User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Mission accomplished! I figured we were on the same page, btw...
But Homer, I'd like to hear more about your responses & impressions of Christine's work, rather than superficial statements such as "so-and-so is great" etc.

Don't worry so much about people allegedly infiltrating this forum from other forums or other mind-boggling conspiracy theories. Let us hear your substantive impressions of Christine's craft or art -- whatever aspects you feel you want to discuss. I can't remember your doing that here (although you'd do so on Usenet). If someone held a gun to my head & told me to tell him why Homer/David likes McVie material or what aspects of it he likes, I couldn't do so. I'd wind up shot. Discuss Christine, Dave. Pick a song & try to describe the aspects that move you & groove you.

The Christine forum is a success only to the extent that WE DISCUSS CHRISTINE & generate interesting discussions & share considered opinions. Christine herself isn't here to make her forum a success. WE have to do it. Do you guys understand that concept? or is that beyond you?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-22-2005, 04:29 PM
ragandbone
This message has been deleted by ragandbone. Reason: don't want to distract from the discussion about the forum
Old 11-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Well, if y'all's goal is to push everyone else besides the fanatics away, you're doing a mighty fine job of it. I guess I should've figured out months ago that there's no point in trying to find a place or a way to fit in in this forum unless I love Christine and forsake all others, pretending she's some goddess. I'm not interested in watching grown people be reduced to whiny children who can't believe they're sharing their playground with the kids across the street at the mere sight of a "chiffonhead," or whatever the case may be. We can't be the least bit critical of ITM. Did it occur to no one that dontlookdown might be a Christine fan who simply doesn't like ITM?

I'm already at the end of my rope on other matters so I've about had it.

And at the end there? You brought Stevie into it. Just randomly. This wasn't even about her at all.
That stance in this forum is Christine's own worst enemy -- & so unlike the understated spirit & waggish elan that drive Christine herself -- but the promulgators refuse (or are unable) to see that. That attitude will turn this place into a ghost town, which is utterly antithetical to a message board.

Christine is all about DISCUSSION. Please continue to discuss Christine's work & life, Hillary. You have said so many interesting things in the past & I really hope you continue to do so.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Chill out. ALL I meant was that I DON'T come to Chris' forum to argue, and am not interested in doing such.
Well that's pretty bizarre, Dave, because an Internet message board is specifically designed for argument -- argument, debate, discussion. What are you supposed to do with a message board with no argument/debate/discussion? Wear it on your head?

Just what DO you come to Christine's forum for? What is it exactly that you want -- or hope -- to read ...if not opinions & discussion?

Stock ticker symbols?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 PM
GateandGarden
This message has been deleted by GateandGarden.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
And yes, i am a huge Christine fan, almost as much as i am a stevie fan. but where stevie is a exciting performer and artist, christine is not. Back in the day she was brilliant, but now in the 2000's, stevie can still bring out an almost brilliant album (TISL), but christine failed miserably with ITMT

Im sorry if i offended any hardcore CM fans, but i thought a new members view on this might be insightfull
Good point. IMO, none of FM's members are very good as solo acts, except for Stevie. Why? Because she is, as you said, an exciting performer. Now before everyone jumps on my back and yells at me for hinting that Christine and Lindsey may not be exciting, let me continue.

When Stevie joined the band, although many critics tended to praise Christine as the "saving grace" of FM, saying she had a "golden throat" (*cough*) dismissing Stevie's voice as... well, less than pleasant to listen to, but focusing on her enchanting stage presence. Which she had then, and continues to have today. What's the first thing that comes to most people's mind when they hear the name Fleetwood Mac? Stevie! What's the first thing that they think of when they think of Stevie? Most likely her whirling and twirling shawls. Presence.

Christine? Doesn't do much on stage. She's behind her piano (with a green cup ), and I think she's more comfortable there. I read somewhere she said something to the effect that for her to go out and do what Stevie does would be difficult for her. She'd feel uncomfortable, and she was sure Stevie probably wouldn't want to be stuck behind a piano all night. So, therefore, I think if anything, the only presence she has is that she's doin' the piano thing. I think a lot of it has to do with personality, too. Christine says she's very shy, and more of a musician than a performer. I see Stevie as the exact opposite.

Lindsey, same thing. He's never spun around in a gossamer shawl (though I would love to see him try), or tried to build up any sort of image. Although he obviously stands out more than shy John, I don't think there's much about him-- aside from his skills--that would distinguish him from everyone else.

I like some of Lindsey's solo work, and some of Christine's, but I think, because they haven't built up this persona, they get shoved to the back. Looking at the success either of them had, in terms of how many records were sold and whatnot, how many people were interested in them as solo artists alone? How about Stevie's success?

I think they all just happen to work extremely well as a group. They may not get on all the time, but when they're working, something happens: good music. IMO that's the chain (I know, I'm getting a bit cheesy here. No, I haven't been drinking) that keeps them together.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
IMO that's the chain (I know, I'm getting a bit cheesy here. No, I haven't been drinking) that keeps them together.
awwww...that is a little cheesy but so cute!

And I agree with what you said...very well put!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
awwww...that is a little cheesy but so cute!

And I agree with what you said...very well put!
*grin* Well, I'm glad someone liked it. Thank you.

... and I think I might need to have a drink now, after reading this thread in it's entirety!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
Good point. IMO, none of FM's members are very good as solo acts, except for Stevie. Why? Because she is, as you said, an exciting performer.
In terms of critical reception, Buckingham was actually the one in Fleetwood Mac who generally got the accolades as a live performer. He was incendiary on many an occasion, as flummoxed critics often noted in their reviews:

"Buckingham engaged in playful jams with bassist John McVie and generally moved about with the joy of a kid who had just been handed the keys to a toy store. ... Buckingham is the rocker, helping move the band from its old soft-rock focus to a more involving hard-rock approach. He, too, has blossomed as a performer, adopting a near primal scream urgency on key vocals." (L.A. Times 9-01-80)

"Buckingham displayed his newly found control of the group by dominating the performance both musically and energetically. Accompanied by his veteran band of Christine McVie on keyboards, John McVie on bass, Mick Fleetwood on drums, and Stevie Nicks on vocals and percussion, Buckingham made great progress toward returning the group to its status as one of the world's premier bands. ... It was, ultimately, Buckingham's show." (St. Petersburg Times 8-07-80)

"The noticeable switch is in the growing importance Buckingham plays in the front line. He has outmatched the witch-like stance of Nicks, and indeed, the Big Mac Attack now reads like the Stevie and Lindsey Show." (Honolulu Bulletin 3-28-80)

"Lindsey Buckingham moved through the entire concert with a vibrancy that moved into the crowd like cannon fire." (Birmingham News 8-13-80)

"Guitarist Lindsey Buckingham has emerged as the most frequent lead singer as well as the main musical force on stage." (Omaha World Herald 8-22-80)

"It was Buckingham's show at the beginning of the tour, and, if anything, he was more commanding at the end. Dressed in a ten-gallon hat, boots and a white V-neck T-shirt of Beverly Hills cowboy, he was simply spectacular onstage. He dominated the band as completely as any human being could ever dominate drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie -- one of the most cohesive and potent rhythm sections in rock." (Rolling Stone 10-30-80)

"It was down to Lindsey Buckingham to move the band into anything approaching strenuous action. ... He's funny, a treat to watch, and he makes the band earn its supper keeping up with him." (New Music Express 12-01-79)

"The quintet apparently has given the reins on stage to Lindsey Buckingham, the singer and guitarist whose music mixes forceful -- and urgent -- emotional touches with a playful eccentricity that is underscored by his quick marches around the stage that are reminiscent of a windup toy." (Los Angeles Times 10-20-82)

And did you read any of the reviews of his 1993 solo tour? Here's a typical example:

"Comeback or debut, Buckingham's concert was confident, energized, accomplished, wide-ranging and surprising. Heck, as long as we're slinging modifiers, why not go all the way? As comebacks and/or debuts go, this one was triumphant." (Los Angeles Times 12-12-92)

Point being that Buckingham was known & admired for being a winning & exciting performer, albeit by a much smaller number of people.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
In terms of critical reception, Buckingham was actually the one in Fleetwood Mac who generally got the accolades as a live performer.....
Did you see the part where I said "IMO"?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but when it comes to record sales... the audience size depends on whether or not the artist will succeed. And sadly, that's how success seems to be gauged in the music industry. Especially when it comes to artists who have gone solo after being part of a group.

I like Lindsey, and I enjoyed Soundstage and love listening to the GoS demos, but I prefer him with FM.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bekka Rocks!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Bekka Rocks!
...On Faith Hill's CD's...
Old 11-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bekka Rocks!
Damn Straight!

I love Time <3333333.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Bekka Rocks!
I swear it's Bekka singing in the new Applebee's commercial... and I'm not saying that to be a wise-ass.
It sounds just like her.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I swear it's Bekka singing in the new Applebee's commercial... and I'm not saying that to be a wise-ass.
It sounds just like her.
how dare you come here and say that!!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
how dare you come here and say that!!!!
I figured it was safer to say here than on the Bekka Forum.
Oh, yeah, wait a minute.....
Old 11-22-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I figured it was safer to say here than on the Bekka Forum.
Oh, yeah, wait a minute.....
hahah!!!