GJK
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
What does this mean? A private thing?

Thanks,
GJK

Just meaning once I heard Rumours I was hooked.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like all of Stevie and Christine's Tusk songs- in fact, I think they're some of the very best from both of them. But I hate Lindsey's songs, and Lindsey is my favorite. I'm not fond of the music anyway, but lyrics are also important to me, I understand all of them and they were all directed at Stevie. I think during the Tusk era he had absolutely lost his freaking mind. To me, he was just a hair short of straight-jacket crazy and his Tusk performances prove it. Sorry, I do love him overall, that's my opinion.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk is an album that has aged well over time, like a fine wine. It is certainly more respected and understood now than when it first came out, and confounded everyone's expectations. The public expected a repeat of Rumours, but Lindsey was inspired by the punk scene of that time, and wanted to challenge the norm.

Like many others who bought the album, I was a bit challenged by the somewhat radical departure of the music. The package itself was very intriguing - an austere and elusive cover, with sleeves in sleeves, featuring some bizarre photos. Stevie's songs were the most appealing to me, Christine's songs seemed a bit too thin, and Lindsey's songs were just too out there. The reviews and critics were not kind. Even Stevie made some negative comments about it.

However, over time, in the context of their history, Tusk has emerged as one of the most creative and bold albums ever made. It's their Beatles "White" album. Everything I disliked about it then is what I love about it now!

Lindsey had the balls to break reins and shatter conventions. He got flack for it, and was even a little bit contrite about it at times. But over the decades, people have come to view this work in a very different light. It's nice that so many songs from the album have been performed:

Over and Over
Think About Me
Brown Eyes
Sisters of the Moon
Storms
Beautiful Child
Sara
Angel
Tusk
That's Enough for Me (once!)
Not That Funny
What Makes You Think Your the One
The Ledge (rehearsal only)
Save Me a Place
I Know I'm Not Wrong

On the upcoming tour, I hope they don't glut the set list with Rumours songs, and leave room for some never/rarely performed Tusk songs. How cool would it be to hear the other songs performed:

The Ledge
That's All For Everyone
That's Enough For Me
Walk a Thin Line
Never Make Me Cry
Never Forget
Honey Hi

They should do another Tusk tour, and perform the entire album. Some other groups have done that. In my dreams there will be a Tusk box set with alternate mixes, outtakes, live performances, a DVD packed with videos, interviews and live footage, and a coffee table-like book with tons of photos, articles, comments, assessments, recollections etc...

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-27-2014 at 12:37 AM..
Old 06-27-2014, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk is my favorite Fleetwood Mac record! It was ego. It was excess. It was art. It was genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Even Stevie made some negative comments about it.
Stevie has "waffled" about this album for YEARS!!! When they were doing initial interviews for this album, she said it was their "masterpiece". Yet just three years later, she said that the album was "indulgent" and couldn't wait to get back to the Rumours sound, a la "Mirage". I still can't understand her logic there. Cocaine induced comments.

In any event, as much as I am dismayed over the ticket prices for this new tour, I feel I must at least buy a "nose bleed" seat in the very back row...just so that I might hear "Brown Eyes" (since Christine keeps alluding to the fact that they might play it) or any Tusk song they just happen to surprise us with.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
What does this mean? A private thing?

Thanks,
GJK
hahahahahahahahahahahaha x100
Old 06-27-2014, 03:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't find a fault in Tusk - I love all the songs and their running order. Its quirky, fun, dark, sad and deeply moving. For Lindsey, Stevie and Christine some of their best songs are on this album - its just a wonderful, wonderful collection of songs from the three of them.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Like the Beatles' White album you do wonder what Tusk could have been like as a single album...
...you pick out what you perceive to be the best songs and make what you think is a nice arrangement. You step back and inspect the single Tusk album. But then you realize there's something missing...it just doesn't work.

I've done this a lot. No matter which songs I include and no matter which arrangement I come up with a single album feels weak. Common sense states that the best 12 or so from 20 should be the cream of the crop. However, without everything included they just don't play coherently.
It's only at this point that I look back and appreciate the album as a whole. It needs those odd Lindsey moments to bring out the subtle qualities in the more mainstream songs.

That said I do wonder what it would have been like if some of those numbers were just a bit more mainstream... just a bit more Mick and a bit less shoe-box and biscuit tin (and if Lindsey just sang without the funny voices). I know there are plenty of people who think 'sacrilege- the quirkiness is what makes those songs'. I understand this, and I appreciate the odd sounds and as I said, its these moments that complete the album... I just cant help but wonder...

Tusk is not perfect but its damned interesting.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
I think during the Tusk era he had absolutely lost his freaking mind. To me, he was just a hair short of straight-jacket crazy and his Tusk performances prove it. Sorry, I do love him overall, that's my opinion.
In my opinion it was the most brilliant set of songs he ever did. Close to insanity. When he is at is best.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk is perfect because it is flawed in musically intriguing ways. It's an off-balance, asymmetrical record, sort of like an enormous concrete sculpture held up by the tiniest pin--or something. It doesn't feel like a coherent statement: rather a series of statements which add up to something approaching an attitude.

It continues to baffle. And that is oddly pleasing.

For what it's worth, I get very similar thoughts when I listen to Then Play On.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a review of a festival in Newcastle, Lee Etherington's Tusk Festival ]

The Quietus.com by Stewart Smith , October 16th,

http://thequietus.com/articles/16492...al-report-tusk

I'd rather Jeck, than Fleetwood Mac

Excuse the atrocious pun on The Reynold Girls' cheeky pop favourite, but it seems apt given Phillip Jeck's turntable, laptop and sampler based reconstruction of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. Yes, he went there, but happily, what could have been a glib novelty set yields sublime results. A watery piano ushers in the unmistakable cocaine and honey tones of Stevie Nicks: "Beautiful child..."

Jeck works over the phrase, repeating it, modulating it and layering it so it goes in and out of phase. Gradually, he introduces other parts of the song, their delayed entry deepening the ache. As a huge fan of Tusk, I'm fascinated and moved by Jeck's artful and sensitive bricolage. The echoes and vinyl crackles intensify the torpid emotions beneath the music's luminous textures, highlighting Nicks' oft-overlooked brilliance as a lyricist: "Your eyes say yes, but you don't say yes." As the set progresses, Jeck weaves in phantasmal vocals and Fender Rhodes from Christine McVie's 'Brown Eyes' spiral into the ether, and a spindly guitar is isolated from Nicks' gorgeous 'Storms'.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[So, Mick is just like, "Hey, Lindsey write a song with a marching band, pronto!"]

[Excerpt]

The 10 best bands in college football

By: Alan Siegel, USA TODAY SportsOctober 23, 2014 1:39 pm

http://college.usatoday.com/2014/10/...lege-football/

“Mick Fleetwood, the drummer, the head of the group, he was in Germany touring. One of the German brass bands marched by the window [of his hotel] and when he came back to the United States, he decided that he wanted a marching band on his next album. Believe it or not, he called the band office directly and said, ‘Would you guys be interested in being on our next album? We’re gonna write a tune especially involving the band.’ He got his guitarist, Lindsey Buckingham, to write the tune, ‘Tusk.’ We went into the studio, and I went in with my arranger, and my drum guy, we fleshed out the tune. And they laid down a track.”

“And we went into Dodger Stadium of all places and we recorded — the full band — that track, to give the ambiance of a marching band. And four months later I’m driving to school and then I hear on the radio, ‘Here’s Fleetwood Mac’s latest hit, featuring the USC marching band.’ I mean I was like, ‘Whoaaa.’”

“Over the years we have stayed in touch. They’ve been down to our halftime show, we’ve been to their concerts, I’ve talked to Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham … and I’ve gotten Mick some tickets for football games. So yeah, through the years we’ve stayed in touch. I mean, they made the band famous with a whole different group of people. So why not?”
Old 10-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
The package itself was very intriguing - an austere and elusive cover, with sleeves in sleeves, featuring some bizarre photos. .
I loved the packaging, but never understood why they didn't provide a lyric sheet. It took me forever to figure out "blue calm sea" on Storms.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMagic View Post
4. Christine, Lindsey and Stevie has their best work songwriting-wise on the album. Especially Christine who honestly I did dismiss at first. But on this album her songs have some teeth to them. As does Stevie's. Sister of The Moon beats Gold Dust Woman for me any day of the week. Lindsey's is just sheer genius. His non-specific surreal, subject matter adds to over-all quality of songs.
You lost me on this one. I think Christine came up short on this album.

Christine's role has always been to provide the really poppy, hook laden songs to add to Nicks' mysticism and Buckingham's off-kilter brilliance. On every album of the BuckinghamNicks Mac she comes through with at least two really radio friendly songs: "Over My Head" and "Say You Love Me" (white album), "Don't Stop" and "You Make Lovin' Fun" (Rumours), "Hold Me" and "Love In Store" (Mirage), "Little Lies" and "Everywhere" (Tango).

But on Tusk we have "Think About Me" as the catchiest of her songs, and even that one is not as pop-oriented as the songs listed above. That's not to say that it isn't *good*...I think it's a great song, along with "Brown Eyes". But she just didn't provide the big radio songs for Tusk like she did the other albums:
"Brown Eyes" is *awesome* but it's an atmospheric album track, not a single.
"Never Make Me Cry" is too subdued to make it on radio.
"Never Forget" is a nice, bouncy song but not substantial enough to be a radio hit.
"Over & Over" has a nice smokey vibe but again way too subdued to make it on radio. No real hook here.
"Honey Hi" is a grower. I actually really disliked it when I first got Tusk back in 1979, but its grown on me since then basically because of the gorgeous vocals on it. But still, not radio friendly.

Now, I'll give you that one can consider these to be good songs, absolutely. But they aren't the radio pop songs that, IMO, Tusk kind of needed. Tusk is a class, brilliant album, and it has Nicks' best songs ever because Nicks did what Mac needs Nicks to do: Be the long-winded, mystical, personality-driven goddess. Buckingham came through too with amazing songs that were way ahead of their time: "Tusk" was the weirdest, best top 10 hit of 1979, "I Know I'm Not Wrong" sounds today like it should have been a hit back then, and the production on "That's All For Everyone" is breathtaking.

But Mac needs McVie to provide the radio friendly pop and on Tusk she just didn't.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Like the Beatles' White album you do wonder what Tusk could have been like as a single album...
...you pick out what you perceive to be the best songs and make what you think is a nice arrangement. You step back and inspect the single Tusk album. But then you realize there's something missing...it just doesn't work.

I've done this a lot. No matter which songs I include and no matter which arrangement I come up with a single album feels weak. Common sense states that the best 12 or so from 20 should be the cream of the crop. However, without everything included they just don't play coherently.
It's only at this point that I look back and appreciate the album as a whole. It needs those odd Lindsey moments to bring out the subtle qualities in the more mainstream songs.

That said I do wonder what it would have been like if some of those numbers were just a bit more mainstream... just a bit more Mick and a bit less shoe-box and biscuit tin (and if Lindsey just sang without the funny voices). I know there are plenty of people who think 'sacrilege- the quirkiness is what makes those songs'. I understand this, and I appreciate the odd sounds and as I said, its these moments that complete the album... I just cant help but wonder...

Tusk is not perfect but its damned interesting.
You have a point here. I think with more production "I Know I'm Not Wrong" could have been a hit.