The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Pick 2 albums that represent Lindsey at his very best!
'75 Fleetwood Mac 5 6.94%
Rumours 30 41.67%
Tusk 58 80.56%
Mirage 5 6.94%
Tango in the Night 19 26.39%
Say You Will 25 34.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Which two albums represent Lindsey's best Fleetwood Mac work?

Since I did one for Stevie in honor of her birthday, I thought I'd continue for Lindsey, Christine, and possibly the Pre-Rumours gang.

Pick 2 albums that you feel represent and showcases Lindsey Buckingham at his very best.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rumours and Tango, easily.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Rumours and Tango, easily.
Ditto.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

SYW got 3 votes, and '75 NOTHING?
That's bass ackwards!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm surprised at how well SYW is doing so far. I would've thought it'd have been a fight between Tusk, Rumours and TITN.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

I voted for the white album and rumours. I love all his songs on those! Everyone of them. For Tusk and Mirage I thought his songs were by far the weakest, horrible. He did do a great job producing Stevie's songs for those albums though I guess he does get credit there. Its easy to see how jealousy tore them apart which is typical for a lot of musical relationships it seems. For Tango- Big Love is great and the tittle song is good, but the rest were just ok to blah. Even though I am a bigger Stevie fan for sure, he did carry Say You Will, but even those songs were sub par to the first two albums.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Rumours and '75 are flawless albums, but Tusk and SYW show Lindsey at his most unrestrained and interesting, so they get my vote. Mirage and Tango have just a touch too many clunkers for me. Sorry Oh Diane and Family Man! I know you were minor UK hits, but it's time to admit that you are just not very good songs.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm curious about how TITN will do as it wasn't in play for Stevie and I imagine will do great for Christine.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Two words: Go Your Own Way

also: everything on Tusk

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
SYW got 3 votes, and '75 NOTHING?
That's bass ackwards!
For me, Lindsey's songs from the '75 & Rumours albums are flawless... but those contributions are almost cliche and middle of the road compared to Lindsey's later works.

Mirage is Lindsey's low point, IMO. He's totally thumbing his nose at the backlash from his Tusk experiments by contributing utterly inoffensive & completely boring songs.

Tango is one of Fleetwood Mac's best albums, IMO... it's every bit as good of a pop album as Rumours & Mystery To Me. Oddly enough, when you look at the songwriters individually, they don't hold their own compared to their other albums.

In a strange twist of fate, I think Lindsey's best material is found on the 2 Mac albums where I feel Stevie's resides as well: Tusk & Say You Will. For me, those 2 albums are where Lindsey really flexes his creative muscle, and is probably most himself. Tusk is the band's masterpiece, IMO. In opposition to Mirage, I feel Say You Will is a terrible album, yet when you look at the songwriters individually, it's some of their best works of their careers.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ To me, Lindsey's Mirage work is not inoffensive. It's retro weird. For a 1982 audience, I don't think it was meant to be appealing. I think they were meant to find it odd and that it was intended to be noncommercial and uncooperative.

What Warner Bros. wanted from Lindsey was "Trouble" and he decided not to give them that and delivered cliches with a twist instead, but the subversion was less obvious (and less creative) than his Tusk oddness was.

By contrast, I think a song like "Steal Your Heart Away" is innocuous and safe. Inoffensive. Palatable in a way that I don think the Mirage offerings were ever meant to be.

The problem is, While I hear a different type of rebellion in Diane or Eyes, I think they're less complicated and original than his work on Tusk.

Michele
Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Agreed, Michele. I think people are too quick to make the leap from "I don't like this" to "Lindsey was intentionally kinda sucking" when it comes to Mirage. I think it absolutely was what he wanted to put out. The difference is that it just... wasn't very interesting.

I do have a soft spot for Book of Love though. That was the only not-Stevie Mirage song that I actually enjoyed for a good year into my Mac fandom.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Agreed, Michele. I think people are too quick to make the leap from "I don't like this" to "Lindsey was intentionally kinda sucking" when it comes to Mirage. I think it absolutely was what he wanted to put out. The difference is that it just... wasn't very interesting.

I do have a soft spot for Book of Love though. That was the only not-Stevie Mirage song that I actually enjoyed for a good year into my Mac fandom.
For me, Stevie's songs are the only ones I don't like (Except "Gypsy"). I'm not too high on some of Christine's ("Love in Store" and "Hold Me" are great), but they're decent. Same with "Empire State" for Lindsey. But overall I like more Lindsey songs on the album than anyone else.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Mirage is Lindsey's low point, IMO. He's totally thumbing his nose at the backlash from his Tusk experiments by contributing utterly inoffensive & completely boring songs.

Tango is one of Fleetwood Mac's best albums, IMO... it's every bit as good of a pop album as Rumours & Mystery To Me. Oddly enough, when you look at the songwriters individually, they don't hold their own compared to their other albums.

In a strange twist of fate, I think Lindsey's best material is found on the 2 Mac albums where I feel Stevie's resides as well: Tusk & Say You Will. For me, those 2 albums are where Lindsey really flexes his creative muscle, and is probably most himself. Tusk is the band's masterpiece, IMO. In opposition to Mirage, I feel Say You Will is a terrible album, yet when you look at the songwriters individually, it's some of their best works of their careers.
Mirage may not be "deep", but I'll never understand the disrespect it gets.
I LOVE Can't Go Back, Book of Love, and even Empire State!!!

Tango just sounds too 80's for me. I mean, I like it, but it doesn't sound like a BAND playing, it sounds like a computer playing the instruments. It's pop perfection, but as a musician, it leaves me cold.

Tusk is the masterpiece, but probably not to the casual fan. Rumours is the album that changed my life...I am who I am, and became who I am, all over being OBSESSED with that album, as a kid. So even though I rarely listen to it anymore, Rumours will always be my favorite.

Say You Will? Just Say You Won't. Too long, too many songs, too many songs that sound like solo songs - not FM songs. And the FM balance of Christine, gone....I think that's why they shouldn't put anything else out(other than maybe EP's).
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Although Tusk is a pop masterpiece in it's own right, I think I would do his work on '75 and Rumours a great disservice by not recognizing that his work is the dictionary definition of classic rock while Tusk is more of a "cult classic". When you put on the '75 album and are immediately treated to Lindsey's voice "Monday morning you sure look fine... it showcases a previously underappreciated talent in Mr Buckingham. Same with Blue Letter "when your day goes down, I won't be waitin' around for you". World Turning, although a partially "borrowed" song from Peter Green, the sounds he got out of his guitar are nothing short of brilliant. Ending with his show stopping masterpiece, which remains to this day in I'm so Afraid, heck he even recycled it a couple of times in Tango and This is the Time.

Rumours brought him into the stratosphere talent wise. Second Hand News like Monday Morning, is one of those songs you can listen to again and again and it never grows stale. His musicianship in Never Going Back Again in its various incarnations again showcase his unmatchable talent. Go Your Own Way is Lindsey's career defining song, he has never not played it live and the temptation to turn it up really loud will never fade. Lastly, what Lindsey did with the Chain, he has never quite captured since and probably could have out of the more brilliant pieces of Stevie Nicks demos that we know exist, and the musical pieces he's written, especially in the late career trilogy of brilliant solo albums.

Other albums, especially Tusk, have other examples of Lindsey's brilliance, but he changed the course of his career in 1979 and decided not to make the classic sound again. His work has been stellar, but none of it is as good as these two first Fleetwood Mac albums. Part of me wishes he had kept to that meticulous way of writing, arranging and recording music. I think I read recently where Ken Calliat wanted to take Tusk into more of a musically perfect album than Rumours and with the quality of songs on the album, I can't help but wonder how they would have sounded if that direction had been taken.