Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.silive.com/entertainment/...son_squar.html

By Ken Paulsen/Staten Island Advance on April 09, 2013

Staten Island Live

Of course Fleetwood Mac performed the favorites -- "Dreams," "Go Your Own Way," "Rhiannon" and "Landslide" drew roars of approval from Monday's sellout crowd at Madison Square Garden.

But one reason why the band endures is the musicianship at its core -- its ability to take lesser-known tracks and make sure you don't even think of leaving your seat. (I couldn't leave if I wanted to: A seat Nazi at my end of a long row made it clear she wasn't moving for anyone, for any reason.)

On a night filled with her distinctive, raspy vocals, Stevie Nicks' prowess was perhaps best noticed on "Sisters of the Moon," a "Tusk" track that hasn't played live since the late 1970s. As the song built to its climax, her vocals only intensified in their raw emotion.

"I'm So Afraid," a bluesy number from the band's 1975 self-titled album, is unknown to pop audiences, but front man Lindsey Buckingham matched Nicks when he howled its haunting lyrics. He topped it off with an extended, blistering guitar solo that was a highlight of the night.

It was one example of Buckingham's extraordinary versatility. On a rearrangement of "Never Going Back Again," from "Rumours," he slowed the pace to a crawl and a whisper. That contrasts with his live take on 1987's lushly produced "Big Love," which on Monday was stripped down to a man ferociously strumming his acoustic guitar while voicing his anxiety over romantic entanglements.

One such entanglement, a decade earlier, was famously with Nicks, and provided much of the tension that made "Rumours" such a global smash. On the moments when the two connected Monday night -- a lingering glance, a brief touch -- the crowd went wild.

The band's namesake members, John McVie on bass and Mick Fleetwood on drums, yielded the spotlight most of the night while providing the rhythm that let Buckingham and Nicks shine. McVie and Fleetwood sparkled during "The Chain" -- McVie with his signature bass solo and Fleetwood with his relentless pounding on the drums as the song reached its frenetic close.

Christine McVie, the keyboardist and songstress behind "Say You Love Me," "You Make Loving Fun," "Little Lies," and "Hold Me," has amicably left the band and declined overtures to join the tour. Despite the Garden show's success -- including Nicks singing McVie's lines in "Don't Stop," her presence in the band is irreplaceable.

Other standout moments:

"Silver Springs," which a jilted Nicks wrote about Buckingham, but which was left off "Rumours," was a mostly unknown track until it was played during the band's 1997 concerts. Now it has become a fan favorite.

"Sad Angel" was introduced as the fourth song in the set, and will be featured on the band's upcoming EP. It's a fast paced tune that features Buckingham and Nicks singing in harmony. It sounds fresh but familiar, and was well received by the crowd.

An electric version of Nicks' "Stand Back" was the only solo song performed at the show.

Rather than close on the high note of "Don't Stop" -- perhaps an obvious choice -- Buckingham and Nicks opted for "Say Goodbye," the lone track performed from 2003's "Say You Will." Before nearly complete silence, the duo professed their enduring affection for each other with the night's final lyrics: "Once you said goodbye to me // Now I say goodbye to you."
Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's wink in the beginning is killing me.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://according2g.com/2013/04/video...fleetwood-mac/

According 2G

Video: “I’m So Afraid” live by Fleetwood Mac

Posted by The G on April 12, 2013 under G Videos
HD Video by G.

Lindsey Buckingham is a rock god. This video will prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he is one of the greatest guitar players of all time. This particular song is what keeps me coming back to see Fleetwood Mac tour after tour because… well, you will see.

Enjoy an amazing performance of “I’m So Afraid” live by Fleetwood Mac on April 8, 2013 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Enjoy an amazing performance of “I’m So Afraid” live by Fleetwood Mac on April 8, 2013 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

That audience response brought tears to my eyes when I think about NYC on their feet cheering for Lindsey.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Thanks for your review, juniper! I've been watching the clips on YouTube. Stevie does indeed sound more confident. I thought "Gypsy" was amazing!

I compiled the videos that have been posted here.
Thank you Daniel. I just finished watching these videos. What a treat they fed New York. I agree with your opinion about Gypsy. I think the video of GDW you have listed as front row view is missing though.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Thanks Daniel for your hard work putting the vids together.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
That audience response brought tears to my eyes when I think about NYC on their feet cheering for Lindsey.
"New York make me a part of you"

I worry sometimes with ISA that people who aren't massive Lindsey fans don't always appreciate the long solo, but NYC certainly did - great to see!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
"New York make me a part of you"

I worry sometimes with ISA that people who aren't massive Lindsey fans don't always appreciate the long solo, but NYC certainly did - great to see!
nothing to worry about! ISA as it's done know is definitely a highlight and a culmination of every show, everybody's is standing in owe and appreciation. you will experience it if/when you are at one of the shows, and you can read it in almost every review.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
nothing to worry about! ISA as it's done know is definitely a highlight and a culmination of every show, everybody's is standing in owe and appreciation. you will experience it if/when you are at one of the shows, and you can read it in almost every review.
Aww that's so great to read, thank you
Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
nothing to worry about! ISA as it's done now is definitely a highlight and a culmination of every show, everybody's is standing in owe and appreciation. you will experience it if/when you are at one of the shows, and you can read it in almost every review.
Actually, at every FM show in the United States and probably elsewhere too, Lindsey has always brought the house down with this song(ISA).
Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

True, but I'd argue that this time around (considering Fleetwood Mac shows and Lindsey's solo tour), the staging and lighting really emphasized the impact of the song. I've seen it live before and watched Lindsey play it on video footage. BUT the red lighting overhead on the square platforms (kind of like a toaster oven) coupled with the huge screen in back with the smoke effect was PERFECT!! The audience went crazy for it, and I think Lindsey added a bit more chaos to the end of the solo than I've seen him do before. For a band that shies away from theatrics and the over-the-top productions embraced by other bands, Fleetwood Mac nailed everything for this song, definitely the highlight of the night when considering other elements besides music coming together in the performance.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
True, but I'd argue that this time around (considering Fleetwood Mac shows and Lindsey's solo tour), the staging and lighting really emphasized the impact of the song. I've seen it live before and watched Lindsey play it on video footage. BUT the red lighting overhead on the square platforms (kind of like a toaster oven) coupled with the huge screen in back with the smoke effect was PERFECT!! The audience went crazy for it, and I think Lindsey added a bit more chaos to the end of the solo than I've seen him do before. For a band that shies away from theatrics and the over-the-top productions embraced by other bands, Fleetwood Mac nailed everything for this song, definitely the highlight of the night when considering other elements besides music coming together in the performance.
completely agree, they nailed it!!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default It

Its really cool how sisters isn't just a fa favorite it's consistently been her most positively reviewed song amongst the professionals

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
True, but I'd argue that this time around the staging and lighting really emphasized the impact of the song.
I could have been more clear. What I should have said was the sound of all those young kids clapping and hollering for one of my childhood heroes brought tears to my eyes. And of course the fact that it occured in Madison Square Garden. This song was brand new when I was in the 7th grade and I'm 51 now.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I could have been more clear. What I should have said was the sound of all those young kids clapping and hollering for one of my childhood heroes brought tears to my eyes. And of course the fact that it occured in Madison Square Garden. This song was brand new when I was in the 7th grade and I'm 51 now.
I agree that it's always been a highlight at FM shows, even though I don't like the studio version of the song, it's always swept me off my feet live, which is why his One Man Show performance of the tune left me feeling so deflated in comparison. I hated to see that happen to a song like this and don't think it should have been in that setlist.

It always sounds good with a band and this time around, ISA was especially scintillating. I don't know when/if FM might tour again and I'm so glad at least it's there, better than ever for 2013, no matter what happens in the future.

Michele