The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > The Penguin > The Ledge Boards

Old 10-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Commericalization of site?

I have no problem with Marty profiting from his own site, especially when the expenses of running it are taken into consideration. However, what's up with allowing bootleggers to cull the boards for business selling bootlegs to our members? Are there no rules for posting commercial come-ons by profiteering bootleggers? I know a lot of fans collect and trade boots. I'm not one of them, but that's not the reason I'm asking for clarification on this topic. I was under the impression that boot ownership is mostly done on a not for profit basis with trades among real fans. One specific boot seller has been using this site all summer to sell videos of the tour. To top it off, several fans have complained about his less than professional services. Am I the only one not comfortable with allowing profit-making bootleggers like him to use the Ledge boards for business?

Comments anyone?
Old 10-24-2003, 07:04 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Hi Miranda--

I see it is a few days after you posted this now but I wanted to comment on it. That post was deleted from the Ledge a few days ago. It was at the author's request and also, after just double checking, such activity does violate the FAQ:

Quote:
Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation for sale products, services or other websites
If similar activity does occur in the future too, I would encourage you and others to use the 'Report this post to moderator' link at the bottom of each post so that it can be discussed and appropriate action taken on a case by case basis.

I also would like to add that-- by no means-- am I profiting from this site. I would be extremely pleased if it were possible to just break even.

- Marty
Old 12-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know this thread is probably old and no one will probably even see it (I didn't even know about this Board-I had some time to kill and was exploring the Ledge in much greater detail then I ever have) but...
I feel compelled to add that I too found it odd to see advertising going on here. However, (I say with my head hung in shame) I did inquire to this video seller about one show I really wanted to get. Then I saw all the posts abouts peoples experiences and I decided against purchasing. Well I continued to get multiple e-mails almost trying to harass me into a sale. I finally replied "I have read of numerous bad experiences with you so I am not interested. The only way I would consider is if you would send me a list of several customers to use for references" to which I never recieved a reply!
Thanks for remedying this Marty (and I had never noticed the "report this post..." before or I would have)