User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
At least he didn't put $5k a night up his nose like a couple of his bandmates did.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Perhaps he found out that he couldn't. I understand cocaine significantly raises the possibility of seizures. It certainly was the party drug of choice then . . . and now for many people.
Poor Lindsey. Chalk that up to another thing that he failed at that Stevie succeeded in. First it was the solo career, then the chemical dependancy. The guy can't catch a break. He had to settle for a posh suite at the Four Reasons while she snorted white powder and was falling off stages.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Perhaps he found out that he couldn't. I understand cocaine significantly raises the possibility of seizures. It certainly was the party drug of choice then . . . and now for many people.

Yeah, that's possible. Marijuana seems to PREVENT seizures, so that's probalby why he chose THAT as his "vice"...plus, it is MUCH more cost efficient.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, that's possible. Marijuana seems to PREVENT seizures, so that's probalby why he chose THAT as his "vice"...plus, it is MUCH more cost efficient.
Yep. There you go. It's medicinal.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are a few more quotes from some articles.

this is one from Fall 1997:

Not only that, Fleetwood figures his sharper mental focus should enable him to hold onto his money this time around. And there should be plenty of it. A 44-city reunion tour of Fleetwood Mac's most famous five members, began on Sept. 17 in Hartford, and ends Nov. 30 in Washington. It is expected to bring Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie and John McVie about $3.5 million each, according to several industry experts. In addition, the tour should pump up sales of their old albums and generate about $600,000 more apiece in royalties.

Several industry executives believe the current tour is more of a financial imperative for Fleetwood than for other members of the band. Though he declined to comment specifically on his net worth, he would say only half-kidding, "I'm not broke if that's what you mean." Whereas in contrast, Buckingham is said to have held onto his money, and Ms. Nicks has earned income from hit solo albums and royalties for songs she wrote

The one gig that doesn't hold much charm for him is poring over his investments. For that, he relies on Stubner and his third wife, Lynn Frankel, a 34-year-old former public-relations executive, whom he married in 1995 after a six-year relationship. Her late father had overseen Fleetwood's investments until his death two years ago. Fleetwood's lack of curiosity about the way Ms. Frankel's father handled his money says much about his interest in the topic. "I don't know the specifics," Fleetwood said. "My wife's father had an adviser. Her father was very much into that whole New York Wall Street thing. He did very well."

This one is from 1994 and it's Stevie herself who says she had blown most of her money and couldn't qualify for a mortgage:

USA Today, August 16, 1994

Nicks Shedding Gypsy Ways
by Shawn Sell

COLUMBIA, Md. - Like a 70’s flashback, Stevie Nicks is on stage again.

But behind her dated Dickensian, style - she loves those platform boots and fringed shawls so much she grocery shops in them - is a 46-year-old woman making some 90’s changes.

Such as taking a bus on her current Street Angel tour instead of a private jet. "It's cost-cutting," admits rock'n'roll's gypsy princess. "A difference between $700 a day or $5,000 a day."

She stopped smoking "December 12" she says, and her voice has never been in better shape.

And she left her rented home outside L.A. after the last big quake. "I found a house I really want, a very special house in Phoenix," confides the former Fleetwood Mac lead singer. "But my mom says I have to pare down - she says right now I couldn't even qualify for the mortgage."
Old 07-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Rolling Stone Oct 1997:

"You know," says Nicks, who still wears chiffon but is a good deal more battle-hardened (and speaks a bit deeper) than the hippie priestess of one's former imaginings, "Lindsey made a whole lot more money than everybody else did because he produces. The producers get paid first. And he probably didn't spend nearly as much money as everybody else did; he lives way simpler. So he didn't have to do this for money, you know. The rest of us would all like to put something away for, you know, our golden twilight years. But he has to want to do it, or we don't want to do it either."
Old 07-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
At least he didn't put $5k a night up his nose like a couple of his bandmates did.
He certainly did his share in the 70's and early 80's. Wasn't that (the band's consumption) and the excesses the reason why Mick states the Tusk tour grossed millions and no one made any money

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Oh, I agree. I'm sure her managers wrangled to the death to get her even one grand more than Liddy Buck. But if Lindsey and his managers did not approve of it, they would have said sorry and would not have signed the contracts, resulting in a modern-day TITN.
I doubt Lindsey's top concern was whether or not he earned to the dollar the same amount as Stevie when he was deciding whether or not to tour.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
He spent the early money he inherited on some multiple track recorder.
That money was from some obscure aunt, and Lindsey has said that not only did he get that track recorder with it, it also enabled him to live for two years without working. Unfortunately those two years must have been up by the time Stevie and Lindsey went to L.A., lol.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
He certainly did his share in the 70's and early 80's. Wasn't that (the band's consumption) and the excesses the reason why Mick states the Tusk tour grossed millions and no one made any money
Apparently Stevie, Lindsey, and Chris disagreed that all the money had been spent to indulge their excesses. They believed that Mick had managed the money badly and they fired him as manager. Of course he's going to say it was all their fault.

As for the drug use, it's well-documented that he was nowhere near as into it as Mick and Stevie. That being said, he certainly did indulge back in the seventies - just watch Live in Japan! The man is seriously hopped up on something. But by 1982 he'd watched Carol Ann go into a downward spiral due to the white powder and I seriously doubt he touched it after then.

Last edited by sodascouts; 07-06-2004 at 08:23 PM..
Old 07-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Apparently Stevie, Lindsey, and Chris disagreed that all the money had been spent to indulge their excesses. They believed that Mick had managed the money badly and they fired him as manager. Of course he's going to say it was all their fault.

As for the drug use, it's well-documented that he was nowhere near as into it as Mick and Stevie. That being said, he certainly did indulge back in the seventies - just watch Live in Japan! The man is seriously hopped up on something. But by 1982 he'd watched Carol Ann go into a downward spiral due to the white powder and I seriously doubt he touched it after then.

According to an article in The Penguin's Blue Letter Archives,

http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.ph...x_v2&id=33&c=9

Another good article (more recent) posted on the Fleetwood Mac-UK site:

http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/artic...ticle1103.html

Lindsey had a seizure in Philadelphia in 1978. He should have been educated by the physicians to totally halt any use of cocaine at that time. Waking up on the floor disoriented, banged up, possibly incontinent - as many seizure patients find after a major seizure - all of that should be more than enough persuasion to give up the powder, anyhow. Perhaps that seizure saved his life and his pocket change, unlike the other members of the band. I don't think he necessarily quit playing with cocaine out of any "virtuous" decision. EVERYONE was using it. Had he not had a seizure, Lindsey might not have quit using it either. I'd venture there would be a few more FM members falling off the stage. Stevie didn't quit until she was told by a physician that she could have brain damage. I have been reading a bit about cocaine, and unfortunately, there is more than a financial price to pay. There can be permanent damage and brain atrophy.

Lindsey seems to have plenty of energy naturally - even NOW! It's fortunate that he got away from it.

Last edited by Tango; 07-06-2004 at 08:59 PM..
Old 07-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts

I just do not buy that about any of them. I never thought CM was really into it, but in that last interview she was like I stayed up for three days on it and DP and almost had a heart attack. I think they were all way, way into it, esp. considering the tenor of the times. I think they all, with the exception of Mick, stopped at various points in the 80's. Stevie perhaps being the last in 86', which was only a few years after LB if he indeed stopped in 82. I personally think he and Stevie look coked out of their respective heads in the Mirage video. Interestingly, I wonder if Stevie staying in vogue more and continuing the hectic pace caused her to stop later. LB did not do as much from 1982 to 1986 as she did. According to the article, Chis says she quit in 84 or 20 years ago.

I think Stevie is just more open about her personal turmoil than LB, although LB clearly admits to having his own demons and he certainly does not deny doing it. In many respects she probably thought the public probably cared and had to know since she had reached huge popularity and great success. In other words, she thought it better to get it out in the open by her first than have the Enquirer put it on the front page first, etc., and have to deal with that as well as recovery.

In the end, I think they are both VERY wealthy. I just think Stevie's constant work and cover income perhaps caught up to LB's producer income, a large amount of which essentially stopped for eight to 10 years in 87 or 89 - although lessened, Stevie's did not. But, maybe his investments paid off for him. Hopefully, he did not lose 1/2 of that in the tech bubble and corp. fraud scandals on the late 90's and 2000-01. I know of few that did not. But, hopefully he did. I would not wish that on anyone

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-06-2004 at 09:00 PM..
Old 07-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
According to the article, Chis says she quit in 84 or 20 years ago.
Christine has always been the least vocal about her level of substance abuse. I get the feeling she, like John, was more of a drinker. Has she ever really said that she had a problem with anything?

I have to think that even sitting out this go-round, her wealth must still rival Lindsey and Stevie's, considering how many hit singles she had. Though I think she lives pretty high on the hog.

Maybe she put most of it up her nose, but surely Stevie has *earned* the most of all of them with her parallel solo career, something Lindsay and Christine never had.

Last edited by squealy; 07-06-2004 at 09:53 PM..
Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anybody around here know how much these people have? How on earth would someone know that -- unless he or she was a personal accountant or manager?

For all I know, Stevie Nicks could have $200 million or $29.99.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cour
And she left her rented home outside L.A. after the last big quake.
Did you ever notice how strangely the members of Fleetwood Mac react to earthquakes?

After the Sylmar quake in '71, Mick & Jeremy & John all thought the Apocalypse was on its way. And the '94 quake in Northridge sent both Stevie Nicks & Christine McVie packing, the former back to Phoenix & the latter back to England.

I must say, though, that Stevie's was a sensible reaction to the 1989 Loma Prieta quake: CANCEL THE SHOW!!

moviekinks.blogspot.com