User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
Interesting...not one person on the other board you posted to mentioned anything about your mother's gramatically skills, her geological intelligence, and/or her lack of reference material.

Caitlin, the fact that your mother created the petition with the hope of gathering enough signatures for submission to various legislative branches in an effort to give voice to the inhumane treatment of animals (horses) is commendable. And, I think it is cool that you want to help your mom out in putting it out there in an effort to obtain signatures from those you know.

Keep up the good work, let your mom know how many states there are, and let her know of the spelling errors. If she fixes them, the effort could be more successful in that people won't shred the obvious errors and be leary of signing.

Good luck!

Maybe people on that "other board" PM'd her and pointed out the mistakes?

I think the rest of your post is excellent. I like how you showed support for her intentions but also pointed out the mistakes. The way you approached it was very classy. :;>. )

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 09-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Für Elise View Post
I don't know what board you're talking about but I guess that relflects more on those members than it does on the people here who've raised practical point

Perhaps those members PM'd her privately and pointed out the mistakes?

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 09-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I was over in France and eating at a resturant in Paris, there was this item on the menu called Cheval. I asked the waiter what that was and he was "Horse." I was like I think I'll pass...
Old 09-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok my mom FINALLY re-did it. And no one on the other board has PMed me about my mom's mistakes before. But here is the new link....

http://www.petitiononline.com/hrosmdgs/petition.html

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 09-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Für Elise View Post
would it be ok if the horses were eaten after being shot? I think people would be even more outraged then.
Um, you missed my point--that many of us eat beef and dont think about the fact that those animals were once alive The difference is what the animals are RAISED for, be it food or some other purpose. Are these horses bound for the glue factory for some reason? (disease, old age, not fit for any purpose due to injury)

Yes people are outraged about this because we tend to think of Horses as companions, work animals, sport animals etc. We dont tend to think of them as food because we havent traditionally eaten them. However, I recall reading somewhere that horse meat is used in pet food so they ARE used for food domestically.

In any event, (and I dont know if this was already posted yet or not) there IS legislation in the works to ban this practice of exporting the meat for food:

Quote:

House Amendment May Signal End of Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption

June 9, 2005

The House of Representatives' decision on Wednesday to approve an amendment halting taxpayer support of horse slaughterhouses could put an end to the practice of killing American horses for human consumption abroad. The House overwhelmingly approved the amendment to its Agriculture appropriations bill in a 269-158 vote.

Known as the Sweeney-Spratt-Rahall-Whitfield amendment, the measure may effectively put an end to the slaughter of American horses for food by stipulating that U.S. tax dollars can no longer be used to fund U.S. Department of Agriculture inspections of horse slaughter plants or to approve the export of horses slated for slaughter outside the nation's borders. Passage of a similar measure championed by Sen. John Ensign (R-NV) in the Senate would spell the end of horse slaughter for food in the United States.

"The 109th Congress is off to a galloping start for animal welfare, and we thank lawmakers for recognizing that horses have a special place in our country," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The HSUS.

Passage of the amendment as part of the Agriculture appropriations bill means that USDA inspectors would no longer visit the three remaining U.S. plants that slaughter horses for food. It also means that USDA inspectors would no longer approve the export of horses destined for slaughter.

But in effect, the measure would halt the slaughter of American horses entirely. Without the benefit of USDA approval, horse meat intended for foreign consumers will be unable to reach overseas markets. Most human consumption of horsemeat takes place in Italy, Japan, France and Belgium, where it is considered a culinary delicacy. Ferdinand, winner of the 1986 Kentucky Derby, was slaughtered in Japan in in 2002.

A Long Battle

The funding limitation amendment, offered by Reps. John Sweeney (R-NY), John Spratt (D-SC), Ed Whitfield (R-KY) and Nick Rahall (D-VA), marks the first major legislative victory in a years-long struggle to ban the slaughter of American horses for food.

Bills to ban the slaughter of horses for human consumption were introduced in the last few Congressional sessions. Legislation known as the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act was introduced in 2002, 2003, and 2004, but each time failed to reach the floor for a vote. Last year's bill, H.R. 857, enjoyed the support of 228 members of the House. Earlier this year, legislation to ban horse slaughter in the United States—H.R. 503—was again introduced by Reps. Sweeney and Spratt.

Numerous states, including Arizona, Connecticut, Illinois, New Mexico and New York also considered bills to ban horse slaughter this year. California banned horse slaughter for human consumption in 1998.

So why the need for a ban?

There are three plants that currently slaughter horses for human consumption in the United States, and all of them are foreign-owned. BelTex Corporation in Ft. Worth, Texas and Dallas Crown in Kaufman, Texas, export horsemeat to France and Belgium, respectively. A third plant, Cavel International in DeKalb, Illinois, was shut down in 2002 and subsequently reopened. Last year, a legislative effort spearheaded by Illinois State Rep. Bob Molaro to ban the slaughter of horses in Illinois before the Cavel plant reopened failed.

According to the USDA, more than two million horses have been slaughtered in USDA-approved slaughter plants since 1989. An estimated 90,000 American horses are slaughtered for food each year, about two-thirds of them at BelTex, Dallas Crown, and Cavel.

The conditions at horse slaughterhouses are notorious. Amid deafening noises and the stench of blood, workers have been known to beat horses around the neck, head, backs and legs in order to move the animals into the "kill box," all of which causes fear responses in the horses. What's more, federal regulations still permit horses to be transported in crowded, dangerous, double-deck trailers, where the animals may languish for more than 24 hours without food or water.

Under federal law, horses are required to be rendered unconscious prior to slaughter, usually with a device called a captive bolt gun, which shoots a metal rod into the horse's brain. Some horses, however, are improperly stunned and may still be conscious when they are hoisted by a rear leg to have their throats cut.

"This inhumane and disgusting practice, which only serves to promote animal cruelty, needs to be brought to an end," said Sweeney. "Support for this legislation is stronger than ever, and I look forward to the day when the American horse no longer ends up on a dinner plate overseas."

'A Truly American Icon'

The horse slaughter issue attracted more attention this year after Sen. Conrad Burns (R-MT) quietly slipped an amendment into an omnibus spending bill last December. When President Bush signed the bill into law that same month, the Bureau of Land Management was allowed to start selling certain wild horses, a reversal of a 34-year-old ban on the commercial sale and slaughter of wild free-roaming horses and burros.

On May 19 the House took the first step in attempting to restore the law that Burns surreptiously gutted by approving an amendment prohibiting the BLM from using any of its budget to sell wild horses and burros to commercial interests, who can then resell the animals to slaughterhouses. That decision came too late for 41 wild horses sent to slaughter in April, but was pivotal in solidifying Congressional opposition to killing animals that best symbolize the American West.

Growing constituent concern for protecting horses, both domesticated and wild, is a driving force behind the latest push to ban their slaughter. In recent weeks, Congressional offices have twice been flooded with phone calls and e-mails from constituents in support of the two amendments, something that gives hope to animal advocates as they turn their attention to passage of a more definitive legislative package to ban horse slaughter. H.R. 503 already boasts more than 100 bipartisan cosponsors in the House, and Sen. Ensign is expected to introduce a bill to ban horse slaughter in the Senate soon.

"Sweeney-Spratt-Rahall-Whitfield was a critical legislative battle in the struggle to protect horses," said Nancy Perry, vice president of Government Affairs for The HSUS. "The positive House vote on the amendment reflects widespread constituent support for a ban on the slaughter of horses, and paves the way for more comprehensive legislation to pass in both chambers."

"Americans clearly don't want these beloved companions ending up on someone's plate in Europe," notes Mike Markarian, HSUS executive vice president for External Affairs. "We're glad that the issue is out in the open now, and that Congress is listening."

Rep. Rahall, one of the amendment's sponsors, called the horse "a truly American icon."

"If you've grown up with and ridden horses as I have, you develop an affinity for these special creatures," added Rep. Spratt.

What You Can Do

Click here to find out how your representative voted. If your representative voted "Aye," please thank him or her for protecting our horses; if your representative voted "No," please let him or her know how disappointed you are.

Please also contact your two U.S. senators, and urge them to support Sen. John Ensign's bill to ban horse slaughter for human consumption when it is introduced.

To identify your federal legislators and learn how to contact them, visit our elected official lookup page.

If you would like to help The HSUS do even more to protect horses and pass other animal protection laws, please make a donation.

Copyright © 2006 The Humane Society of the United States. All rights reserved.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_relate...slaughter.html
Old 09-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

here is a link to a more current article:
Congress holds Hearings on Horse Slaughter

Quote:
Supporters and opponents of a proposed ban on slaughtering horses for human consumption gathered on Capitol Hill in late July for a round of hearings on the merits of the controversial legislation.

With a little more than 200 co-sponsors in the House, the American Horse Slaughter Protection Act (H.R. 503) has strong bipartisan support. Many consider it to be a protective measure for the estimated 90,000 horses slaughtered for food annually in the United States.

For years, horsemeat has been exported for human consumption to countries such as France, Belgium, and Japan. This past year, the United States shipped approximately 18,000 tons of horsemeat valued at $61 million, according to the bill's sponsor, Rep. John Sweeney of New York.

Sweeney's legislation also aims to end transporting horses outside the country for the same purposes. Senator John Ensign, a veterinarian from Nevada, has introduced similar legislation in the Senate.

Sweeney was one of several people testifying before the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection on July 25 about the legislation, which has failed to gain congressional approval since its inception in 2001. A second hearing was held July 27 before the House Agriculture Committee.

"The time has come for this legislation to be considered. Not only do a vast majority of members of Congress support my efforts, but a majority of Americans do as well," Sweeney said.

"The fact remains that, to Americans, the horse is held to a different standard ... Everyone knows who Mr. Ed, Secretariat, and Silver are. I dare anyone to name a list of famous cattle or chickens," he said. "They are American icons that deserve to be treated as such."

Horses and other equids are domestic animals that are used primarily for recreation, pleasure, and sport, Sweeney added. Unlike cows, pigs, and other animals, horses and other equids are not raised for the purpose of being slaughtered to be eaten by people, he said.

Even though the American Horse Slaughter Protection Act is not lacking for support, both in Congress and with the public, no small number of detractors have lined up to defeat the legislation.

The AVMA, American Association of Equine Practitioners, American Quarter Horse Association, and more than 140 other horse, animal health, and agriculture organizations say that, while well-intentioned, Sweeney's bill fails to address the welfare of the thousands of horses that, for various reasons, are no longer wanted by their owners.

Former AVMA president, Dr. Bonnie V. Beaver, explained to the House subcommittee that rescue and retirement facilities in the United States currently have a total maximal capacity of some 6,000 horses. It would be a daunting, and probably impossible, task to create enough facilities to house an additional 10 times that number of horses, Dr. Beaver observed.

"The (bill)," she said, "does not provide the financial support required to ensure that horses given up by their owners are adequately cared for, and inadequate funding has a huge potential to create opportunities for inadequate care.

"Watching a horse slowly die from starvation or disease is not only distressing, it's cruel. Furthermore, horse retirement facilities and sanctuaries are not regulated, so there is no way to ensure the horses living there will receive adequate care."

Dr. Douglas Corey, AAEP president-elect, explained to the House subcommittee that the AAEP does not believe slaughter to be an ideal solution for addressing the nation's large number of unwanted horses. Humane euthanasia by captive bolt at a federally regulated facility is, however, an acceptable alternative to a life of suffering, poor care, or abandonment, Dr. Corey noted.

"Nobody likes or truly wants to see a horse euthanized, but when care is poor, horses suffer, owner neglect and abuse is evident, (and) euthanasia at a processing plant is a humane option," Dr. Corey said.

Opponents of the legislation sought to use the hearing as a chance to correct misconceptions about the U.S. horse slaughter industry. Richard Koehler, vice president of Beltex Corporation, which operates one of three horse slaughter facilities in the United States, said his industry is grossly misrepresented by the animal rights community.

What the public doesn't realize is that slaughter plants are an important part of the nation's $40 billion horse industry, according to Koehler. For instance, the plants provide horsemeat to U.S. zoos and are a leading source for equine pericardia for human heart surgery.

Koehler also raised the issue of what to do with the thousands of unwanted horses if the plants were to close. A horse trader who cannot get a baseline guarantee on the price of a horse is not going to take a chance buying a low-value animal, and that animal will be left with an owner who has no buyers and no options, he explained.

"How do you think most people are going to treat that unwanted animal?" Koehler asked. "The animals—the horses that H.R. 503 advocates are trying to protect—will clearly suffer then."

This argument has force, countered Russell Williams, part owner of Hanover Shoe Farms, only if one assumes that horse slaughter is humanely carried out.

"Such an argument does not mean that slaughter is part of any humane solution to the problem of unwanted horses. It means only that slaughter is a more acceptable evil than the alternative," said Williams, who called on Congress to pass H.R. 503 and put an end to horse slaughter in the United States.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee discharged the bill without a vote. The House Agriculture Committee amended the bill and voted 37-3 to report the bill to the full House unfavorably with a recommendation not to pass. The bill is scheduled to be taken up by the full House on Sept. 7, 2006. The Senate version, S. 1915, remains in the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.
–R. SCOTT NOLEN
Personally, If I really wanted to make a difference in this issue, I would align myself with some of these high profile groups (such as the Humane Society (laws/legislation page) or the United States Equine Sanctuary and Rescue or the International Fund for Horses among others) who have lobbyists in place in the Capital. I dont see how an independent petition (though well meaning) can really make a difference. I know this because I once went that route with my crusade against child molesters. Even though I got a respectable number of signatures, it went nowhere because I didnt have any top level connections to funnel it to. IMO, Its just not a realistic approach for a solution unfortunately.

Last edited by irishgrl; 09-04-2006 at 01:22 PM..
Old 09-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default from The Human Society of the United States

It looks as though this issue is already going before congress this Thurs so the way to take action is to call your house rep:

Support H.R. 503, the Horse Slaughter Prevention Act

National Call-In Day for Horses is tomorrow! A vote on the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act (H.R. 503) is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 7. Your help is needed to permanently move American horses beyond the reach of slaughterhouse butchers.

Last year, almost 100,000 American horses suffered and died in the United States in foreign-owned slaughterhouses so that their flesh could be flown to Europe and Asia for human consumption. We must send a clear signal to the world that our horses are not here to be slaughtered for food and we do not want them on the chopping block for foreign diners.

Here's what you can do to help:

1. Make the call Sept. 6. Call your U.S. Representative, via the Congressional switchboard at (202) 224-3121. If you're not sure what to say, try this: "I am a constituent and I am calling to ask that the Representative please protect American horses from slaughter and support H.R. 503, the Horse Slaughter Prevention Act. I also urge you to oppose any amendments to H.R. 503. I am very concerned about American horses and I don't want them slaughtered."

2. Let us know you called. Follow up your phone calls by letting us know you called to support the end of horse slaughter in the United States.

Please take both steps! We must light up the phones in the Capitol because there already is very vigorous lobbying by the slaughter industry and its allies. We must counter them at every turn.

Please encourage your friends and family to make the call, too. Your calls will not only make a difference, they will help make history. Help us end horse slaughter in the United States forever.

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle
President & CEO
The Humane Society of the United States

WARNING: This video is pretty graphic.

http://www.hsus.org/video_clips/keep...table_and.html

One of these slaughter houses made 12 mil and only paid 5 dollars in taxes according to the video linked above.

Last edited by SuzeQuze; 09-06-2006 at 07:14 AM..
Old 09-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yeah-they sent post cards to all members of the humane society of the US and asked for signatures and then they would mail them. I sent mine already!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The ban passed in the house!

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...532672,00.html
Old 09-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation That's good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze View Post
figured it would.

Here is an article I read this morning in the Daily Oklahoman newspaper, since this bill will have a major impact on the Oklahoma economy (Since the state economy realizes heavily upon the Horsing industry) :

"Horse slaughter draws mixed views"

By Chad Previch
The Oklahoman

As Congress prepares to vote in Washington on horse slaughtering, those in the heartland have expressed everything from outrage to understanding on the practice.

A vote in the House might occur as early as today on the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, which would prohibit the shipping of horses to be slaughtered for human consumption.

The debate could come down to emotion, rather than rational thinking, said Cindy Chilton-Moore, general manager for the Palomino Horse Breeders Association in Tulsa.

"We're wanting to know what's going to be done with those unwanted horses," Chilton-Moore said. "Will they be neglected? Will they starve to death? The legislation as it's written does not address what will be the end result of those horses."

The bill would amend the Horse Protection Act to "prohibit the shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving, possessing, purchasing, selling, or donation of horses and other equines to be slaughtered for human consumption, and for other purposes."

Concerned about restrictive language
Chilton-Moore said she supports the spirit of the bill but is concerned that its language will restrict moving horses for horse shows. She said there are between 80,000 and 90,000 horses slaughtered in the United States yearly.

There are two slaughterhouses in Texas and one in Illinois. Chilton-Moore said when California passed a similar ban, five slaughterhouses were built in Mexico.

She's said she's sure those numbers will increase and is concerned because "we can't legislate other countries' methods.

"It's an emotional issue, but we've got to have some conclusion to what's going to happen to those horses."

David Patterson, spokesman for the National Reining Horse Association in Oklahoma City, said his group is not for or against the bill.

"It's the horse owner's right to do whatever he needs to do with his horse or to his horse," he said. "They have a right to choose. It's his own business."

Horse owner Ralph Hale of Oklahoma City said he is strongly against slaughtering horses for consumption.

"That is repulsive," he said. "Beef is one thing. But equine consumption is just kind of wrong. Disgusting. I'm sure that they do it in other countries but we have beef and enough cows in the United States to support the eating habits of Americans."

Owners can control the horse population by separating males and females in pastures, Hale said.

Even oilman Boone Pickens entered the fray. He sponsored a series of full-page ads in newspapers across the United States, including USA Today, supporting the bill. The ads asked the public to contact lawmakers to urge support for the bill.

Illegal in many states
According to The National Horse Protection Coalition, slaughtering for human consumption is illegal in many states, but foreign-owned companies process horse meat by using federal loopholes. In 2005, they sent 39.5 million pounds of horse meat to France, Belgium and Japan for human consumption.

Congress attempted to stop slaughtering of horses last year. Slaughterhouses can't operate without inspections by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and Congress voted to prevent the USDA from spending funds for inspections.

But in February, the USDA essentially sidestepped Congress by announcing that slaughterhouses could pay for the inspections.

Wayne Pacelle, president of The Humane Society of the United States, wants Congress to pass the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act.

"Killing horses for export for human consumption is unnecessary and inhumane, and it is long overdue that the Congress put an end to this practice," he said in a statement. "Horse slaughter is not a question of property rights, but a matter of personal responsibility and public standards in the care of animals."

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

now on to the Senate yes?

on another note (and off topic) My mom told me that Monkey Boy signed the Adam Walsh bill into law today. Child Molesters everywhere better be shiverin in their timbers.