User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default In The Meantime

Here's a thought

I wonder if "in the Meantime" is a reference Chris is using for being back in England (i.e. Greenwich meantime) -- you know - all clocks around the world are syncronized based on the time in Greenwich England....

Just a thought - or maybe we're all starting to read too much into all things FM related.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown
Here's a thought

I wonder if "in the Meantime" is a reference Chris is using for being back in England (i.e. Greenwich meantime) -- you know - all clocks around the world are syncronized based on the time in Greenwich England....

Just a thought - or maybe we're all starting to read too much into all things FM related.
She does live near Greenwich and I believe her older brother works at the University there but I doubt that is the reason. Interesting idea though.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Meantime

Does meantime means something similar to "meanwhile"?
If so, I'd like to belive it means meanwhile she goes back to the band.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yeah, Villavic, "Meantime" is similar to "Meanwhile."

I just figured it was sorta Chris saying, "Fleetwood Mac's doing stuff without me nowadays, so in the meantime, here's a bunch of my own stuff." But then I'm simple like that. So whatever. :P
Old 05-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

p.s. --

I have to admit I was a little disappointed with the first single. This wasn't what I was hoping for. It's very predictable. I think for me, Christine was getting more and more adventurous in the studio - without a lot of people really knowing she was. If you look at some of her tracks on Mirage and a lot of the stuff she and Lindsey worked together on - on Tango In The Night, and then consider her tracks on Tusk, (along with some of her stronger stuff on Behind The Mask) you could make the case that she was never "coasting".

But the new single sounds very lazy to me. The kind of music she's done before - over and over.

Just my opinion. I guess I was holding out for a big Christine McVie surprise with this new record. Oh well. As long as she's happy...
Old 05-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
p.s. --

I have to admit I was a little disappointed with the first single. This wasn't what I was hoping for. It's very predictable. I think for me, Christine was getting more and more adventurous in the studio - without a lot of people really knowing she was. If you look at some of her tracks on Mirage and a lot of the stuff she and Lindsey worked together on - on Tango In The Night, and then consider her tracks on Tusk, (along with some of her stronger stuff on Behind The Mask) you could make the case that she was never "coasting".

But the new single sounds very lazy to me. The kind of music she's done before - over and over.

Just my opinion. I guess I was holding out for a big Christine McVie surprise with this new record. Oh well. As long as she's happy...
I love her new single! I think it is better then any of the singles on the SYW album, but maybe that is because I am pretty burnt out on that album. It is just that I have heard it over and over again to the point where I crave new music!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 05-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think Christine is doing what a lot of artists do, put out a "safe" single that will gain airplay and sales and leave the more adventurous stuff on the album. I still am confident that Christine gets a little more experimental with other songs on there but experimental does not = airplay. It's kind of like "Say You Will" in that matter. We're never ever gonna hear "Red Rover" on the radio are we?
Old 05-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali
I think Christine is doing what a lot of artists do, put out a "safe" single that will gain airplay and sales and leave the more adventurous stuff on the album. I still am confident that Christine gets a little more experimental with other songs on there but experimental does not = airplay. It's kind of like "Say You Will" in that matter. We're never ever gonna hear "Red Rover" on the radio are we?
True, Ali. But has she ever done something as experimental as Red Rover is?

Old 05-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ali:

So this is the single from the new album? Or was it just a random track that the dj played? But as far as radio goes, I never heard any of FM's "safe" singles( "Peacekeeper", "SYW", "Thrown Down", "Steal Your Heart Away") on the radio either. So I really don't know what the answer is for FM/Christine to get airplay, if there is one.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm not saying anything on her new album will be like "Red Rover" or anything that experimental. I've only heard "You Are" so I can't say much.

Getting played nowadays really seems like a crapshoot. I mean, sometimes your label can influence it but in the US at least, if ClearChannel won't play it, you're screwed. Christine's airplay thus far in England has been on shows closer to her target demographic. I doubt we'll hear much of anything on this side of the pond.

I've only heard SYW stuff a few times on radio but I think it's more a case of there just not many good outlets for FM anymore. They're not pop/Top 40 and the new stuff usually can't get played on Classic Rock and Adult Contemporary seems to be a dying genre.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
True, Ali. But has she ever done something as experimental as Red Rover is?
Well if anyone is just expecting something like that I would say I must laugh at that very possibility. Come on, let's get serious. When Christine McVie releases an album, please expect a Christine McVie album, period. If you want more "experimental" stuff perhaps you would like more Lindsey Buckingham solo material or some of the current Fleetwood Mac stuff. Perhaps this album is a little more "agressive" in terms of sound (or lyrics) than Christine's previous material but I don't think her essence as a pop songwriter will ever vanish. And I, personally, enjoy that a lot.

Song of the moment - Nothing Ever Changes
Old 05-08-2004, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian
Well if anyone is just expecting something like that I would say I must laugh at that very possibility. Come on, let's get serious. When Christine McVie releases an album, please expect a Christine McVie album, period. If you want more "experimental" stuff perhaps you would like more Lindsey Buckingham solo material or some of the current Fleetwood Mac stuff. Perhaps this album is a little more "agressive" in terms of sound (or lyrics) than Christine's previous material but I don't think her essence as a pop songwriter will ever vanish. And I, personally, enjoy that a lot.

Song of the moment - Nothing Ever Changes
Yeah, I mean you're not going to get Keith Emerson. You're gonna get blusey pop from the master of bluesy and catchy meloncholic tunes. I love it cos it's honest pop.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
You're gonna get blusey pop from the master of bluesy and catchy meloncholic tunes. I love it cos it's honest pop.
Exactly. And, that's what I want to hear from Christine. I don't consider pop to be a dirty word like some do. Leave something like "Red Rover" & stuff like that to someone else. After hearing Sharon's description of this record, I do have a feeling that this album might have just a bit more of a slightly funky, bluesy sort of feel to it than her solo record 20 years ago. I agree about radio airplay. I doubt it'll do much here in the U.S. But, it sounds like it is getting some airplay now in the U.K which is a nice surprise for me. I also don't think she did this album purely to sell records. I'm sure she's pretty realistic about how things are now.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
I love her new single! I think it is better then any of the singles on the SYW album, but maybe that is because I am pretty burnt out on that album. It is just that I have heard it over and over again to the point where I crave new music!
Same here, "You Are" is a wonderful song in my opinion and better than the SYW single releases. I just have a feeling her music is going to be the classic Christine sound we all know and love.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default In the Meantime

Quote:
p.s. --

I think what we have with You Are is a classic Christine McVie love song - maybe some of the other songs will be a little more adventurous - but don't hold your breath. You should check out the lyrics of some of songs:

http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/album...rics/liar.html

Now who could that be about?

Gail