassed all of the various lineups.

Through it all though, Stevie has remained my favorite... as she's the only one who has consistently entertained me, touched me and inspired me without fail.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul View Post
Thats me. My ex-boss was a big fan of "Everyday", and forced me to listen to TISL, which I now thank him dearly for - because that album marks the changing point in my musical taste. I used to be a hip-hop fan until I heard that album, now I just don't know what I was thinking...

From that album, I ventured into Fleetwood Mac. The first album being "Rumours" and the last album I bought "Kiln House".
Old 11-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was mainly intrigued by Stevie when I first heard The Dance. I tried listening to some of the stuff by the earlier FM lineups, but I just couldn't get into it. I like some of the early Peter Green stuff (before Then Play On) and I've heard some of Christine's work with Chicken Shack, which I like, too. I can't stomach Bob Welch, though.

My fandom has cooled way, way down. As I've mentioned before, I'm mostly over Stevie. I appreciate Lindsey now more than I ever have, and am probably a bigger fan of his now than I am of Stevie's.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
you're all probably going to be shocked by this, but mine hasn't changed. I was hooked by our Rock Goddess on The Dance and I'm still rocking a little to the Queen Mother more than ever today.

shocked, right?
I just love reading that because it's nice to know after being into Fleetwood Mac since 1975-the White Album-that they can still reach a much younger fan here and there.
I still love Fleetwood Mac, but after Christine left, it wasnt exactly the same.It was listening to Over My Head-on AM radio at that, that turned me on to the band.
From there, I got Buckingham-Nicks, which I loved-still do. Then that led me to a few older albums-Future Games and Then Play On, which I enjoyed. Back in 1977 they would play Hypnotized and Future Games alongside the Rumours music from what I remember.
I saw them live during the Tusk Tour, Mirage, Tango in the Night. All of them except the Time line up which didnt appeal to me at all.
So after all these years Stevie is still my favorite.
It's funny about the Dance, because that's been awhile now, but I remember feeling so glad/excited that the Rumours line up was hitting the road again. I got to see their 2 shows at Shoreline, outside of San Jose.
I would go see them again like I did 3 times on the Say You WIll Tour, but like alot of fans, I'd love to hear a different set. Even though Christine's gone from the band I'd love to hear Hold Me. And Angel, Storms, Tango in the Night for starters.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rumours brought me to FM. Mylove for the band continues to grow. From Rumours, I became a fan of B&N in addition to the respective solo work. The intensity of my fandom does increase based upon the release of work or a tour...group or solo.

[edit] who am I kidding...LINDSEY IS #1

Last edited by BTFLCHLD; 12-01-2006 at 09:28 PM..