The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM
becca's Avatar
becca becca is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 939
Default

I'm starting to get excited in anticipation of the 2 lp Gene Clark demos set due to ship in September! Like Sandy Denny and a few others he has grown on me over time to become one of my all-time favorite artists (he was a founding member of The Byrds). Like Stevie Nicks, Sandy Denny and Bob Dylan his lyrics are metaphorical and personal, and unlike Bob (sorry) what a voice! Wow. Can't get enough.

http://sierrarecords.goestores.com/s...pt-269908.aspx

http://sierrarecords.goestores.com/s...-11526540.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-23-2016, 03:09 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I'm starting to get excited in anticipation of the 2 lp Gene Clark demos set due to ship in September!
Welcome back stranger.

I've got a feeling if we didn't live a million miles away
from each other that I'd be coming over to listen to your
vinyl.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-07-2016, 10:48 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,738
Default

A great vinyl day...

Linda Ronstadt Simple Dreams (Mobile Fidelity)

Linda Ronstadt Hasten Down The Wind (Mobile Fidelity)

Linda Ronstadt Prisoner In Disguise (Mobile Fidelity)

And the Analogue Productions version of...

Shelby Lynne Just A Little Lovin'


Can't wait to play them when I have the time!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Macfanforever's Avatar
Macfanforever Macfanforever is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wallyworld CT
Posts: 10,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
A great vinyl day...

Linda Ronstadt Simple Dreams (Mobile Fidelity)

Linda Ronstadt Hasten Down The Wind (Mobile Fidelity)

Linda Ronstadt Prisoner In Disguise (Mobile Fidelity)

And the Analogue Productions version of...

Shelby Lynne Just A Little Lovin'


Can't wait to play them when I have the time!
Great albums.My back is killing me after moving 1000's of records around the last few days.
__________________
Skip R........

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-10-2016, 01:15 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Great albums.My back is killing me after moving 1000's of records around the last few days.
Thanks. I've wanted those Ronstadt vinyl albums for a long time.
The Shelby Lynne album is supposed to sound better than the other
pressings.

1000's of albums? New pickups or just rearranging them?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Macfanforever's Avatar
Macfanforever Macfanforever is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wallyworld CT
Posts: 10,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Thanks. I've wanted those Ronstadt vinyl albums for a long time.
The Shelby Lynne album is supposed to sound better than the other
pressings.

1000's of albums? New pickups or just rearranging them?
Nothing new .Just moving all of then into one area.

I got some FM on (Mobile Fidelity).
__________________
Skip R........

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-11-2016, 12:23 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Just moving all of then into one area.
That can be a pain. This week I start a similar process.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-13-2016, 05:20 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,738
Default

Another day, another vinyl album...

Linda Ronstadt Mad Love (still sealed)

That completes my Ronstadt list.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-14-2016, 01:49 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,738
Default

Diana Krall Christmas Songs is due today.
Me likes.

__________________________________

A word of caution about collecting vinyl. Hopefully this
feeling will pass, but right now I'm kind of regretting my
return to vinyl.

I love the artwork. The sound can be better than CD's.
But everything has to be right.

I can't make up my mind if it's a good thing for OCD, or does
it cause OCD?

My compulsion has always been to chase the perfect sound.
I envy everyone that can just play an album on any system
without the process I go through.

Chase something you can catch.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-14-2016, 02:13 AM
Macfanforever's Avatar
Macfanforever Macfanforever is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wallyworld CT
Posts: 10,537
Default

Check your Goodwill and Salvation Army stores out.They usually have a good vinyl collections there.Today for 99 cents I picked up a 1970's country music completion album set with 6 lp's in great condition.It you buy plenty .You are helping other people.
__________________
Skip R........

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-16-2016, 02:46 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Check your Goodwill and Salvation Army stores out.They usually have a good vinyl collections there.Today for 99 cents I picked up a 1970's country music completion album set with 6 lp's in great condition.It you buy plenty .You are helping other people.
Sounds like a good idea. Though I don't have one of those
stores near me. Maybe 40 miles or so.

Diana's album arrived today with a bonus. The cover was
bent due to total lack of caring about packaging. I won't say
the name of the retailer, but there's a forest with a very similar
name.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-17-2016, 02:26 PM
KarmaContestant's Avatar
KarmaContestant KarmaContestant is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post

A word of caution about collecting vinyl. Hopefully this
feeling will pass, but right now I'm kind of regretting my
return to vinyl.

I love the artwork. The sound can be better than CD's.
But everything has to be right.

I can't make up my mind if it's a good thing for OCD, or does
it cause OCD?

My compulsion has always been to chase the perfect sound.
I envy everyone that can just play an album on any system
without the process I go through.

Chase something you can catch.
It just takes a balance. The all-or-nothing approach doesn't work with music when the best sound is what you are after. Some artists/labels/genres sound better on CD. Some sound better on vinyl. For instance, I'd *never* buy Depeche Mode on vinyl because it's music largely created with digital instruments. Also, some labels and some bands always release terrible digital-to-vinyl pressings that sound bad on any system. It can be hit or miss.

In other news.....

I pre-ordered the new Regina Spektor album that released on September 30. It was a 2LP, clear vinyl pressing with a lithograph and bonus tracks.

It arrived with the "CLEAR VINYL" sticker on it. But...it was black vinyl. I was super annoyed at first, so I wrote to Warner and let them know. Turns out, all off the copies that were supposed to be clear were pressed in black by mistake, so Warner is sending out new copies in clear vinyl to everyone who pre-ordered it. In the end, I get two for the price of one, and I'm ok with that.
__________________
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:48 AM
Macfanforever's Avatar
Macfanforever Macfanforever is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wallyworld CT
Posts: 10,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Though I don't have one of those
stores near me. Maybe 40 miles or so.

Diana's album arrived today with a bonus. The cover was
bent due to total lack of caring about packaging. I won't say
the name of the retailer, but there's a forest with a very similar
name.
Wow you got to travel .Thats to bad that Diana K got ruined.Yes .Lack of packing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
It just takes a balance. The all-or-nothing approach doesn't work with music when the best sound is what you are after. Some artists/labels/genres sound better on CD. Some sound better on vinyl. For instance, I'd *never* buy Depeche Mode on vinyl because it's music largely created with digital instruments. Also, some labels and some bands always release terrible digital-to-vinyl pressings that sound bad on any system. It can be hit or miss.

In other news.....

I pre-ordered the new Regina Spektor album that released on September 30. It was a 2LP, clear vinyl pressing with a lithograph and bonus tracks.

It arrived with the "CLEAR VINYL" sticker on it. But...it was black vinyl. I was super annoyed at first, so I wrote to Warner and let them know. Turns out, all off the copies that were supposed to be clear were pressed in black by mistake, so Warner is sending out new copies in clear vinyl to everyone who pre-ordered it. In the end, I get two for the price of one, and I'm ok with that.
Yes .I agree.Some of the later artists and bands dont sound great on vinyl as my friend said.Also I doubt much that Stevie and other older artists did not use the old 24 track analog recorders anymore to produce their latest vinyl albums.

I found these YT videos interesting.










__________________
Skip R........

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-18-2016, 01:27 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
It just takes a balance. The all-or-nothing approach doesn't work with music when the best sound is what you are after. Also, some labels and some bands always release terrible digital-to-vinyl pressings that sound bad on any system. It can be hit or miss.

I pre-ordered the new Regina Spektor album that released on September 30. It was a 2LP, clear vinyl pressing with a lithograph and bonus tracks...
Balance and all or nothing, sounds like you're reading me
pretty good. I think I need a life coach.

You're so right some titles are hit or miss. One of my new
acquisitions Prisoner In Disguise by Linda Ronstadt from
Mobile Fidelity really let me down soundwise. A premium priced
album (and a great one regarding the music) but failed the listening
test.

Sounds like you might have a collectors item with the new
Regina Spektor album. The name sounds familiar with one
I recently purchased. Ronnie Spector's English Heart signed
by Mrs. Spector. Not a bad album. I'll have to research Regina.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-18-2016, 01:37 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Wow you got to travel .Thats to bad that Diana K got ruined.Yes .Lack of packing there.

Yes .I agree.Some of the later artists and bands dont sound great on vinyl as my friend said.Also I doubt much that Stevie and other older artists did not use the old 24 track analog recorders anymore to produce their latest vinyl albums.

I found these YT videos interesting.
Yes, I live far away from EVERYTHING!

Diana K's replacement album arrived today. The cover
wasn't damaged but the vinyl inside had too many little
scratches. But where there's not scratches it sounds like
vinyl should.

I've watched some of those videos about vinyl being made.
I have many of the Jack White records. The only thing I
hate is his choice of record pressing plants. If you look in
the dead wax area and see a circled U that's a bad sign.
United Records - I loathe them.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat (Nicks)
$2299.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat (Nicks) pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee
$799.99
Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee)
$499.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee) pictureFLEETWOOD MAC A RARE PROOF ARTWORK FOR THE DANCE
$424.91
FLEETWOOD MAC A RARE PROOF ARTWORK FOR THE DANCE  pictureSIGNED - Mick Fleetwood "Mac" Drumhead 12" + Pic
$400.0
SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved