User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
The biggest rift to mend isn't between Jeremy Spencer, and Peter Green; it's John McVie, and Peter Green. After all these years, John McVie is still angry that Peter Green tried to convince (then) Christine Perfect not to marry John. At the time Peter had his points, and he turned out to be correct. McVie was a raging alcoholic, as he was in Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Peter didn't drink at the time, so he felt above John with his "drugs of choice". In return, John McVie has convinced everyone (with Mick Fleetwood) that Peter Green completely lost his mind in Munich 3/70. The truth is in the middle. Peter's attitude towards music changed during early 1970, yet he played some of his best concerts in April of 1970. Green was not Syd Barrett, Roky Erickson, or Skip Spence. Green's decline was gradual. While LSD may have triggered Peter's illness, it may have taken longer to develop if he never took hallucinogens.

I reference the picture of John McVie kissing the side of Peter Green's head. It shows that McVie, and Green were very close friends at that time. I think Green's failed "intervention" may have altered Fleetwood Mac for the worse, at least for 1970-72.

Interesting, where did you get that info? A long time to bear a grudge. Green doesn't seem so keen on McVie either; unlike Mick he never got in touch or helped him during the hard years.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
If there were a double bill of the two bands it would be safe to say many of the old FM songs would be sung if for no other reason than more than half of Mick's bands repetoire is old FM songs or songs that the old FM covered themselves. As for Jeremy Spencer, he still does a few of the songs he did back then, like the revised "Dr Browm" that he labels as Doctor G and her still does Elmore James tunes. I personally don't think Mr Specer is that big on nostalgia for the old FM.

Would I love if Peter Green's FM featuring Jeremy Spencer got back together and play their old stuff? You bet I would. I think the idea of doing a collaborative album with all of the living and playing members is a nice one. John Mayall did a nice one a few years back called "Along For The Ride" which sadlly did not include Eric Clapton among others but did have Mayall, John McVie, Mick Fleetwood and Peter Green on the same song (along with Steve Miller) but not in the same studio at the same time

The cut is called "YO YO Man. I found out , to my chagrin when I was able to ask about the ccut to John McVie on this site, that he had no idea that Peter green was on the song with him. so it is fair to say a lot of legwork would need to be done to pull off such a feat again.

vinnie c
Yes, I was probably minimizing the effort it would take by saying that it shouldn't be difficult.

Even someone like Danny--who presumably would be unable to participate--maybe they could revamp a demo or something. I know Mick cares very much about ensuring that Danny gets money, and this would be a good way to put his work out there and get it sold. I guess the point is that a project like this could get done without waiting around for certain people--plus with no touring commitment (how could they?), Christine could come home.

sigh. Pardon me for drawing out the fantasy.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The following comments are made strickly from my point of view and are not based in any way, shape or form on anything John McVie has specifically said anywhere that I am aware of. These comments are strictly my interpretation of how John feels based on watching him in interviews and reading a very limited amount of things he's said on the subject (which I can't quote because I don't have the material). That being said:

It is my belief that John doesn't hate Peter. I think he genuinely hates those who provided Peter with the LSD and whatever other substances he injested in Munich. I think John may be disappointed in Peter for taking the drugs and later leaving the band, but I don't really think he hates Peter. John is very bitter about the fact that Peter was given those drugs and that it had such a devastating effect on Peter. It's my personal belief that John (and maybe even Mick) would have stuck with Peter had it not been for the "Munich incident" and kept the band together, moving more into the vein of "jam band" with a blues vibe to it. Certainly a good number of their songs (Oh Well, Rattlesnake Shake, Green Manalishi, I Loved Another Woman, and others) lend themselves well to "jamming" guitar solos that can go on for ages.

Even today, if Peter were to agree to a session either in the studio or on stage with Mick and John, I think John would jump at the chance.

Again, just my opinion based on watching John in interviews and so on. Nothing concrete to base any of my comments on at all. Just a feeling I have about it.

Last edited by sjpdg; 04-30-2010 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: incomplete post
Old 04-30-2010, 03:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
The following comments are made strickly from my point of view and are not based in any way, shape or form on anything John McVie has specifically said anywhere that I am aware of. These comments are strictly my interpretation of how John feels based on watching him in interviews and reading a very limited amount of things he's said on the subject (which I can't quote because I don't have the material). That being said:

It is my belief that John doesn't hate Peter. I think he genuinely hates those who provided Peter with the LSD and whatever other substances he injested in Munich. I think John may be disappointed in Peter for taking the drugs and later leaving the band, but I don't really think he hates Peter. John is very bitter about the fact that Peter was given those drugs and that it had such a devastating effect on Peter. It's my personal belief that John (and maybe even Mick) would have stuck with Peter had it not been for the "Munich incident" and kept the band together, moving more into the vein of "jam band" with a blues vibe to it. Certainly a good number of their songs (Oh Well, Rattlesnake Shake, Green Manalishi, I Loved Another Woman, and others) lend themselves well to "jamming" guitar solos that can go on for ages.

Even today, if Peter were to agree to a session either in the studio or on stage with Mick and John, I think John would jump at the chance.

Again, just my opinion based on watching John in interviews and so on. Nothing concrete to base any of my comments on at all. Just a feeling I have about it.
Yes, McVie's feelings are surely coloured by what happened in spring 1970. Maybe Mick and John would have stuck with Peter, but Peter didn't want to play with them anymore!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Interesting, where did you get that info? A long time to bear a grudge. Green doesn't seem so keen on McVie either; unlike Mick he never got in touch or helped him during the hard years.
There was a John McVie Q&A somewhere (not here) covering last year's tour. Someone asked an innocent question about Peter Green, and he goes off about the 1968 wedding with Christine. Using the Ledge Q&A, McVie forgives Green for his "opinions", yet that interview was before last year, and the Green BBC doc. If you use the BBC Peter Green documentary as a reference, John McVie has forgotten quite a lot from almost 40 years past. Mick Fleetwood would recall a moment, and John would say "oh yeah".

There's also a Ledge Q&A where McVie saw Green years later at The American Music Awards, and at the Hammersmith Odeon (year?). Apparently Green said some smart-ass remark, and John left to spend the evening with his family.

Of course don't forget Peter Green's ability to piss off John McVie in public, on stage. This prompted the infamous anti-Semitic comments. I know these two were very close friends. Green was the best man at McVie's wedding! The Mayall documentary interview filmed in 5/69 shows two good friends discussing their friendship, and influence thanks to John Mayall. It's quite possible that during the mid 70's when Christine, and John were about to divorce that Christine dropped the Peter Green night before wedding phone call bomb to John. If I were John, I'd feel betrayed, and quite angry.

Last edited by slipkid; 05-01-2010 at 12:15 AM..
Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Yes, McVie's feelings are surely coloured by what happened in spring 1970. Maybe Mick and John would have stuck with Peter, but Peter didn't want to play with them anymore!
I respectfully disagree. I think Peter would have stuck with John and Mick had they been willing to branch out in the same direction Peter was wanting to go at that time. I don't think Spencer would have gone along, but at this point, who cares?!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
I respectfully disagree. I think Peter would have stuck with John and Mick had they been willing to branch out in the same direction Peter was wanting to go at that time. I don't think Spencer would have gone along, but at this point, who cares?!

Peter Green was a man of the late 60's blues rock movement. He was not a member of the post-Woodstock era of rock music. Peter Green didn't like how ticket prices were rising for audiences to pay for larger PA systems. He was soundly rejected by the rest of FM when he floated the idea of donating more money for charity. I think that was the final nail in the coffin. It only took a free spirit party at a hippie mansion to convince Green that he needed to leave FM. What the rest of FM didn't realize is that Peter was "punched" in the stomach when the other members' of FM rejected his charity plan. In 1970, you'd think Green was completely nuts. Today, he would be seen as an humanitarian.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anyone have any news on the "tasty" (Mick's word) album Jeremy Spencer was working on, as discussed in this thread?

Been months without an update.

http://blog.jeremyspencer.com/

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Does anyone have any news on the "tasty" (Mick's word) album Jeremy Spencer was working on, as discussed in this thread?

Been months without an update.

http://blog.jeremyspencer.com/
Like you said, True Faith, as was discussed in this thread, all 32 tracks are done and almost mixed and mastered. Just looking for an appropriate label.

Last edited by jeremy spencer; 11-15-2010 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 11-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
Like you said, True Faith, as was discussed in this thread, all 32 tracks are done and almost mixed and mastered. Just looking for an appropriate label.
That's great news! Thanks so much for the update!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
32 tracks!?!?

amazing... and very exciting!

Thank you, Jeremy, for making sure we are all up to date on the album on which you IS working.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Good to read that.

Maybe that one is an appropriate label

http://www.rufrecords.de/

At least you would play some promo-gigs in Germany

Greets

K-H

PS Btw Your wife is from the Tauber valley, isn't she?

For the homesick

http://www.weingut-schurk.de/

Last edited by Karl-Heinz; 11-19-2010 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Error
Old 11-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default An idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl-Heinz View Post
Good to read that.

Maybe that one is an appropriate label

http://www.rufrecords.de/

At least you would play some promo-gigs in Germany

Greets

K-H

PS Btw Your wife is from the Tauber valley, isn't she?

For the homesick

http://www.weingut-schurk.de/

Tom Ruf would be good and yes, my wife Dorothea is from Bad Mergentheim. On top of that, 'Homesick' (an old Homesick James song from which he got his name), is a track from my latest batch.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

WOW! 32 tracks?!?! Are we talking a double album? I'd buy it!: thumbsup: (but, then, I'd buy it even if it only had 1 track! )
Old 11-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Tom Ruf would be good and yes, my wife Dorothea is from Bad Mergentheim. On top of that, 'Homesick' (an old Homesick James song from which he got his name), is a track from my latest batch.
Unfortunatelly I'm not a shareholder of RUF REC. :-)

You mentioned Mergentheim in this forum a few years ago, I remembered that when I bought some bottles at thar winegrower's.

Hope that your songs'll see daylight soon.