Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Man Of The World or Need Your Love So Bad

Here's a couple slow Peter songs I thought I'd throw out there for consideration of all you good fans. Man Of The World for me, hands down. Although Need Your Love So Bad is no slouch.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Between the two, I tend to lean toward "Man Of The World" since it is a Peter Green composition.

"Need Your Love So Bad" was a cover...written by Little Willie John back in the late 40's/early 50's. Peter & the Mac do a great job on it (check out the various versions on the Complete Blue Horizon Sessions collection). The Allman Bros Band (I'm in an ABB obsession these days) does a nice cover of it on their Enlightened Rogues album, as well.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Between the two, I tend to lean toward "Man Of The World" since it is a Peter Green composition.

"Need Your Love So Bad" was a cover...written by Little Willie John back in the late 40's/early 50's. Peter & the Mac do a great job on it (check out the various versions on the Complete Blue Horizon Sessions collection). The Allman Bros Band (I'm in an ABB obsession these days) does a nice cover of it on their Enlightened Rogues album, as well.
Ok, I didnt know that about "Need your love so bad. Thank you for enlightening me to that.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another thing that I love about Man Of The World is how incredibly real it sounds. That's mr Green and his feelings right there in song. Classic.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Here's a couple slow Peter songs I thought I'd throw out there for consideration of all you good fans. Man Of The World for me, hands down. Although Need Your Love So Bad is no slouch.
"Man of the World" has always been one of my favorite Peter Green songs, though I can never decide if I like it better with or without the last line - "and how I wish I was in love." I really like the lyric, but at the same time, having the song close with just the guitar melody is an equally powerful effect.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Man of the World for me too - it was the song that first got me interested in Fleetwood Mac, way way back in ooh... about 1993

I like NYLSB too, but I'm not a big fan of the regular version with the strings, I much prefer it without.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Man of the World for me too - it was the song that first got me interested in Fleetwood Mac, way way back in ooh... about 1993

I like NYLSB too, but I'm not a big fan of the regular version with the strings, I much prefer it without.
As on Shrine 69? With a beautiful second guitar from Danny? I really love that one.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, definitely! I particularly love that version on Shrine '69 - love that whole show
Old 01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Yeah, definitely! I particularly love that version on Shrine '69 - love that whole show
I guess we're getting a bit of topic, but I just wanted to say that my favorite Shrine tune is track 2: If you be my baby. Very powerful, yet emotional, Peter Green guitar.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk
...my favorite Shrine tune is track 2: If you be my baby.

Blows the studio version away!

One night at a blues jam about 8 years ago, the singer asked me if I knew the song, I said "yeah"...so we nailed it. Afterwards, she said, "there's not too many people who know Gary Moore tunes."... I had to set her straight. (apparently, she didn't get the concept of Gary's Blues For Greeny album).
Old 01-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Blows the studio version away!

One night at a blues jam about 8 years ago, the singer asked me if I knew the song, I said "yeah"...so we nailed it. Afterwards, she said, "there's not too many people who know Gary Moore tunes."... I had to set her straight. (apparently, she didn't get the concept of Gary's Blues For Greeny album).
Very straight forward singing and guitar by Gary. No use of dynamics, hardly any heart burnt emotions. Yet I appreciate his intentions on that album, but to my opinion far away from what Peter has left us. I do like his version of Looking for somebody, however.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk
Very straight forward singing and guitar by Gary. No use of dynamics, hardly any heart burnt emotions. Yet I appreciate his intentions on that album, but to my opinion far away from what Peter has left us. I do like his version of Looking for somebody, however.
great story cD. you can't let that pass without comment!

bfg was a great idea and well done but i do agree with wouter; the versions do not approach the originals.

i like bernie marsden's tribute more. but as long as you don't expect too much both are great. and since pete doesn't play like that anymore, it's nice to hear his legacy acknowledged (even if a few people still don't get it!) and gary's record did play a role in getting pete to consider playing again i think

zero
Old 01-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

'Need your love so bad' was written by Little Willie John's brother, Mertis John, Jr.
Willie died in prison in about 1967; his brother is still alive (I think).

I am also having an Allman Brothers Band obsession; the SACD releases of "Live at Fillmore East" & "Eat A Peach" have been in my CD player more than any other disc the last year.

GJK
Old 01-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

I was just playing a bit of "Man of the world" on me gitfiddle. Its a beautiful melody, and the emotion in Peter's voice sends chills down my spine!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK
I am also having an Allman Brothers Band obsession; the SACD releases of "Live at Fillmore East" & "Eat A Peach" have been in my CD player more than any other disc the last year.
If you can find it (I downloaded my copy on-line using SoulSeek), there's a three-disc boot from their March 28, 2004 show at the Beacon Theatre...great sound quality and a 28 minute version of "Mountain Jam" that is "to die for". In the middle of it they tease into "Birdland" & "My Favorite Things"; really go into "deep jazz" mode. They covered The Band's "Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down" & Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic" at those shows (they had a horn section sit in on a few tunes)...sounded like they should've been ABB tunes all along. A killer version of "Southbound" as their first encore number. They were on fire that night. It was the first time I'd heard any live material from the Warren Haynes/Derek Trucks/Otiel Burbridge incarnation...WOW! The fire of the original lineup, for sure. Duane & Berry would be proud!