Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Athletic shoes?

It's that time again, time for me to buy new tennis shoes. But I don't want actual tennis shoes.

Because I'm actually working out consistently now I want a good pair that are appropriate for what I do. So I was thinking Cross Trainers?

Does anyone know about these things? Usually I just to go Ross or Kohl's or something and get the first pair I find on sale...with no attention paid to what kind of shoe they are. I think now I have Asics running shoes...but I don't run.

So anyway - any recomendations? I looked online for reviews - but must be searching wrong as all I was getting were reviews for men's running shoes.

Any brand recomendations? Avia's are always the cheapest at Penney's and Kohl's and Famous Footwear - but are they any good?

Any input in this area would be greatly appreciated...I'm also trying different google searches to find appropriate reviews.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

New Balance has always been my fav
Old 02-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
I was looking at those too...I've never had New Balance shoes, but from what I've read they seem pretty good.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Same here...they really help when I run check em out D
Old 02-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish I knew! I'm actually looking for new runners myself. I think if I wear my current pair one more time, they'll come apart at the seams. And my chucks aren't good for exercising in.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Same here...they really help when I run check em out D
yeah. I've spent hundreds of dollars on Nikes and others, but always go back to my old NB's.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I only buy Nike, and I've found that cross trainers and runners are by far the most comfortable and light weight. That's the only advice I have. I also like that both kinds of shoes are usually meshy... so they breathe. Your feet don't get sweaty.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks guys. Sounds like everyone is in the same boat with shoes..no experts.

I think I'm going to try the New Balance. It's now between that and Nike - but some of the NIke's I've seen are so ugly - and though they're for working out I still want them to be nice looking

I read some on-line reviews though - and think I've got enough info to make an informed shoe purchase.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, they are really comfortable. If not those, Then i still rely on ye olde nikes.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

the key is matching your show to your activity. that is so, so important. if you run, buy shoes designed for running. court sports? they design them for that. walking, get walking shoes.

then, go to a good sports shoe store. one with trained sales staff. they should look at your foot, measure it properly, and establish if you pronate or suppinate (walk on the outsides of your feet or inside), and if you have flat feet or a high arch.

then, you should try on a variety of shoes by a variety of makers. find the shoe that you feel comfortable in. that fits your foot well. i can tell you that i have been running for more than a decade and have always worn nike, but i would never ever recommend them to you. you ned to find the shoe that you are comfortable in, and which will support your foot (and subsequently knees and hips the best).

hope that helps a bit. oh, and don't skimp. they do cost a lot, but your body will thank you.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.

Last edited by catinthedark; 02-26-2007 at 11:44 PM..
Old 02-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark View Post
the ket is matching your show to your activity. that is so, so important. if you run, buy shoes designed for running. court sports? they design them for that. walking, get walking shoes.

then, go to a good sports shoe store. one with trained sales staff. they should look at your foot, measure it properly, and establish if you pronate or suppinate (walk on the outsides of your feet or inside), and if you have flat feet or a high arch.

then, you should try on a variety of shoes by a variety of makers. find the shoe that you feel comfortable in. that fits your foot well. i can tell you that i have been running for more than a decade and have always worn nike, but i would never ever recommend them to you. you ned to find the shoe that you are comfortable in, and which will support your foot (and subsequently knees and hips the best).

hope that helps a bit. oh, and don't skimp. they do cost a lot, but your body will thank you.

Good God. Now I'm back to overwhelmed

Not really -but I know I don't need running, court or walking shoes. I do none of those things. I mostly do stuff like elliptical, weights, bike etc....so that's why I was thinking Cross Trainer.

But I do like the idea of going to a sport shoe store, I actually never even thought about it- but now that you brought it up, I could use the information that they may be able to offer.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^ When I asked my brother (who's a runner) he told me the same thing that Cat just said. There's a store here that will actually put you on a treadmill & measure how you run, stress points on your foot, etc. Apparently it's free, and there's no obligation to buy. They will guide you to the best shoe for your foot/activity. I plan on doing this in the spring.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
^ When I asked my brother (who's a runner) he told me the same thing that Cat just said. There's a store here that will actually put you on a treadmill & measure how you run, stress points on your foot, etc. Apparently it's free, and there's no obligation to buy. They will guide you to the best shoe for your foot/activity. I plan on doing this in the spring.
Dammit. What store? Is it a national chain (I'm thinking no).

That's what overwhelms me, I have no clue where to go as I'm relatively sure the guys at Footlocker aren't so professional...