Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-28-2004, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
I disagree. And to quote myself:
Well at least my criticism wasn`t directed at the change of the song. I think a cover should be significantly different or if not then be better than the original. Most covers fail to reach one of these goals. Lindseys approach of the song was different- great (as nearly always). What I criticised was the bad singing. There are artists like Keith Richards or Lou Reed who can't really sing but nevertheless do it and have something special- I like these two f.e. very much. And there are artists who can actually sing but have bad days or pick the wrong song. This fits to that HCTS attempt. The song was too much for his voice and intensity or not- it sounded tacky then. For somebody like him- who did much better often before this was a bad moment, even for me as a fan. That's not a shame to accept imo and has nothing to do with the general approach.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:21 AM

Stefan, I disagree that it was bad as you say. To me it sounded intense in an appealing way. Even refreshing.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just saw the Landslide Boston taping video. It was great and Stevie's voice gave me chills. The angles of photography were great AND but I like the hair better without the bangs (will she ever win ). Sadly, they cut the intro. and the crowd's singing along with her. BTW - I love how they have a director credit - what did he say to them - "um Mr. Stevie and Ms. Lindsay (sic)" could you just act like you have at the past 75 shows!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
He did the song on a tribute show for George Harrison if I remember right. That was 2001 or so- I don`t remember exactly. He did it with his fingerpicking style but the singing sounded really off. The worst thing was the last part where he tried to hit the high notes but didn`t succeed. Of course the MP3 is crappy but I am sure that can`t be the only reason. It made me shudder as I heard it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
That description makes it sound like it was a work of art. It was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Then Stevie came along a year later and did Sorcerer at the RMAs at that was almost as torturous.

I always wanted to quote myself so here I go
No in fact there is a reason other than that I like my posts that much and that is the fact that I downloaded a version of "Here comes the sun". It seems to be a TV broadcast from 31.12.01 and you can find it on Nancy`s site http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/ Thanks, Nancy!
I must admit that I changed my mind after watching this clip in good quality. It is a decent performance- I like it. Somewhere I got hold of a mp3 of his HCTS performance with crappy audio quality and listening to it was pure pain. The singing was that much off that you could hardly bear it. Now either that was a different performance (wasn`t there once a Harrison tribute show that had nothing to do with new years eve?) or it really was simply due to the sound quality. Go and listen to the clip now posted and share your opinions. Dissention, what about you- you like that one better too?
Old 07-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
I always wanted to quote myself so here I go
No in fact there is a reason other than that I like my posts that much and that is the fact that I downloaded a version of "Here comes the sun". It seems to be a TV broadcast from 31.12.01 and you can find it on Nancy`s site http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/ Thanks, Nancy!
I must admit that I changed my mind after watching this clip in good quality. It is a decent performance- I like it. Somewhere I got hold of a mp3 of his HCTS performance with crappy audio quality and listening to it was pure pain. The singing was that much off that you could hardly bear it. Now either that was a different performance (wasn`t there once a Harrison tribute show that had nothing to do with new years eve?) or it really was simply due to the sound quality. Go and listen to the clip now posted and share your opinions. Dissention, what about you- you like that one better too?

YES!!!!!

Now you see he sings it fantasticly intense. In a very buckingham way. How can you simply not LOVE it!? Thanks Nancy. And Stefan: only a great mind dares to change opinions. I love HCTS even more now I saw the video in good quality. The "solo" just screams melancholy!

gerald

Come on, Diss....be a great mind, too....