User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2004, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
Everyone seems to be doing exactly what you just did gerald... Making a statement.
Yes, sometimes it's hard to pronounce subtlety in dialogue when you're not a native speaker. I wish I could. I have an opinion, though, and that's best reflected in a clear statement. Actually, I love statements.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What did I hear about a SMAPAA? Can I join?
Old 04-21-2004, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
What did I hear about a SMAPAA? Can I join?
Only if you know the right password

Old 04-21-2004, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

*whispers* IsniffAthinLine
Old 04-21-2004, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
*whispers* IsniffAthinLine
so you're IN!!!

Old 04-21-2004, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Not just that, I'm also very bored by my job today, can you tell?
(*snort*)
Old 04-21-2004, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
I'd have to say my least favourite Lindsey song off that record is the title track, and yet that is still amazing (although I've always felt it never worked very well live, I can't understand why they still play it over other Tusk tracks).
I know what you mean. The best live take I've seen, outside of the Dance video with the full marching band, was in Lindsey's solo tour. All those guitar slamming down those chords sounded rich and full.

Using an accordion in place of the marching band is very weak indeed. I haven't seen the band during the current tour, but with all the backing musicians and the right keyboard patch I bet they could do a decent job of making the song sound as boisterous as it should.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
Do you guys think Lindsey's Tusk songs are his darkest?
I suppose it contains some of his most bitter songs, which some people might find hard to relate to (although the actual sound is probably the biggest factor in why some people don't like it).
Bitter, yes, but not the darkest. To me, the SYW tunes have a darker undertone, closer to lead skies just before a thunderstorm. It starts with the whine of What's the World Coming To over a fairly upbeat tempo, then goes into the morass of Murrow, which grabs you by the lapels in the verses and then has you running around disoriented in a house of mirrors in the chorus. Then comes Illume, a dark and somber song in its own right with that faintly Middle Eastern drone. Then you have things like Miranda, which to me lyrically is about as good as it gets. I love the brutal, disturbing images in that song, the power of which is increased by the matter-of-fact delivery. Then comes the irony of Peacekeeper, then the humorous nastiness of Come, and let's not forget the darkest song of them all, Red Rover. I'm still not sure what the hell he's talking about, yet the song produces a sense of foreboding and discomfort.

There's also an undercurrent of paranoia in some of the songs, but that is not a new thing for Lindsey.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
So why did you do so??
We all have our demons, and sometimes they escape. By the way, check your e-mail inbox when you get a chance.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
Actually, I love statements.
Gerald, that is the best freakin' quote I've seen in a long time. I am going to use that some time. I really am.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Gerald, that is the best freakin' quote I've seen in a long time. I am going to use that some time. I really am.
Thanks, dude. I thought it was quite impressive myself . Yes, I'm a proud man. You can use it anytime you like.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We all have our demons, and sometimes they escape. By the way, check your e-mail inbox when you get a chance.
I'll check when I come home. Now I have to check my students in the dark room where they are developping pictures made with a soupcan. Oldfashioned, but the best friggin' way to learn about photography. (why am I telling this?)

Old 04-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bitter, yes, but not the darkest. To me, the SYW tunes have a darker undertone, closer to lead skies just before a thunderstorm. It starts with the whine of What's the World Coming To over a fairly upbeat tempo, then goes into the morass of Murrow, which grabs you by the lapels in the verses and then has you running around disoriented in a house of mirrors in the chorus. Then comes Illume, a dark and somber song in its own right with that faintly Middle Eastern drone. Then you have things like Miranda, which to me lyrically is about as good as it gets. I love the brutal, disturbing images in that song, the power of which is increased by the matter-of-fact delivery. Then comes the irony of Peacekeeper, then the humorous nastiness of Come, and let's not forget the darkest song of them all, Red Rover. I'm still not sure what the hell he's talking about, yet the song produces a sense of foreboding and discomfort.

There's also an undercurrent of paranoia in some of the songs, but that is not a new thing for Lindsey.
Very nice descriptions, I agree. Still, I'm still puzzling with the Tusksongs-lyrics, and their possible relations with suicide. Okay, from dark songs to dark rooms now...

Old 04-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Ledgie

Location: where FM, blink-182, norah jones, the shins, white stripes & cursive hang out!

"say you will" is lindsey at his darkest and finest, but we get lindsey’s best creative quirks on “tusk!” it’s astounding how he got his diverse slate of sounds onto an album which show him as the musical genius he is!

his lyrics are clever and inventive:

Slippin’ through your fingers
Watchin’ how it grows”

- Lindsey Buckingham from “The Ledge”

What makes you think I’m the one
Who will love your forever?
Everything you do has been done
And this won’t last forever”
Every little bit
Is there
To see
Every little bit
Of you
And me.

- Lindsey Buckingham from “What Makes You Think You’re the One?”

It’s not that funny is it
When you don’t know what it is
But you can’t get enough of it
It’s not that funny is it?

Lindsey Buckingham from - “It’s Not That Funny”

Her lips were waitin’
Her eyes looked sad
The dreams of a lifetime
A year gone bad
The dreams of a lifetime
Told me wrong
Everything is all right
And now it’s gone
Don’t blame me
Please be strong I know I’m not wrong
Here comes the nighttime
Lookin' for a little more
Waitin’ on the right time
Somebody outside the door
Don’t blame me
Please be strong I know I’m not wrong

- Lindsey Buckingham from “I Know I’m Not Wrong.” (my "tusk" original lyric booklet says “please 'me' strong” for the last line, but the reissue book has "please be")

and lindsey is the ultimate melodist! (on every album, really.)

my only complaint would be that there are not enough guitar-hero rave-ups on "tusk," but he’s more than made up for that now! besides, he plays everything else to perfection!

thank God lindsey doesn’t cave to formula to woo the mainstream
which would make him like “all the rest.” { Sigh }
Old 04-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

The entire album is timeless! I love all of Buckingham's TUSK cuts. SAVE ME A PLACE is one of the prettiest songs ever written. It's chorus triggers a sing-a-long!

After Nicks' and McVie's beautiful and dreamy numbers, Buckingham interjects the right dash of his concocted eclecticism where you least expect it, so the masterpiece never drags.

"I Know I'm Not Wrong," sings Buckingham. He's right!

Since the remasters were released, TUSK has become my favorite Fleetwood Mac album right next to SAY YOU WILL!