The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 12-24-2018, 12:49 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Pat's first two albums were pretty good for the genre...after that it was hit or miss . Her 1985 album Seven the Hard Way released within days of Rock a Little was a flop the likes of which Stevie would not see until Street Angel nine years later. The only good song that I recall on it was one called Le Bel Age.
Umm, this is a misleading post.

Seven The Hard Way was Benatar’s 6th studio album. Rock a Little was only Stevie’s 3rd. Seven went Gold and had two top 40 hits (Sex as a Weapon and Invincible) the same as Rock A Little. While Rock went platinum, it was a critical flop. Stevie’s 4th album, TOSOTM only managed to go gold and her 5th, Street Angel didn’t even do that until after The Dance. After the Dance, The Other Side went Platinum and Street Angel went Gold but it was only because of The Dance.

Stevie only had 2 non-patchy, good albums in the 80s, Bella Donna and The Wild Heart and they are the only ones that went multi platinum and that’s because they were the only ones that were actual good albums.

Last edited by Jondalar : 12-24-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 12-24-2018, 01:04 AM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I never insulted anyone. However, to make my point clearer, I can use your logic and antics. Maybe, just maybe stooping to your level will let you understand yourself.

While Stevie was coked out in her bathroom and up all night there for several years, Pat Benatar was recording and touring with quality music. Pat clearly took her career much more serious than Stevie. Stevie sort of withdrew while Pat worked hard.

Nuff said.
let me make this as simple as possible since we seem to have a language barrier. I was simply saying that Stevie sold her soul to the devil for fame, and that Pat hadn't. I'm sure that'll be turned into I'm insulting Pat. Again. Oy vey.

merry christmas.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 12-24-2018, 01:26 AM
cbBen cbBen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 542
Default

I consider even The Wild Heart to be patchy (but still good overall).

I'm agnostic on Benatar as I don't know her stuff. All I can say is that Stevie's output from 1973-83 is just astonishing.

Writing goes a long way with me. Benatar may have had to churn out an album a year, but she didn't have to write the songs. Stevie wrote a ton of great songs from 1972-82. That should count for a lot.

I know I'm speaking from a place of ignorance, but I can't imagine any album of Benatar's equaling Buckingham Nicks (yes I know Stevie had a duet partner there, but she wrote all the great songs; and in my view that album should have counted in her Hall Of Fame consideration).

As for Stevie's solo albums after 1983, the only good one so far as I am concerned is Trouble In Shangri-La (probably an apt description of Fleetwood Mac behind the scenes vis-a-vis the image they were trying to project).

Last edited by cbBen : 12-24-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 12-24-2018, 01:37 AM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 3,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Umm, this is a misleading post.

Seven The Hard Way was Benatar’s 6th studio album. Rock a Little was only Stevie’s 3rd. Seven went Gold and had two top 40 hits (Sex as a Weapon and Invincible) the same as Rock A Little. While Rock went platinum, it was a critical flop. Stevie’s 4th album, TOSOTM only managed to go gold and her 5th, Street Angel didn’t even do that until after The Dance. After the Dance, The Other Side went Platinum and Street Angel went Gold but it was only because of The Dance.

Stevie only had 2 non-patchy, good albums in the 80s, Bella Donna and The Wild Heart and they are the only ones that went multi platinum and that’s because they were the only ones that were actual good albums.
The Other Side of the Mirror went top ten and eventually platinum. Pat's final top ten album was 1982's Get Nervous. Talk to Me was a top 5 hit and I Can't Wait hit number 16 ..Sex as a Weapon did not even hit the top 20 and Invincible was an old hit from a film soundtrack that was tacked on the album so not really all that misleading to call Seven the Hard Way a flop.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 12-24-2018, 02:57 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
The Other Side of the Mirror went top ten and eventually platinum. Pat's final top ten album was 1982's Get Nervous. Talk to Me was a top 5 hit and I Can't Wait hit number 16 ..Sex as a Weapon did not even hit the top 20 and Invincible was an old hit from a film soundtrack that was tacked on the album so not really all that misleading to call Seven the Hard Way a flop.
Yeah, TOSOTM hit #10 and never managed to go Platinum until after The Dance, several years later. It spent most of its time in the buy back bins. It was Stevie’s 4th album. It also benefitted from Tangos huge sales.

It’s not fair of you to compare Seven to Rock A Little. Seven was Pat’s 6th album. Rock A Little was only Stevie’s 3rd and Pat never had The Dance like TISL (Stevie’s 6th) to prop it up. Stevie never even had a hit in her 6th.

Last edited by Jondalar : 12-24-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 12-24-2018, 09:21 AM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 3,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Yeah, TOSOTM hit #10 and never managed to go Platinum until after The Dance, several years later. It spent most of its time in the buy back bins. It was Stevie’s 4th album. It also benefitted from Tangos huge sales.

It’s not fair of you to compare Seven to Rock A Little. Seven was Pat’s 6th album. Rock A Little was only Stevie’s 3rd and Pat never had The Dance like TISL (Stevie’s 6th) to prop it up. Stevie never even had a hit in her 6th.
The two albums were released a couple of weeks apart so why not compare them.? I never even mentioned TISL..maybe you shouldn't post from your bed in the small hours of the morning.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 12-24-2018, 01:40 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,584
Default

All this business about "business," about sales? Is that what the RRHOF induction officially recognizes?

Why aren't the Captain and Tennille in the hall of fame? According to Wikipedia, they had five gold and platinum albums plus a bunch of hit songs.

Surely some other quality is operative in any decision about who gets inducted?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 12-24-2018, 06:08 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
The two albums were released a couple of weeks apart so why not compare them.? I never even mentioned TISL..maybe you shouldn't post from your bed in the small hours of the morning.
TISL is Stevie’s 6th album.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 12-24-2018, 06:38 PM
cbBen cbBen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 542
Default

It's not a fair comparison because, by 2001, the kind of music that was popular had changed markedly from when Pat's 6th album came out.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 12-24-2018, 08:23 PM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 3,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
It's not a fair comparison because, by 2001, the kind of music that was popular had changed markedly from when Pat's 6th album came out.
Thank you
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 12-30-2018, 09:32 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 10,534
Arrow 2019 RnR HoF nominee selection

not sure whether this was posted somewhere here already, but since you all are discussing Benetar, the fact she was considered and why was SN selected as a nominee may fit here:

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blo...19_Ballot.html

The Inside Scoop on the 2019 Rock Hall Ballot
October 15, 2018 08:04 PM Filed in: 2019 Ceremony | Rock Hall Politics

Nominating Committee member Alan Light joined DJs Nik Carter and Lori Majewski on SiriusXM to announce the 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees last week. Light revealed fascinating information about the discussions in the nominating meeting that led to this year’s ballot. Here are some of the highlights:

Alan Light personally used his two picks to advocate for Janet Jackson and The Cure, and got both on the ballot.

Light felt that Janet Jackson deserved one more chance on the ballot this year because of increased exposure as a result of her tour and other awards.
The Nominating Committee has been rotating through The Cure, The Smiths and Depeche Mode on recent ballots, but Light felt the time was right to give The Cure another chance because of their 40th anniversary shows and other publicity.

When asked why Judas Priest wasn’t nominated again after doing well in the fan poll last year, Light revealed that they had done “horrendously” in the actual Voting Committee tally, so they decided to shift the focus to Def Leppard.

Majewski mentioned that the Nominating Committee now has 30 members -- 23 men and seven women (up from six last year). Light said there were 28 people in the room this year (Seymour Stein was calling in from L.A., as revealed on the Who Cares About the Rock Hall? podcast.)
Light stressed that the Nominating Committee crafts the ballot in a way where they try not to nominate artists who are in a similar lane, so as not to split the vote.

Alan Light regarding the Stevie Nicks nomination: ”In the Nominating room, Pat Benatar came up, Cyndi Lauper came up, The Go-Go's came up and the Eurythmics were in this conversation, and not that it comes down to this, but the women in the room really did start to coalesce around Stevie and push things that way out of the mix that was there. That was the one that --and it's silly to say that women are one piece of what's here-- when it's women of the 80s, I don't think you put Pat, Cyndi and Stevie on a ballot together in the same way that you don't put The Cure, The Smiths and Depeche on the ballot together. It was actually the women in the committee who sort of led the focus to Stevie out of that list.”

Alan Light said that Dave Grohl was responsible for getting Devo nominated this year and Paul Shaffer is behind The Zombies appearances on the ballot.

Light admitted that the Nominating Committee did in fact take the Rock Hall Museum’s Voice Your Choice visitor poll into account when considering the nominees. Stevie Nicks and Def Leppard were the top two leaders all summer and both were nominated. Rock Hall Foundation President Joel Peresman for some reason tried to deny the poll’s influence to the Plain Dealer, "The new in-museum voting system does not factor into the nomination process as the members of the nominating committee aren't made aware of that. And we rely on their independent thinking, which in this case happened to match up.”

Light mentioned that David Fricke has previously advocated for The Guess Who and that Stevie Van Zandt tries to nominate Procol Harum every year.

Rock Hall Museum President Greg Harris and Rock Hall VP of Education and Visitor Engagement Jason Hanley both joined the show to discuss the nominees. Each separately mentioned how cool it was that Stevie Nicks would become the first woman to be a multiple inductee.

Despite having written a book about him, Light didn’t think Jeff Buckley should be inducted into the Rock Hall.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/Nom..._Committee.php
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominating Committee

2018
Jon Landau, chairman
Sandy Alouete
James Bernard
Nathan Brackett
Cliff Burnstein
Anthony DeCurtis
Reginald C. Dennis
David Dorn
Bill Flanagan
David Fricke
Elysa Gardner
Holly George-Warren
Meg Griffin
Dave Grohl
Greg Harris
Mike Kaufman
Lenny Kaye
Rick Krim
Alan Light
Rob Light
Amy Linden
Tom Morello
Amanda Petrusich
Robbie Robertson
Paul Shaffer
Seymour Stein
John Sykes
Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson
Steven Van Zandt
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 12-31-2018, 03:14 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
not sure whether this was posted somewhere here already, but since you all are discussing Benetar, the fact she was considered and why was SN selected as a nominee may fit here:

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blo...19_Ballot.html

The Inside Scoop on the 2019 Rock Hall Ballot
October 15, 2018 08:04 PM Filed in: 2019 Ceremony | Rock Hall Politics

Nominating Committee member Alan Light joined DJs Nik Carter and Lori Majewski on SiriusXM to announce the 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees last week. Light revealed fascinating information about the discussions in the nominating meeting that led to this year’s ballot. Here are some of the highlights:

Alan Light personally used his two picks to advocate for Janet Jackson and The Cure, and got both on the ballot.

Light felt that Janet Jackson deserved one more chance on the ballot this year because of increased exposure as a result of her tour and other awards.
The Nominating Committee has been rotating through The Cure, The Smiths and Depeche Mode on recent ballots, but Light felt the time was right to give The Cure another chance because of their 40th anniversary shows and other publicity.

When asked why Judas Priest wasn’t nominated again after doing well in the fan poll last year, Light revealed that they had done “horrendously” in the actual Voting Committee tally, so they decided to shift the focus to Def Leppard.

Majewski mentioned that the Nominating Committee now has 30 members -- 23 men and seven women (up from six last year). Light said there were 28 people in the room this year (Seymour Stein was calling in from L.A., as revealed on the Who Cares About the Rock Hall? podcast.)
Light stressed that the Nominating Committee crafts the ballot in a way where they try not to nominate artists who are in a similar lane, so as not to split the vote.

Alan Light regarding the Stevie Nicks nomination: ”In the Nominating room, Pat Benatar came up, Cyndi Lauper came up, The Go-Go's came up and the Eurythmics were in this conversation, and not that it comes down to this, but the women in the room really did start to coalesce around Stevie and push things that way out of the mix that was there. That was the one that --and it's silly to say that women are one piece of what's here-- when it's women of the 80s, I don't think you put Pat, Cyndi and Stevie on a ballot together in the same way that you don't put The Cure, The Smiths and Depeche on the ballot together. It was actually the women in the committee who sort of led the focus to Stevie out of that list.”

Alan Light said that Dave Grohl was responsible for getting Devo nominated this year and Paul Shaffer is behind The Zombies appearances on the ballot.

Light admitted that the Nominating Committee did in fact take the Rock Hall Museum’s Voice Your Choice visitor poll into account when considering the nominees. Stevie Nicks and Def Leppard were the top two leaders all summer and both were nominated. Rock Hall Foundation President Joel Peresman for some reason tried to deny the poll’s influence to the Plain Dealer, "The new in-museum voting system does not factor into the nomination process as the members of the nominating committee aren't made aware of that. And we rely on their independent thinking, which in this case happened to match up.”

Light mentioned that David Fricke has previously advocated for The Guess Who and that Stevie Van Zandt tries to nominate Procol Harum every year.

Rock Hall Museum President Greg Harris and Rock Hall VP of Education and Visitor Engagement Jason Hanley both joined the show to discuss the nominees. Each separately mentioned how cool it was that Stevie Nicks would become the first woman to be a multiple inductee.

Despite having written a book about him, Light didn’t think Jeff Buckley should be inducted into the Rock Hall.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/Nom..._Committee.php
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominating Committee

2018
Jon Landau, chairman
Sandy Alouete
James Bernard
Nathan Brackett
Cliff Burnstein
Anthony DeCurtis
Reginald C. Dennis
David Dorn
Bill Flanagan
David Fricke
Elysa Gardner
Holly George-Warren
Meg Griffin
Dave Grohl
Greg Harris
Mike Kaufman
Lenny Kaye
Rick Krim
Alan Light
Rob Light
Amy Linden
Tom Morello
Amanda Petrusich
Robbie Robertson
Paul Shaffer
Seymour Stein
John Sykes
Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson
Steven Van Zandt
What a great post!! So it was women who got Stevie the nomination.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 12-31-2018, 03:18 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
not sure whether this was posted somewhere here already, but since you all are discussing Benetar, the fact she was considered and why was SN selected as a nominee may fit here:

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blo...19_Ballot.html

The Inside Scoop on the 2019 Rock Hall Ballot
October 15, 2018 08:04 PM Filed in: 2019 Ceremony | Rock Hall Politics

Nominating Committee member Alan Light joined DJs Nik Carter and Lori Majewski on SiriusXM to announce the 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees last week. Light revealed fascinating information about the discussions in the nominating meeting that led to this year’s ballot. Here are some of the highlights:

Alan Light personally used his two picks to advocate for Janet Jackson and The Cure, and got both on the ballot.

Light felt that Janet Jackson deserved one more chance on the ballot this year because of increased exposure as a result of her tour and other awards.
The Nominating Committee has been rotating through The Cure, The Smiths and Depeche Mode on recent ballots, but Light felt the time was right to give The Cure another chance because of their 40th anniversary shows and other publicity.

When asked why Judas Priest wasn’t nominated again after doing well in the fan poll last year, Light revealed that they had done “horrendously” in the actual Voting Committee tally, so they decided to shift the focus to Def Leppard.

Majewski mentioned that the Nominating Committee now has 30 members -- 23 men and seven women (up from six last year). Light said there were 28 people in the room this year (Seymour Stein was calling in from L.A., as revealed on the Who Cares About the Rock Hall? podcast.)
Light stressed that the Nominating Committee crafts the ballot in a way where they try not to nominate artists who are in a similar lane, so as not to split the vote.

Alan Light regarding the Stevie Nicks nomination: ”In the Nominating room, Pat Benatar came up, Cyndi Lauper came up, The Go-Go's came up and the Eurythmics were in this conversation, and not that it comes down to this, but the women in the room really did start to coalesce around Stevie and push things that way out of the mix that was there. That was the one that --and it's silly to say that women are one piece of what's here-- when it's women of the 80s, I don't think you put Pat, Cyndi and Stevie on a ballot together in the same way that you don't put The Cure, The Smiths and Depeche on the ballot together. It was actually the women in the committee who sort of led the focus to Stevie out of that list.”

Alan Light said that Dave Grohl was responsible for getting Devo nominated this year and Paul Shaffer is behind The Zombies appearances on the ballot.

Light admitted that the Nominating Committee did in fact take the Rock Hall Museum’s Voice Your Choice visitor poll into account when considering the nominees. Stevie Nicks and Def Leppard were the top two leaders all summer and both were nominated. Rock Hall Foundation President Joel Peresman for some reason tried to deny the poll’s influence to the Plain Dealer, "The new in-museum voting system does not factor into the nomination process as the members of the nominating committee aren't made aware of that. And we rely on their independent thinking, which in this case happened to match up.”

Light mentioned that David Fricke has previously advocated for The Guess Who and that Stevie Van Zandt tries to nominate Procol Harum every year.

Rock Hall Museum President Greg Harris and Rock Hall VP of Education and Visitor Engagement Jason Hanley both joined the show to discuss the nominees. Each separately mentioned how cool it was that Stevie Nicks would become the first woman to be a multiple inductee.

Despite having written a book about him, Light didn’t think Jeff Buckley should be inducted into the Rock Hall.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/Nom..._Committee.php
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominating Committee

2018
Jon Landau, chairman
Sandy Alouete
James Bernard
Nathan Brackett
Cliff Burnstein
Anthony DeCurtis
Reginald C. Dennis
David Dorn
Bill Flanagan
David Fricke
Elysa Gardner
Holly George-Warren
Meg Griffin
Dave Grohl
Greg Harris
Mike Kaufman
Lenny Kaye
Rick Krim
Alan Light
Rob Light
Amy Linden
Tom Morello
Amanda Petrusich
Robbie Robertson
Paul Shaffer
Seymour Stein
John Sykes
Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson
Steven Van Zandt
Please post this in its own thread - it’s that important
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
MikeInNV MikeInNV is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,161
Default

Today on the Sirius XM channel Classic Rewind, DJ Kristine Stone played Silver Springs. When it ended, she mentioned that Stevie will be making history as the first woman inducted into the RRHOF twice. Then she added, "Take that Lindsey!" followed by a fake apology, "I'm sorry, but he has just rubbed me the wrong way for years."
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM
sue sue is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: berkshire
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Today on the Sirius XM channel Classic Rewind, DJ Kristine Stone played Silver Springs. When it ended, she mentioned that Stevie will be making history as the first woman inducted into the RRHOF twice. Then she added, "Take that Lindsey!" followed by a fake apology, "I'm sorry, but he has just rubbed me the wrong way for years."
While not wanting to incur the wrath of other posters....
I think that’s kind of funny,
I don’t know the dj in question and am not a taffetahead or whatever you are if you say a word against Lindsey...
But it made me laugh..

Last edited by sue : Yesterday at 06:40 PM. Reason: Missed a word
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Custom -Nicks
$2899.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Custom -Nicks pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks
$899.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee
$799.99
Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee)
$499.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee) pictureSIGNED - Mick Fleetwood "Mac" Drumhead 12" + Pic
$400.0
SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved